This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Genesis 6:3

#1_Rasl3rX_Posted 2/1/2013 8:46:14 PM
Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” ESV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment
#2dkcprjePosted 2/1/2013 8:47:19 PM
"The Bible is infallible."
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#3_Rasl3rX_(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:48:30 PM
clearly Jeanne Clement is the devil.
#4dkcprjePosted 2/1/2013 8:49:50 PM
Nah, she was just spiritless for a couple years.
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#5OrangeWizardPosted 2/1/2013 9:05:15 PM
That meant until the flood came.

120 years after God said this, the flood came.

Even after this verse, the bible still talked about people who lived over 120 years. How stupid would it be of God to overlook something like that?

So consider the evidence and come to a conclusion.
Was it:

A) The flood
or
B) A false prophecy

Let your bias decide. Obviously, B is a better choice for you atheists out there, but requires God to be holding the idiot ball.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#6LastManStandingPosted 2/1/2013 9:30:38 PM
from explanation which was said by the ow

3 [3] My spirit: the breath of life referred to in ⇒ Genesis 2:7. His days . . . years: probably the time God would still let men live on earth before destroying them with the flood, rather than the maximum span of life God would allot to individual men in the future.

---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/1/2013 9:58:46 PM
We were debating this in my BSF class (genesis is our book this semester). The verse and chapter itself does not explain when he exactly took the spirit away and when the 120 years started.
#8OrangeWizardPosted 2/1/2013 10:00:23 PM
So either God made a baffingly stupid oversight by allowing people to live over 120 years and be documented in the bible while doing so

Or he meant the flood.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#9_pigzigaccount5Posted 2/1/2013 10:28:45 PM
maybe it was just a generalization, not everyone lives 120 years
---
BEASTモードPIGZIGPIGZIGPIGZIGPIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG
PIGZIG PIGZIG PIGZIG
#10_Rasl3rX_(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 10:34:15 PM
Genesis 5:32 and Genesis 7:6

there goes the prediction argument, thats only 100 years, not 120. so nothing gives us the indication that it was about the flood.

Yeah, if God is, then he wouldn't be an idiot (or make mistakes like that), hence when I see the Biblical God make oversights, I follow the evidence and can conclude that the Biblical God isn't the real God (assuming such an individual exists) (this isnt even counting why he just didnt send Jesus then instead of doing this ridiculously cruel flood that fossil record disproves)

We were debating this in my BSF class (genesis is our book this semester). The verse and chapter itself does not explain when he exactly took the spirit away and when the 120 years started.

this is actually a good point. but spirit taking away? I would say its clear that its when the time is up, 120 years. as for when it begins. given the context I think its a safe assumption when he said it, but I will concede that it is that, an assumption.

also, just for good measure, Due. 31:2 he never abandons us. Of course then you can say that thats a different covenant, but then you gotta deal with john 1:1 and rom 2:15