This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never understood why Christians value free will over safety from threat of Hell.

#41DrAlbertBanduraPosted 2/6/2013 9:53:00 PM
So then say God may want simultaneously for us to obey and disobey. Given that it's just as plausible and makes just about as much sense.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg
#42OrangeWizardPosted 2/6/2013 10:11:31 PM
So then say God may want simultaneously for us to obey and disobey. Given that it's just as plausible and makes just about as much sense.

Except that it isn't as plausible and doesn't make as much sense, since the bible says that he does want us to obey.
---
"Let's make this quick, I'm double-parked." - Two-face
#43Lord Lu BuPosted 2/6/2013 10:12:06 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Free will means little when you're punished with eternal torment for using it.

Topic should have ended here.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!
#44OrangeWizardPosted 2/6/2013 10:19:08 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Free will means little when you're punished with eternal torment for using it.

Topic should have ended here.

Except not all of us even believe in hell.
---
#45DrAlbertBanduraPosted 2/6/2013 11:03:57 PM
Except that it isn't as plausible and doesn't make as much sense,

In your assessment.

since the bible says that he does want us to obey.

The Bible is just used to perpetuate the sick, secret desire of this God.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
#46OrangeWizardPosted 2/6/2013 11:08:37 PM
The Bible is just used to perpetuate the sick, secret desire of this God.

Sure.

But then, nobody else is assuming the things you're assuming, so you're on your own
---
#47DrAlbertBanduraPosted 2/6/2013 11:42:06 PM
Hey, man. We're just making theories up that fit right now. Might as well go with any of them that aren't inconsistent.
---
#48dkcprjePosted 2/6/2013 11:49:01 PM
"You're a mad man. You've been born with the uncontrollable impulse to steal, murder, binge, adulterate, rape, and every other God-awful thing I can imagine giving you the ability to do. But I'm going to sit here and tell you that, and pay attention because there's no proof of this whatsoever, you can choose to believe in me and not do all those things and I'll let you into my awesome treehouse of fun; or you can do all those impulse things I just told you that you have because you have these urges that I gave you, but I'm going to blame you for all of it and then I'm going to send you to the worst detention you can imagine, there will be shrieking and burning and hacking forever and ever and ever (but I love you). Okay? So I'm going to release the restraints now. Please mind all the dangerous implements I've left around the room. Ciao!"
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#49OrangeWizardPosted 2/7/2013 12:03:38 AM
Hey, man. We're just making theories up that fit right now.

Well, that's what you're doing.

"You're a mad man. You've been born with the uncontrollable impulse to steal, murder, binge, adulterate, rape, and every other God-awful thing I can imagine giving you the ability to do. But I'm going to sit here and tell you that, and pay attention because there's no proof of this whatsoever, you can choose to believe in me and not do all those things and I'll let you into my awesome treehouse of fun; or you can do all those impulse things I just told you that you have because you have these urges that I gave you, but I'm going to blame you for all of it and then I'm going to send you to the worst detention you can imagine, there will be shrieking and burning and hacking forever and ever and ever (but I love you). Okay? So I'm going to release the restraints now. Please mind all the dangerous implements I've left around the room. Ciao!"

Welcome to the angstheist movement! Will you be staying long?
---
#50dkcprjePosted 2/7/2013 12:27:41 AM
Welcome to the angstheist movement! Will you be staying long?

Angstheist? Angs-theist? Angsty theist. That's what I get from that. I'm not a theist, thank you though!
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen