This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So banning God from school allows things like Clumbine and Newtown...

#41fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 4:23:20 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Someone put it up

Yeah, "someone" put it up. That "someone" was the chief justice of Alabama's supreme court. AKA: government
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#42Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 4:24:29 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
fudrick posted...
Magyar15 posted...
And I don't see anything in the article about the government forcibly putting the monument in in the first place

How do you think it got there?

Someone put it up

Yeah, someone just put it up without any kind of approval process by the courts, right...

Can't be sure, but my assumption is that he put it up in his capacity as an individual
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#43Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 4:28:40 PM
OzymandiasIV posted...
I'd be ok with it. If a Muslim judge wanted to put in an Islamic decoration in his court, I wouldn't oppose him. To me, it would show that he is trying to uphold the highest standards of justice

Good for you. I wasn't addressing you specifically, and you're hardly representative of the people of this country as a whole...

But, what if his highest standards of justice, which are now apparently represented by his Muslim decoration in his court, not in compliance with your Christian standard of judgment, or, more importantly, with the US standard of judgment?

Maybe not. But that doesn't mean I'm not right

I think you are misinterpreting me. It means he, as a person, would not show favoritism. But you seem to be inferring that a person's religious affiliations come into conflict with the law. Doesn't the 1st Amendment state that the law is in the wrong in this case (within reason).
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#44fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 4:30:09 PM
What kind of situation would you actually consider "government forcibly putting up a monument" then?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#45Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 4:34:42 PM
fudrick posted...
What kind of situation would you actually consider "government forcibly putting up a monument" then?

A state government mandating putting crosses up in every courtroom, including areas with predominatly Musim or Jewish populations
---
#46fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 4:36:31 PM
So it only counts if it applies to every courtroom in a state? That's... well, just stupid
---
Best FCs:
#47Magyar15Posted 2/6/2013 4:42:05 PM
fudrick posted...
So it only counts if it applies to every courtroom in a state? That's... well, just stupid

Don't be dumb. Its if the government puts it up, rather than an individual.
---
#48mercurydudePosted 2/6/2013 4:45:09 PM
Magyar15 posted...

There is a big difference between the government forcibly putting the ten commandments in a classroom, and forcibly taking them out...

You can have the Ten Commandments on the wall in a classroom, but you have to represent the other faiths, too. My World History teacher had them, but also had the Buddhist Eightfold Path, the Pillars of Islam, and something for Hinduism on there. She basically had a poster representing each of the world religions.

But the problem is that Christianity doesn't get to be treated as being the only/best religion, which is what Christian supremacists want, thus all the complaining.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#49fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 4:49:22 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Don't be dumb. Its if the government puts it up, rather than an individual.

Please explain to me how that monument is not a case of "the government puts it up"
---
Best FCs:
#50kozlo100Posted 2/6/2013 4:53:01 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Its if the government puts it up, rather than an individual.

Do you not think a judge in his courtroom is a representative of the government? What he says in there has is equivalent to the government saying it?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick