This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good argument for people who ask "why does God let bad things happen".

#51almasbabyPosted 2/5/2013 8:21:02 PM
kozlo100 posted...
The pragmatic thing is to stay close, and I would do if I thought such was actually the circumstance in which I lived, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a disturbing situation.

Let's say God's nature is Love, as Paul declares in the bible. When is love at its height, when things are all rosy and there's no need for somebody to reach out and help, or when it seems like you're all alone without a friend in the world? Maybe this is God's plan, to create a scenario where the extent of his love is at its peak, when we need him most.

Just a thought. I know my heart would go out to a puppy shivering in the rain more than it would to one that's living in the home of a billionaire being treated better than most people. The first could really use some compassion. The latter not so much.
#52FlashOfLightPosted 2/5/2013 9:33:11 PM
Thuggernautz posted...

Just like an abusive spouse gives you warning not to do what they don't like or they'll break your nose.

Sounds like you don't like MMA.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#53DarkContractorPosted 2/6/2013 5:50:03 PM(edited)
You know, ultimately it will all come back to your personal relationship with God. If my dad says "I'll get you to work on time tomorrow" I trust he is not trying to deceive me. For me, I find the problem of evil down right silly sometimes in the same way I find it silly when people accuse my dad of being a cruel person (he's doing bill collections these days.) It's a lot easier for me, my dad's son, to see my dad for who he is, because he raised me. I've seen him in ways others just haven't. Now for someone who knows very little about him, they just know he's the big-evil bill collector scrooge.

I imagine in the same way, people hear about God ordering a genocide, and that's a big nugget to swallow. Then they hear him talk about love, acceptance, and taking the punishment of sin upon himself and -- they think "Those can't be the same person! The OT God is clearly evil. The NT God is too loving to be like that."

Well, people have a bad habit of judging people they haven't met. Those who have met God though, they know He's good, even if they can't justify all of His actions. I think a lot of us feel passionately when we hear God called evil, because He is so definitely very good it's like hearing a good person be slandered. It just doesn't seem right to us, that something so kind, loving, understanding, and gentle, would be unfairly criticized.

But as for the arguments themselves, there's no end to the problem of evil. You will never understand why every bad thing happens. Sure man let sin into the world, but sometimes that still seems unfair to us. It helps to know though, that God Himself was not exempt from suffering. If God Himself suffered and died, I don't think we should expect anything more. If anything should be exempt from suffering on account of man's sin, it should be God, and so seeing as how even the Lord suffered from our sin, how much more the rest of us.

A lot of us were Christians that all claimed to know God.

regardless, if your dad had an infinite amount of money but still went and made people poor, then he would not be a very moral person. honestly, you're saying that until we fall in love with God, we don't love God. Sorry we don't got biases like you, bro.

that said, this goes perfectly with thug's abusive spouse analogy. this is part where we're genuinely concerned and trying to have an intervention for you, and you go "You guys just don't know him the way I do!"
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#54kozlo100Posted 2/6/2013 5:52:06 PM
almasbaby posted...
Just a thought. I know my heart would go out to a puppy shivering in the rain more than it would to one that's living in the home of a billionaire being treated better than most people. The first could really use some compassion. The latter not so much.

This is what I'm getting at, there's a difference between feeling more compassion for a puppy in the rain and putting a puppy in the rain so you'll feel more compassion for it.

Setting up a bad situation for someone else in order to make them need you more is a disturbing thing to do.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#55almasbabyPosted 2/6/2013 10:07:06 PM
kozlo100 posted...
almasbaby posted...

This is what I'm getting at, there's a difference between feeling more compassion for a puppy in the rain and putting a puppy in the rain so you'll feel more compassion for it.

Setting up a bad situation for someone else in order to make them need you more is a disturbing thing to do.

The important thing to me is that the puppy isn't being left out in the rain. He will be saved from it. The question is if God created a perfect world for us to live in would we be grateful for it, or just take it for granted as people who have everything frequently do? Maybe a little imperfection is required so we can better understand the value of God's love.

I don't see it as malicious that we live in a world of sorrow. I just see it as essential to fully appreciate God as the only means of achieving true happiness, as opposed to things of the world. They will always fall short. That's why we're out in the rain, so we'll turn to God. He doesn't want us to get comfortable in a world that will never satisfy.

He made us for him and him alone.

"Our hearts were made for thee O God, and until they find thee they will know no rest." - Augustine
#56FlashOfLightPosted 2/7/2013 2:01:55 AM
almasbaby posted...
The question is if God created a perfect world for us to live in would we be grateful for it, or just take it for granted as people who have everything frequently do?

I'm writing a note down, for whenever evolution comes up in a future post.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!