This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good quotes about Religion

#1ManaYukaPosted 2/2/2013 11:18:09 PM
Heres some from Carl Sagan, have some from George Calin aswell but please share more!

“Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature.”
-- Carl Sagan

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
-- Carl Sagan

“How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant?” Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths.”
-- Carl Sagan

---
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Favorite People- Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson
#2LastManStandingPosted 2/2/2013 11:20:56 PM
Atheism is from the devil. Satan's attempt to not only to object the existence of God, but also to object his existence, therefore allowing him to operate in your life with complete freedom.
Perfect crime.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#3ManaYuka(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 11:39:37 PM
Funny considering Satan is made up, as if you read the actual Torah there is no one known as Satan, only hasatan which is a title, much like Christ means Anointed, Satan means accuser. (anyone referred to as hasatan was only working UNDER god, not against god, but that was changed for the Christians so they could have an enemy figure. hasatan was someone that was helping God Smite Job for instance, not because of some bet like the Bible claims, but thats for another topic.)Guess he outdid Christians and came first before them, one upped god it seems! What a boss! though he seems to do that a lot, even the early christian scholars tried to explain the similarities between Jesus with Zues and other pagan gods by saying Satan came first and deceived everyone!

So I can see where your going with this, in your black and white world your either with god or agaisnt him!
---
#4I-NE-IVPosted 2/2/2013 11:56:28 PM
In the way that humans gave way to humanity and instinct was thrust off by morality, so did barbarism retreat before religion and man become a soul.
---
I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, not to hate them, but to understand them.
--Baruch Spinoza
#5LastManStandingPosted 2/3/2013 12:04:10 AM
Yukanna posted...
Funny considering Satan is made up, as if you read the actual Torah there is no one known as Satan, only hasatan which is a title, much like Christ means Anointed, Satan means accuser. (anyone referred to as hasatan was only working UNDER god, not against god, but that was changed for the Christians so they could have an enemy figure. hasatan was someone that was helping God Smite Job for instance, not because of some bet like the Bible claims, but thats for another topic.)Guess he outdid Christians and came first before them, one upped god it seems! What a boss! though he seems to do that a lot, even the early christian scholars tried to explain the similarities between Jesus with Zues and other pagan gods by saying Satan came first and deceived everyone!

So I can see where your going with this, in your black and white world your either with god or agaisnt him!

Satan makes an appearance right off the bat in Genesis 3, the snake that misleads the first parents.
Satan is not made up, the fact that you say he is made up, implies he has you. Satan is behind false religions and idols, mammons, basically all the evil of today's world.
When Michael and angles beat his sorry ass out of heaven, satan vow revenge on the Earth, and he knows his time is short.
---
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#6ManaYuka(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:12:20 AM(edited)
Ok last time, this is definitely for another topic...

Satan makes an appearance right off the bat in Genesis 3, the snake that misleads the first parents.

Again, in the original Hebrew Torah(where you Christians derived your bible from) the serpent was JUST a serpent, it wasn't "Satan", Lucifer, Devil whatever.

When Michael and angles beat his sorry ass out of heaven, satan vow revenge on the Earth, and he knows his time is short.

That came much later. All of Satan's back story is a fabrication, a story. There was no opposing figure to God in the Hebrew Torah.
---
#7str8KnowledgePosted 2/3/2013 12:14:03 AM
The first one is about atheism which isn't a religion. and the second one is about progress.
#8SpawnShadowPosted 2/3/2013 12:14:27 AM
LastManStanding posted...
Satan is not made up, the fact that you say he is made up, implies he has you. Satan is behind false religions and idols, mammons, basically all the evil of today's world.

Satan being the snake is an interpretation of Genesis. Granted, a common interpretation of it, but an interpretation nonetheless. Like claiming that the real world in The Matrix is actually some sort of secondary Matrix to let the humans think they escaped a false world and thus accept the false world that they're still in.
---
"Mjolnir: apply directly to the forehead."
Wanna know how to keep an idiot busy for hours on end? See quote for details!
#9LastManStandingPosted 2/3/2013 12:18:08 AM
Yukanna posted...
Ok last time, this is definitely for another topic...

Again, in the original Hebrew Torah(where you Christians derived your bible from) the serpent was JUST a serpent, it wasn't "Satan", Lucifer, Devil whatever.

That came much later. All of Satan's back story is a fabrication, a story. There was no opposing figure to God in the Hebrew Torah.

You are very confused my friend. Read some New Testament it shall refresh your thinking. And tell your Jewish friends to read Isaiah 53, which their rabbis are so afraid off. Peace.
---
#10QwelzaarKanePosted 2/3/2013 3:33:28 AM
LastManStanding posted...
Atheism is from the devil. Satan's attempt to not only to object the existence of God, but also to object his existence, therefore allowing him to operate in your life with complete freedom.
Perfect crime.

Fine with me tbh.
---
PSN: QwelzaarKane // Synonymous with nothing
Tekken Tag 2, Jak and Daxter, God of War 2