This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good argument for people who ask "why does God let bad things happen".

#31Far421Posted 2/4/2013 10:36:14 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
Tales of Symphonia spoiler alert.

Because removing evil and the choice to be evil would make the world wind up like Cruxis and Welgaia from Tales of Symphonia :D

Is heaven like that?
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#32almasbabyPosted 2/4/2013 11:37:09 PM
kozlo100 posted...
almasbaby posted...
God doesn't want us to be comfortable relying on the world. He wants us to be comfortable in Him alone. That's why the world is a place of misery. It forces us to turn to God where our true happiness lies. He made the world as it is so it would be futile for us ever to find in it the fulfillment we seek.

That is a profoundly disturbing notion.

It's like the parable of the prodigal son. He went on his merry way to find his fortune in the world and wound up with nothing. When he returned to his father he regained everything. It's been like this for me in my own life. If I seek my happiness in the world I come up empty. If I seek it in God I find a treasure I'm otherwise unable to find.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+15%3A11-32&version=NIV
#33PatriotwolfPosted 2/4/2013 11:59:05 PM
fudrick posted...

..what?

DarkContractor posted...

strawman, can I get a real response?

Not a strawman, just an example or your narrowmindedness and how no solution would possibly satisfy you.

If you need it simpler, ill be blunt. If you think the question in the OP is a valid one too ask, then you are ignorant of the Bible and God to the point that there is no reason for you to continue attempting to learn (much less criticize).

It's a very simple concept, and if you can't understand it, then just give up because there is no hope for you understanding the rest of the Bible. Other atheists understand this, you clearly don't
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#34fudrickPosted 2/5/2013 12:10:33 AM
Patriotwolf posted...
Not a strawman, just an example or your narrowmindedness and how no solution would possibly satisfy you.

"It's not a strawman, it's just an example of a position that you haven't actually put forth and which I am claiming that you hold!"
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#35kozlo100Posted 2/5/2013 10:11:42 AM
almasbaby posted...
It's like the parable of the prodigal son. He went on his merry way to find his fortune in the world and wound up with nothing. When he returned to his father he regained everything. It's been like this for me in my own life. If I seek my happiness in the world I come up empty. If I seek it in God I find a treasure I'm otherwise unable to find.

Except in the prodigal son, the father didn't intentionally act to make sure his son would fail unless he came home.

God crafting the world such that it is futile to look for fulfillment except by looking to him is the part that disturbs me. It's kind of like setting your ex-girlfriend up with your buddy and telling him to beat her so she'll see how much better you are and come back.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#36DarkContractorPosted 2/5/2013 10:21:44 AM

If you need it simpler, ill be blunt. If you think the question in the OP is a valid one too ask, then you are ignorant of the Bible and God to the point that there is no reason for you to continue attempting to learn (much less criticize).

It's a very simple concept, and if you can't understand it, then just give up because there is no hope for you understanding the rest of the Bible. Other atheists understand this, you clearly don't

poe confirmed?

is your idea of discipleship really telling me to give up and just go to Hell already? (really you telling me to give up is essentially you giving up on explaining it to me, I'd wager that makes you one of the lukewarm Christians in rev. 3:16. So I guess, see you there?)
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#37DarkContractorPosted 2/5/2013 10:22:25 AM
Patriotwolf posted...

"It's not a strawman, it's just an example of a position that you haven't actually put forth and which I am claiming that you hold!"

regardless, this.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#38Joe605Posted 2/5/2013 11:56:16 AM
Either he doesn't have the ability to stop suffering, doesn't have the desire to stop suffering, or doesn't exist. There are only three possible answers to this question.
---
Bowling IS a sport.
The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe in it.
#39FlashOfLightPosted 2/5/2013 12:34:45 PM
EDlFlCATlON posted...

Well that's depends on whether you believe in God or not.

Which is why I really have to engage in a mental miscarriage whenever I hear atheists bring up something that they refer to as "bad" to try to dismiss God's existence.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#40almasbabyPosted 2/5/2013 12:37:32 PM
kozlo100 posted...
almasbaby posted...

Except in the prodigal son, the father didn't intentionally act to make sure his son would fail unless he came home.

God crafting the world such that it is futile to look for fulfillment except by looking to him is the part that disturbs me. It's kind of like setting your ex-girlfriend up with your buddy and telling him to beat her so she'll see how much better you are and come back.

Does it matter how the father acted? The message is stick with your father. You don't have to venture into the world where disappointment is certain to await you. It's just good advice. The father in the parable actually gave no warning to his son, unlike Jesus who is giving us a fair warning through the parable.

Why should it be disturbing if only in God you can find the happiness you seek? What greater good is there than him? We're in the world to seek him out. That's our purpose. Stray from that and you suffer. It's not a setup. It's just the way it is, and we've been duly notified by the prophets.