This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good quotes about Religion

#21DarkContractorPosted 2/3/2013 8:18:12 PM
DarkContractor posted...
guess that hope led no where, since the only one whos ever seen Satan was Job. I guess God really loves Job. Afterall, he gave him thousands of livestock while pretty much saying screw you to all the 3rd world nations. pretty much invalidates the whole "God uses the body of Christ to take care of those nations, and theyre not responding like that should" since Biblically thats not how it works. its just the only way theists can make it work for some reason. I wonder what reason that could be. God not existing is my top bet.

God's Mercy is incomprehensible. What Earthly king would allow his subjects to insult him and live, yet God those. Glory to you oh God, in your infinite love and mercy, Holy is your name, forever and ever. Amen

The Geneva Open Challenger is a tennis tournament held in Geneva, Switzerland since 1988. The event is part of the ATP challenger series and is played on outdoor clay courts. It is held at Drizia-Miremont Tennis Club. Two-time Swiss champion Stanislas Wawrinka would later enter the world top 10 in the ATP rankings in 2008.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#22DeadPresidents2Posted 2/3/2013 9:12:54 PM
Some of my favorite religious quotes, all said by Albert Einstein:

"I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations."

"The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

And then I get in the mood for sarcasm and open up ten Mark Twain tabs to have myself a good chuckle.
---
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
#23Mike_StantonPosted 2/3/2013 9:17:43 PM
"I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God."
-CS Lewis
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#24Julian_CaesarPosted 2/3/2013 10:43:22 PM
"I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God."
-CS Lewis

Rather deceptive to post a pre-conversion quote from a person who spent the better part of their productive literary life discussing post-conversion beliefs like the "Trilemma", don't you think?
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#25Mike_StantonPosted 2/4/2013 9:04:56 AM
-CS Lewis

Rather deceptive to post a pre-conversion quote from a person who spent the better part of their productive literary life discussing post-conversion beliefs like the "Trilemma", don't you think?

Nope. He said that while he was talking about the trilemma.
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#26Julian_CaesarPosted 2/4/2013 5:47:26 PM(edited)
-CS Lewis

Nope. He said that while he was talking about the trilemma.

In which book or essay? I'd like to see that in context if you don't mind.

EDIT: Mere Christianity has a whole section on Lewis trying to "characterize" the Trinity, in which he clearly equates God/Jesus/Holy Spirit. Are you sure your quote isn't taken from the part where Lewis is explaining other peoples' views on Jesus? Because that seems much more likely, as the entire point of the trilemma (according to Lewis, mind you) was to do away with the notion that Jesus could just be a great moral teacher.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#27Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/5/2013 7:14:48 PM
*reads original post*

Not a single one of those quotes has any application to what i believe, how i practice what i believe, or how i understand what i believe in the god of the bible.

fail/10
#28AdmiralBisonPosted 2/6/2013 1:55:14 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
*reads original post*

Not a single one of those quotes has any application to what i believe, how i practice what i believe, or how i understand what i believe in the god of the bible.

fail/10

It actually does.

It advocates a common theme against the dogmatic and emotional appeals of Religion.
That is skepticism , investigation/scrutiny and courage.

Have you ever doubted your religious denomination and its beliefs and further investigated those doubts?
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#29fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 2:22:25 AM
Polish_Crusader posted...
*reads original post*

fail/10

Aren't you the one who always says that you don't practice "religion" you just practice Christianity? Why did you take these quotes as personal attacks against your faith? I didn't see anything about "Christianity" specifically in any of those quotes.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#30almasbabyPosted 2/6/2013 1:47:07 PM
DarkContractor posted...
DarkContractor posted...
guess that hope led no where, since the only one whos ever seen Satan was Job. I guess God really loves Job. Afterall, he gave him thousands of livestock while pretty much saying screw you to all the 3rd world nations. pretty much invalidates the whole "God uses the body of Christ to take care of those nations, and theyre not responding like that should" since Biblically thats not how it works. its just the only way theists can make it work for some reason. I wonder what reason that could be. God not existing is my top bet.

God's Mercy is incomprehensible. What Earthly king would allow his subjects to insult him and live, yet God those. Glory to you oh God, in your infinite love and mercy, Holy is your name, forever and ever. Amen

The Geneva Open Challenger is a tennis tournament held in Geneva, Switzerland since 1988. The event is part of the ATP challenger series and is played on outdoor clay courts. It is held at Drizia-Miremont Tennis Club. Two-time Swiss champion Stanislas Wawrinka would later enter the world top 10 in the ATP rankings in 2008.

Oh, noes! LMS has blown DarkContractor's mind!