This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The history of your conversions

#1Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/2/2013 5:32:25 PM(edited)
What with the two topics today, one conversion and one de-conversion, it got me wondering. What various beliefs/non-beliefs have all of you gone through in your life?

Me:

Catholic (raised Catholic, was one until age 12 and 7 months) > Non-denominational Christian (~3 months) > Angstheist (~2 years) > Atheist (~5 years) > (Atheist-leaning) Post-theist (2 years and counting)
#2DarkContractorPosted 2/2/2013 5:32:35 PM
basic theist (idk the word, just belief in some God), birth to age 13, fourteen, agnostic, fifteen to 20, strong atheist, Christian for half a year, and as of last night, agnostic atheist.
---
www.youtube.com/user/MisterPillow An apologetics channel on the Christian faith (And I'm better looking than Proudclad)
#3GBALoserPosted 2/2/2013 5:37:23 PM
Let's see...

Non-denominational Christian till 10 > Presbyterian (some smatterings of Catholicism thanks to an uncle) ~ 4 years > Assembly of God ~ 1 year> Nihilism ~ 2 months > Assembly of God ~ 6 months > Methodist ~3 months > Lutheran ~ 2 years > Agnostic ~ 6 years > Deist ~ 4 years
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#4WelshGamer82Posted 2/2/2013 5:57:40 PM
Atheist -> Theist of some description -> Evangelical Christian
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#5mercurydudePosted 2/2/2013 6:02:27 PM
Raised Christian (Baptist or non-denominational at times) > Dabbled in Wicca in early teens > Angstheist during mid-teens > Converted to Buddhism at 17 (a little more than ten years ago) and that's the path I've been on ever since. I've never really chosen a particular tradition in Buddhism, just read a little bit of everything. As I get older, I find I'm more and more influenced by Zen, though.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#6hunter_gohanPosted 2/2/2013 6:24:12 PM
Catholic from birth to 14 > Wiccan ~year > Atheist
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#7ElderMisanthropyPosted 2/2/2013 6:32:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Moorish_IdolPosted 2/2/2013 6:54:06 PM
Raised Baptist Christian ~20 years >>> Atheist ~2 years >>> Deist since and counting
#9almasbabyPosted 2/2/2013 7:14:55 PM
Catholic - Bhakti Yoga - Zen - Theist
#10JonWood007Posted 2/2/2013 8:04:07 PM
Raised Lutheran, went to catholic school when I was 11-14, stayed Lutheran, went to a fundamentalist Christian school 14-18 and picked up a lot of their beliefs. I literally thought the world was made in 6 days at one point.

In college I mellowed out a lot, combination of being exposed to other worldviews, taking some electives in Bible (since I did not know what I was gonna major in going in and felt around a bit). Became a moderate Christian more in line with my original Lutheran beliefs between 19-24 or so. Eventually at 24 I deconverted to agnostic atheism. With everything going on, it just felt intellectually dishonest to consider myself a Christian. I'm 25 now, whether I'll ever convert back remains to be seen, but honestly, at the very least, no intellectual argument has impressed me. Open to new evidence now though.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768