This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good argument for people who ask "why does God let bad things happen".

#11LastManStandingPosted 2/3/2013 10:22:29 PM
Also what I learned is to improve the world, first improve yourself. If every person did that, the world would be a better place.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#12AdmiralBisonPosted 2/4/2013 2:13:33 AM
LastManStanding posted...
Also what I learned is to improve the world, first improve yourself. If every person did that, the world would be a better place.

Yes.

People can improve themselves and be good without gods.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#13FlashOfLightPosted 2/4/2013 10:02:44 AM
What's "bad" is relative to time, and opinion. And historical circumstances that are known in the lives and histories of hundreds of figures and biographies, which we in this generation have a priviledge to find more about in, thanks to television and magazines, are a testament to how bad incidents trigger good reactions and better ends.

Just some simple examples: during great economic crises, certain political figures rose up and were pushed and driven onward to keep either their family from starving or ever going poor again. Many celebrities recount how these grave circumstances in their early childhood was what drove them to be the success in their respective fields that they are today.

Hundreds of inventions, that the populace takes for granted today, came about due to the extreme urgency that extreme weather conditions brought, or during the challenges of overcoming battles or war.

When diseases arose in history, some of the cures we have today were due to the great effort that doctors undertook to make sure that contamination would not spread further and wipe out more people, again these things are taken for granted in this generation, but Polio, Rubella, and the Mumps which are horrifying diseases, have been able to better be overcome and prevented in this generation because of what happened earlier in history.

That is concerning some things, as for others, they come about because the world flat out ignores, denies, and sets themselves blind to the 10 Commandments, and God's Laws, Statutes, and Judgments.
---
And out of this crust, put out your thrust, do what you must, try not to rust, as you turn to dust.
#14LunarAmbiencePosted 2/4/2013 10:38:21 AM
The top two counterarguments are
1) God is "evil," "harmful," not wholly "benevolent," or is indifferent and unsympathetic to human suffering
2) God isn't real

All other attempts at rationalization pretty well fall flat.
---
The above is both true and false.
#15kozlo100Posted 2/4/2013 10:46:34 AM
It is kind of a tricky question from the perspective of an almost-believer. The believer can say that God knows best, so suffering exists because it must. The non-believer will say it exists because God isn't there to stop it.

Trying to rationalize the existence of suffering without having the existence of God established one way or the other is much more difficult. I don't know that there is a good way to do it.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#16EDlFlCATlONPosted 2/4/2013 10:51:55 AM
FlashOfLight posted...
What's "bad" is relative to time, and opinion.

Well that's depends on whether you believe in God or not.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PLA1y.jpg
Izual - Common Sense Applies.
#17Far421Posted 2/4/2013 11:40:26 AM
I'd further ask the believer why suffering must exist in this world but not in heaven, should he or she believe in heaven.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#18almasbabyPosted 2/4/2013 12:39:54 PM
God doesn't want us to be comfortable relying on the world. He wants us to be comfortable in Him alone. That's why the world is a place of misery. It forces us to turn to God where our true happiness lies. He made the world as it is so it would be futile for us ever to find in it the fulfillment we seek.
#19fudrickPosted 2/4/2013 12:55:54 PM
FlashOfLight posted...
When diseases arose in history, some of the cures we have today were due to the great effort that doctors undertook to make sure that contamination would not spread further and wipe out more people, again these things are taken for granted in this generation, but Polio, Rubella, and the Mumps which are horrifying diseases, have been able to better be overcome and prevented in this generation because of what happened earlier in history.

Yeah! If god never would have made these diseases which have killed so many people, we wouldn't have cures for those diseases which wouldn't exist. Thanks, god!
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#20CuddleWithClawsPosted 2/4/2013 3:40:32 PM(edited)
Tales of Symphonia spoiler alert.

Because removing evil and the choice to be evil would make the world wind up like Cruxis and Welgaia from Tales of Symphonia :D
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.