This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

treat others as you want to be treated is the most accurate basis for morality

#1Forte89Posted 2/3/2013 8:35:20 PM
if everyone followed that line of morale, alot less harm will happen overall
---
3DS - 4897-5939-0401
#2Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/3/2013 8:38:18 PM
Except for some wedge cases like masochists and such, sure.
#3Forte89(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:09:59 PM
and how many cases out there involved a person causing harm to people to then in turn want to people to harm them?
---
3DS - 4897-5939-0401
#4OrangeWizardPosted 2/4/2013 6:18:22 PM
Accurate according to what bulls-eye?

and how many cases out there involved a person causing harm to people to then in turn want to people to harm them?

Suicide-by-cop
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#5squareandrarePosted 2/4/2013 6:46:55 PM
It may be the most useful, but it's definitely not the most accurate.

The most accurate would be the realization that what we perceive as right and wrong is a construction of evolution and communal societies. Our sense of morality is inconsistent, scale-dependent, and usually self-serving. Trying to impose a strictly logical system based on simple rules isn't an accurate model of our sense of right and wrong. It may be useful, but it isn't accurate.

Going a bit off-topic, this is the biggest issue I have with libertarians. It might not be such a big problem if libertarians didn't treat economics as a branch of morality.
---
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
#6Forte89(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:15:41 PM
squareandrare posted...
It may be the most useful, but it's definitely not the most accurate.

The most accurate would be the realization that what we perceive as right and wrong is a construction of evolution and communal societies. Our sense of morality is inconsistent, scale-dependent, and usually self-serving. Trying to impose a strictly logical system based on simple rules isn't an accurate model of our sense of right and wrong. It may be useful, but it isn't accurate.

Going a bit off-topic, this is the biggest issue I have with libertarians. It might not be such a big problem if libertarians didn't treat economics as a branch of morality.

with the part of selfserving, no matter how a person is(aside from suicidal), if they treated people like how they themselves want to be treated then it'd be easier on everyone as a whole.
---
3DS - 4897-5939-0401
#7darklaoPosted 2/5/2013 4:09:46 PM
The problem isn't with masochists so much as it is with, say, a privileged white upper-middle class male who thinks he wants to live all Randian coming and going because he has no perspective. He acts "as he wants to be treated" and even imagines his desires to be universable, even though he's actually painfully, horribly ignorant.

It's much better to treat others with compassion, regardless, imo, than to try to excuse bad/indifferent behavior based on your own ideas of what's "best" for you/your target.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#8kozlo100Posted 2/5/2013 4:19:36 PM
The trick of the golden rule is in the application.

You want people to treat you how you want to be treated, yes? So you don't treat other people how you want to be treated, you treat them how they want to be treated.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#9JonWood007Posted 2/5/2013 7:11:14 PM
To modify this a little bit: treat others as they would want to be treated.

Not everyone is the same. To treat others as you would want to be treated is nice, but what I like is not what someone else likes. It's good to at least attempt to treat others as they would like. I mean, I like video games, but it doesn't mean everyone does. So should I give everyone I know a video game for Christmas? No, because not all fo them would enjoy it. You got to play to the person's individual tastes.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#10Forte89(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:06:27 PM
JonWood007 posted...
To modify this a little bit: treat others as they would want to be treated.

Not everyone is the same. To treat others as you would want to be treated is nice, but what I like is not what someone else likes. It's good to at least attempt to treat others as they would like. I mean, I like video games, but it doesn't mean everyone does. So should I give everyone I know a video game for Christmas? No, because not all fo them would enjoy it. You got to play to the person's individual tastes.

thats irrellevent in terms of morality, because everyone wants to be treated with respect and kindness but not everyone is willing to be respectful and kind.
---
3DS - 4897-5939-0401