This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So banning God from school allows things like Clumbine and Newtown...

#31Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 3:07:32 PM
fudrick posted...
Magyar15 posted...
No, it doesn't. And not allowing people to decorate with religious symbols, to me seems far more to be prohibiting the free exercise of religion, than allowing people to put up religious symbols, does to establish a religion. Because they happen to work on government property seems to be a trivial distinction

Surely you support the right of teachers to decorate their classrooms with Satanic art and objects, right?

Yes. I wouldn't necessarily like it, as it is pretty much by defintion against everything I stand for, but I think they have a right to it, as long as it doesn't distract the students too much
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#32Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 3:10:36 PM(edited)
fudrick posted...
Magyar15 posted...
There is a big difference between the government forcibly putting the ten commandments in a classroom, and forcibly taking them out...

Heineken didn't say anything about the ten commandments in a classroom. He said something about ten commandments in courts. And that certainly does happen:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/21/ten.commandments/

Yeah, thats what I meant; I mistyped. Sorry about that. And I don't see anything in the article about the government forcibly putting the monument in in the first place
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#33kozlo100Posted 2/6/2013 3:11:39 PM
It's always down to the details in these things.

You're a teacher, and you want to put up star of David in your locker, or even your cubicle in the back office or whatever? Fine, no problems there.

You want to do it in the classroom, that's a different story. That's not your personal space, it's a space specifically dedicated to a public institution carrying out it's primary function. Things displayed in such a space are deemed to have the implicit approval of the government, hence you can't display religious symbols.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#34fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 3:12:51 PM
Magyar15 posted...
And I don't see anything in the article about the government forcibly putting the monument in in the first place

How do you think it got there?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#35Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 3:13:46 PM
fudrick posted...
Magyar15 posted...
And I don't see anything in the article about the government forcibly putting the monument in in the first place

Someone put it up
---
#36kozlo100Posted 2/6/2013 3:15:57 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Someone put it up

And when they did that, they were acting as a representative of the court, and thus the government.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#37OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:16:07 PM
The first doesn't happen, the second does. The ten commandments were put in as decorations by individuals, not as as a mandate by the government. The government mandate came because people have trouble tolerating religion....

And just imagine how ticked off so many Christians would be if we included any kind of Muslim decoration in our courts.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#38Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 3:18:12 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
The first doesn't happen, the second does. The ten commandments were put in as decorations by individuals, not as as a mandate by the government. The government mandate came because people have trouble tolerating religion....

And just imagine how ticked off so many Christians would be if we included any kind of Muslim decoration in our courts.

I'd be ok with it. If a Muslim judge wanted to put in an Islamic decoration in his court, I wouldn't oppose him. To me, it would show that he is trying to uphold the highest standards of justice
---
#39OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:18:53 PM
fudrick posted...
Magyar15 posted...

Someone put it up

Yeah, someone just put it up without any kind of approval process by the courts, right...
---
#40OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:21:11 PM
I'd be ok with it. If a Muslim judge wanted to put in an Islamic decoration in his court, I wouldn't oppose him. To me, it would show that he is trying to uphold the highest standards of justice

Good for you. I wasn't addressing you specifically, and you're hardly representative of the people of this country as a whole...

But, what if his highest standards of justice, which are now apparently represented by his Muslim decoration in his court, not in compliance with your Christian standard of judgment, or, more importantly, with the US standard of judgment?
---