This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So banning God from school allows things like Clumbine and Newtown...

#61lastheroPosted 2/6/2013 7:00:12 PM
Magyar15 posted...
lasthero posted...

But we have a constitution, and that constitution says that there is a separation between church and state.

No, it doesn't. And not allowing people to decorate with religious symbols, to me seems far more to be prohibiting the free exercise of religion, than allowing people to put up religious symbols, does to establish a religion. Because they happen to work on government property seems to be a trivial distinction

They can decorate all they want...with their own property. The school is not their property. It belongs to the state.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#62fudrickPosted 2/6/2013 7:27:57 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Ask a stupid question...

You're the one who specified "as an individual"
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#63Julian_CaesarPosted 2/6/2013 10:34:18 PM
This was from a Facebook post I saw floating around:

>_<

I hate all those things, with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.
---
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
#64SSj4WingzeroPosted 2/7/2013 3:43:01 AM(edited)
kozlo100 posted...
It's always down to the details in these things.

You're a teacher, and you want to put up star of David in your locker, or even your cubicle in the back office or whatever? Fine, no problems there.

You want to do it in the classroom, that's a different story. That's not your personal space, it's a space specifically dedicated to a public institution carrying out it's primary function. Things displayed in such a space are deemed to have the implicit approval of the government, hence you can't display religious symbols.

But what about the teacher's desk? Isn't that a teacher's personal space, where a teacher does his or her own work? Teachers often have photos of their families and other sorts of things that represent their personal lives. It's different if it's hanging over a door, but if it's on a teacher's side of a desk, where the only person who really goes there is the teacher himself, then it's a different story, I think.

Also, what is everyone's take if students were the ones putting the decorations up? When I was in high school, a teacher of mine thought it'd be fun if he could reward the students by giving them a period to make some decorations and put them up on the walls of the classroom. He was later told by the administration that the decorations had to be removed because not every religion/belief was represented. In most scenarios, I'd get it, but what if it's the students themselves?

Edit: For the record, this whole "God is banned from schools" thing is stupid. You can pray in school, you can read the Bible in school, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. You can even minister to other students and hold school "Christian clubs" in public schools (provided they are student-led, as far as I recall).

What you can't do is make sure that everyone observes a religion in some way. I do think some of the stuff is overblown (i.e. changing the name from 'Christmas Break' to 'Winter Break') but it's honestly not such a big deal that it's worth fighting over. And anybody that relates school shootings to this...well, it's not the case.

America most certainly is a country steeped in violent culture and moral/social decay, but it's not because students aren't being forced to pray in the mornings...it's because people of all backgrounds are reneging on their responsibilities and allowing the country to go to hell.
---
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?
#65AngelicTouch99Posted 2/7/2013 3:47:51 AM
If only there had been more God in schools then there would have been no crusades, inquisition or salem witch burnings
#66Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 6:03:18 AM
^ I can't tell which side you are trying to make look bad.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#67Magyar15Posted 2/7/2013 2:06:34 PM
fudrick posted...
Magyar15 posted...
Ask a stupid question...

You're the one who specified "as an individual"

Haha. Got me there
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#68kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 2:07:05 PM
SSj4Wingzero posted...
But what about the teacher's desk? Isn't that a teacher's personal space, where a teacher does his or her own work? Teachers often have photos of their families and other sorts of things that represent their personal lives. It's different if it's hanging over a door, but if it's on a teacher's side of a desk, where the only person who really goes there is the teacher himself, then it's a different story, I think.

Case by case, but I imagine there exist circumstances where a teacher having a religious icon on their desk is fine. The reasonable person standard can be used to suss out when the line is crossed.

Same thing for the student created decorations. Depends what they're purpose is, but there are situations were it'd be fine, and others where it wouldn't.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#69AdmiralBisonPosted 2/10/2013 3:21:31 AM
Heineken14 posted...
I don't think it's really just about this false idea going around that Christians can't pray in school, I thinks it's the growing secularism in general public society that drives the fear for many Christians.

Again, it's not denying you from doing anything on your own or your own property, it's merely having the government not endorse one singular religion. No one's rights are being infringed when we don't put the 10 commandments in courts or force kids to say a prayer at school.

I'm not saying that Christian's can't pray school- it's an idea that keeps getting spread around hence why I said its false.

Im aware that Government is not meant to favour or endorse one particular religion over another.

I think the idea that Government should not endorse one Religion over another would be very clear to the majority of Christians if Muslim prayer was endorsed by government and in public schools as mandatory for non-Muslims
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?
#70bratt100Posted 2/10/2013 4:03:07 AM
AngelicTouch99 posted...
If only there had been more God in schools then there would have been no crusades, inquisition or salem witch burnings

These are old arguments and not really related to the current state of Christianity. It's my personal belief that the crusades where more of a political move then a spiritual one. What they did they did in the name of god but it seems to me that many people use god as a way to justify their own feelings rather the what is actually on page. This is what makes it so dangerous and acceptable to many.

After all of god wants you to kill these men then who are you to question that?
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.