This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good argument for people who ask "why does God let bad things happen".

#21kozlo100Posted 2/4/2013 3:42:58 PM
almasbaby posted...
God doesn't want us to be comfortable relying on the world. He wants us to be comfortable in Him alone. That's why the world is a place of misery. It forces us to turn to God where our true happiness lies. He made the world as it is so it would be futile for us ever to find in it the fulfillment we seek.

That is a profoundly disturbing notion.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#22PatriotwolfPosted 2/4/2013 4:09:07 PM
It's no surprise to me that atheists or agnostic may ask this question, as it shows simply a lack of understanding of the Bible. The Bible never says there will be no death, pain, suffering, etc... In fact, the Bible says that if you are a Christian, you will suffer more.

The "the world is so bad how can there be a god" argument is perpetrated mostly by angst and people realizing they don't like reality as it stands. And putting that on God shows a lack of fundamental understanding of the Bible and even the. Idea God himself.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#23fudrickPosted 2/4/2013 4:15:25 PM
Patriotwolf posted...
It's no surprise to me that atheists or agnostic may ask this question, as it shows simply a lack of understanding of the Bible. The Bible never says there will be no death, pain, suffering, etc... In fact, the Bible says that if you are a Christian, you will suffer more.

The "the world is so bad how can there be a god" argument is perpetrated mostly by angst and people realizing they don't like reality as it stands. And putting that on God shows a lack of fundamental understanding of the Bible and even the. Idea God himself.

You're right, only atheists ask this question.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#24DarkContractorPosted 2/4/2013 4:59:07 PM

and it damn well should. God's lack of concern is... unsettling. really, the Biblical life is barely distinguishable from the cold, neutrality of life and God's sudden lack of interference in the modern world is pretty unsettling.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#25DarkContractorPosted 2/4/2013 5:09:21 PM
God doesn't want us to be comfortable relying on the world. He wants us to be comfortable in Him alone. That's why the world is a place of misery. It forces us to turn to God where our true happiness lies. He made the world as it is so it would be futile for us ever to find in it the fulfillment we seek.

its been established like the majority of the skeptics on this board simply don't seek God because we don't believe he's there. its not some worldly pleasure we're addicted to (JonWood and I, and I'm sure others, stick to a pretty similar set of morals that Jesus taught, in fact). Literally all we would need is for Jesus to pretty much shout down from Heaven, "Hey guys, I'm real" and we'd turn to him. Of course, if he really is infinitely benevolent and loving, there shouldn't need to be any suffering to contrast this in order to illustrate it anyways. From: chukie_sue | #010
Honestly I think the "problem" of evil is probably the most clear proof of God's existence and necessity. Unfortunately, however, I don't have the time to type it out. But I really don't think it's a problem at all.

before you do, keep the goal in mind; you're supposed to distinguish our situation from life's neutrality. If you don't, it becomes speculation that lands you with the burden of proof.From: LastManStanding | #005
Even out of the worst sin there could be good taken out of the consequences. Plus it gives you opportunity to pray for those that do evil in the world.

God can also achieve good out of good. I understand the wages for our sins is death, by why suffer? Why not let it just be death?

Why would we want the opportunity to pray for evil doers? I think all of us would prefer the prayer "God, please let our peace continue" than "God, please quit letting people drown. Please quit letting fetuses miscarry. Please quit destroying people's lives, using a tsunami or tornado to leave them with literally nothing.etc. etc."

I think its bull because no matter what happens, its automatically a trial/tribulation. Some theists won't even have the guts to draw a line where they say "theres no way God would let that happen", even if in application that line hasn't been crossed yet.
---
#26PatriotwolfPosted 2/4/2013 9:50:04 PM
fudrick posted...

Atheists think the only answer too this questions is "I don't know" or otherwise use this ridiculous question to justify their atheism. It's like asking a scientist why the sun is the color that it is.

DarkContractor posted...
and it damn well should. God's lack of concern is... unsettling. really, the Biblical life is barely distinguishable from the cold, neutrality of life and God's sudden lack of interference in the modern world is pretty unsettling.

I'm pretty certain you would use the world as an excuse against God regardless of how it was. If there was peace, no hunger, etc... you would probably say we don't need God. You would move the goal posts regardless. So any retort you make is in effect, pointless.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#27fudrickPosted 2/4/2013 10:01:10 PM
Patriotwolf posted...
Atheists think the only answer too this questions is "I don't know" or otherwise use this ridiculous question to justify their atheism. It's like asking a scientist why the sun is the color that it is.

..what?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#28DarkContractorPosted 2/4/2013 10:05:24 PM
fudrick posted...

DarkContractor posted...

I'm pretty certain you would use the world as an excuse against God regardless of how it was. If there was peace, no hunger, etc... you would probably say we don't need God. You would move the goal posts regardless. So any retort you make is in effect, pointless.

strawman, can I get a real response?
---
#29DarkContractorPosted 2/4/2013 10:25:38 PM
btw, there is actually an answer for why the sun is the color that it is. we can scientifically explain every color. its just light bouncing off of objects. my shirt is brown. it actually absorbs every ray of light except brown's and reflects the exception. this is like grade school science.
---
#30fudrickPosted 2/4/2013 10:42:15 PM
DarkContractor posted...
btw, there is actually an answer for why the sun is the color that it is. we can scientifically explain every color. its just light bouncing off of objects. my shirt is brown. it actually absorbs every ray of light except brown's and reflects the exception. this is like grade school science.

Well, for the sun, it's more that only certain frequencies are being emitted. As for the various colors we can perceive the sun to be at different times, like during a sunset, that has to do with scattering and refraction of the light waves throughout the atmosphere.
---
Best FCs: