This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand Francis Collin's conversion.

#71UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:06:41 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...

Yay more insults and Ad hominem. If you want me gone you could always just leave my topic instead of trying to ruin it.

But it's still not an oversimplification. Seeing the mountains made him convert. Adding "Before that he read a book, then seeing the pretty mountains made him convert" isn't adding anything. The reason for conversion is still exactly the same.

Well actually it was a waterfall, according to the other sources. And yes it is an oversimplification. You wrote it specifically to appeal to ridicule as if the mountains were the only thing that caused his conversion and that such a view was 'stupid in of it self' [sic] and neglected to mention the years of reasoning and internal debate he had previously, the strength he had gotten from C.S. Lewis' treatise and that he was just waiting for the final sign to push him over.

In other words, you oversimplified his position.

It was a mountain (more specifically mountains) according to him. Which is what I am going off.

And saying "A book made him introspective so the mountain's design made him convert" is the same as saying "The mountain's design made him covert."

And it;s still stupid
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#72GBALoserPosted 2/7/2013 10:37:32 AM

It was a mountain (more specifically mountains) according to him. Which is what I am going off.

And saying "A book made him introspective so the mountain's design made him convert" is the same as saying "The mountain's design made him covert."

And it;s still stupid

Well, I guess it settles that. Collin's conversion was stupid because it was stupid. Need it be any more self-evident?

Seriously, come back when you have an actual question to ask other than, "Why does science man believe non-sciency things?" Because I gave the man's words that you chose to omit, and apparently that wasn't good enough. You've been challenged to explain why his conversion is less intelligent than Sabuni's deconversion, and you've failed to provide any answer other than "Because it is."

Or better yet, describe your own conversion/deconversion experiences, and let us analyze if it was "stupid."
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#73kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 1:57:47 PM

Is it just me, or did you just take a complicated sentence and remove information from it in order to turn it into a simpler one?

If only there were a word for that process, someone might be able to concisely point out that you are doing it.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#74UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 5:12:56 PM
GBALoser posted...

And it;s still stupid

Well, I guess it settles that. Collin's conversion was stupid because it was stupid. Need it be any more self-evident?

Seriously, come back when you have an actual question to ask other than,

I never asked a question, so this crack is incredibly stupid from a fundamental level.

But even ignoring that if you don't like the topic and are incapable of actually contributing to it, then you're welcome to leave and never come back.

I'd like to point out that I've made this exact same topic on 3 boards, here, CE and RI. And of those 3 this one has been the worst by a long way.

I think if you guys who are unwilling to contribute to the topic might want to spend some tine thinking about that.
---
#75GBALoserPosted 2/7/2013 5:52:10 PM

I never asked a question, so this crack is incredibly stupid from a fundamental level.

But even ignoring that if you don't like the topic and are incapable of actually contributing to it, then you're welcome to leave and never come back.

I'd like to point out that I've made this exact same topic on 3 boards, here, CE and RI. And of those 3 this one has been the worst by a long way.

I think if you guys who are unwilling to contribute to the topic might want to spend some tine thinking about that.

1) Your topic is you trying to figure out why Collin's converted. It is still a question, though not framed in an interrogative format.

2) Can't find your CE posting, but your RI posting was such the model of higher debate.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/403-random-insanity/65364192

3) The only one unwilling to contribute to this topic is you, the TC.

Considering we've been trying to pick your brain as in "Why is it stupid" or "Why is someone else's deconversion more intelligent", and your response is "Because it is", there's really only a few conclusions we can come to:

a) You're really new at this atheist thing, and you're trying to ridicule a Christian's conversion story;
b) You don't actually have a response to anything being presented to you, including the words of the very man describing the process of his conversion or explaining why someone else's deconversion is more "intelligent"; or
c) You're trolling us, and doing a really lousy job at it.

So, again, come back when you have an actual question of merit other than "Why does science man believe non-sciency things."
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#76Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 5:58:33 PM

You are more than welcome to hang your hat at either of the boards that are more to your liking, you know.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#77UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 6:17:03 PM
GBALoser posted...

1) Your topic is you trying to figure out why Collin's converted. It is still a question, though not framed in an interrogative format.

2) Can't find your CE posting, but your RI posting was such the model of higher debate.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/403-random-insanity/65364192

3) The only one unwilling to contribute to this topic is you, the TC.

Considering we've been trying to pick your brain as in "Why is it stupid" or "Why is someone else's deconversion more intelligent", and your response is "Because it is", there's really only a few conclusions we can come to:

a) You're really new at this atheist thing, and you're trying to ridicule a Christian's conversion story;
b) You don't actually have a response to anything being presented to you, including the words of the very man describing the process of his conversion or explaining why someone else's deconversion is more "intelligent"; or
c) You're trolling us, and doing a really lousy job at it.

So, again, come back when you have an actual question of merit other than "Why does science man believe non-sciency things."

I always laugh when people say "You're a troll, and a real bad one because none of us are annoyed!"

Well of course you're not annoyed because nobody is trolling. I just made an interesting topic and you're not adding anything to it other than Insulting me.

Why not actually defend the logic of his conversion or leave the topic?
---
#78Moorish_IdolPosted 2/7/2013 6:25:33 PM
We have defended the conversion. Just because you refuse to read our posts doesn't mean they don't exist.
#79UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 6:29:34 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
We have defended the conversion. Just because you refuse to read our posts doesn't mean they don't exist.

Show me anything you believe I have refused to read.
---
#80Moorish_IdolPosted 2/7/2013 6:30:52 PM
The first 50 posts at least.