This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

treat others as you want to be treated is the most accurate basis for morality

#11OzymandiasIVPosted 2/5/2013 9:43:52 PM
Everyone wants to be treated with respect and kindness and all these other vague notions of things that are good, but there are many different ways in which to be treated well and not everyone is the same. One person may treat another with what they see as great respect and great consideration of value, but the person they are treating as such may not recognize that treatment for what it is and may be hurt because they don't perceive being treated respectfully or considered valuable.

And consider if someone is hurt through such a misunderstanding. I may want to be told in very blunt terms what has happened, but the other person involved might be sensitive to such bluntness and might offended if I speak so directly, even though I would be speaking how I would want to be spoken to. I might speak bluntly and upset or offend them or make them think it means I don't care, and they may speak delicately and I may interpret that as trying to avoid the discussion. Suddenly, Golden Rule doesn't do much good. I could list other examples, but that'd be redundant.

It's one of those ideal things that sounds great on paper but doesn't really work in real life.

Also, you've given me an interesting idea for a short story, so thanks for that.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#12Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/5/2013 9:46:50 PM
Actually, my own personal code is sort of like this: Treat everyone else AS IF they want others to treat them the way they want to be treated. So treat nice people nicely, and murderers with, um... jail time and death penalties, etc. There's some gray areas where I'll be nice even if others are mean, up to a certain point anyway.
#13fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 12:49:30 AM
I don't really care about being treated with kindness and respect.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#14Forte89(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:23:00 AM
OzymandiasIV posted...
Everyone wants to be treated with respect and kindness and all these other vague notions of things that are good, but there are many different ways in which to be treated well and not everyone is the same. One person may treat another with what they see as great respect and great consideration of value, but the person they are treating as such may not recognize that treatment for what it is and may be hurt because they don't perceive being treated respectfully or considered valuable.

And consider if someone is hurt through such a misunderstanding. I may want to be told in very blunt terms what has happened, but the other person involved might be sensitive to such bluntness and might offended if I speak so directly, even though I would be speaking how I would want to be spoken to. I might speak bluntly and upset or offend them or make them think it means I don't care, and they may speak delicately and I may interpret that as trying to avoid the discussion. Suddenly, Golden Rule doesn't do much good. I could list other examples, but that'd be redundant.

It's one of those ideal things that sounds great on paper but doesn't really work in real life.

Also, you've given me an interesting idea for a short story, so thanks for that.

i never said it would be perfect, there will be flaws thats caused by genetic predisposition.

we just have to hope more people have honesty than deviance in thier heart.
---
3DS - 4897-5939-0401
#15bratt100Posted 2/6/2013 5:50:11 AM
I'm willing to say this idea predates every religion, from the very first time a cave man shared his food with a stranger.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#16OzymandiasIVPosted 2/6/2013 2:50:58 PM
i never said it would be perfect

Okay. That's great. That doesn't really invalidate anything I said, because I never said you said it was perfect. Nor do matters of honesty or deviance really bear into what I was saying, at all.
---
#17fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 2:57:54 PM
So basically what you mean to say is:

"treat others as you want to be treated is the most accurate basis for morality...

... except when it's not."
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#18JonWood007Posted 2/6/2013 3:01:17 PM
Forte89 posted...
JonWood007 posted...
To modify this a little bit: treat others as they would want to be treated.

Not everyone is the same. To treat others as you would want to be treated is nice, but what I like is not what someone else likes. It's good to at least attempt to treat others as they would like. I mean, I like video games, but it doesn't mean everyone does. So should I give everyone I know a video game for Christmas? No, because not all fo them would enjoy it. You got to play to the person's individual tastes.

thats irrellevent in terms of morality, because everyone wants to be treated with respect and kindness but not everyone is willing to be respectful and kind.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that we should treat others the way they would want to be treated. If they want kindness and respect, the rule still applies.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#19OzymandiasIVPosted 2/6/2013 4:14:29 PM
So basically what you mean to say is:

"treat others as you want to be treated is the most accurate basis for morality...

... except when it's not."

Who are you asking? Me? If so, then no.
---
#20fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 4:24:56 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
Who are you asking? Me? If so, then no.

Nah, TC
---
Best FCs: