This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good argument for people who ask "why does God let bad things happen".

#1EDIFlCATIONPosted 2/3/2013 4:28:48 PM
I understand the argument that you might give a believer, but what's the argument for someone who is thinking about joining but can't wrap there head around this issue?
---
http://i.imgur.com/PLA1y.jpg
Izual - Common Sense Applies.
#2GBALoserPosted 2/3/2013 4:34:13 PM
"I don't know."

That's really the best answer out there.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#3IamvegitoPosted 2/3/2013 4:34:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodicy
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#4C_MatPosted 2/3/2013 4:43:00 PM
God can't just snap His fingers and remove suffering; the suffering would just come back, right? The real problem is the evil that causes suffering. For God to totally do away with suffering, He'll have to get rid of all the evil in the world, too. And someday (on the Christian POV) He will. But if He got rid of it right this second, all the non-Christians would be toast- everybody is guilty of evil acts at some point in their lives. The evil is inside all of us, not something we can just blame on other people.

So the problem of suffering is really a problem of evil, and the problem of evil will exist until God decides the world has had enough of it. Until then, He is being kind enough to let people have a chance to repent and have their sins forgiven.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#5LastManStandingPosted 2/3/2013 5:21:40 PM
Even out of the worst sin there could be good taken out of the consequences. Plus it gives you opportunity to pray for those that do evil in the world.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#6Moorish_IdolPosted 2/3/2013 6:21:18 PM
The way I've always answered it (even though I am a deist, I still consider the question for curiosity sake): If God didn't allow suffering or bad things to happen, we wouldn't need God. He'd be making himself useless. Whether or not that would be a noble thing to do is another matter.

But as I said above, as a deist I answer: he doesn't allow nor disallow suffering.
#7JonWood007Posted 2/3/2013 6:30:14 PM
Agnostic atheist here, I say it's because he isn't there.

Anyway, if you want a Christian answer, read the Bible. Half of it is dedicated to this question. Just be warned that it is full of many many different rationalizations that it may be confusing which ones apply to your current situation.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#8Mike_StantonPosted 2/3/2013 7:09:02 PM
As a strong atheist, the whole "why is there so much suffering?" argument is pretty weak.
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#9DarkContractorPosted 2/3/2013 8:14:20 PM(edited)
well it says in James 1:2 that its to produce Godlike character and strengthen us develop us etc. which contradicts all good things coming from God, this would be good things coming from trials and temptations. really its reconcilable depending of which of the explanations of the Bible you wanna use. If you go to my youtube channel (user misterpillow) I got a video on the problem of evil that I provided apologetics for when I was a Christian.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#10chukie_suePosted 2/3/2013 9:38:19 PM
Honestly I think the "problem" of evil is probably the most clear proof of God's existence and necessity. Unfortunately, however, I don't have the time to type it out. But I really don't think it's a problem at all.
---
"Christ is with those of humble mind, not with those who exalt themselves over his flock." -St. Clement of Rome.