This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question for non-Christians.

#1countzanderPosted 2/5/2013 11:09:30 AM
Do you become upset when people say unsaved people will end up in hell?

I expect many people will say yes. But why would a person become upset over something they consider such a silly insult? If a Muslim were to walk up to me and say, "countzander, you're going to hell." I wouldn't be offended. Ignoring my disbelief in the religion, I'm fully aware of what Islam teaches, and I'm prepared to accept the consequences, whatever they are. A similar logic should apply to anyone when accosted by such statements. Take the Westboro Baptist Church for example. They make egregious statements all the time, and despite the fact no one believes them, people actually give them the time of day and become pissed off.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#2kozlo100Posted 2/5/2013 11:16:17 AM
I tend not to get upset about much of what anyone says on the issue. That said, it's not about the accuracy of the statement, it's about the fact that they're judging you to be a bad person. That can sting no matter what the basis for the judgement.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#3DarkContractorPosted 2/5/2013 11:18:08 AM
this is akin to calling a woman a slut who actually is a virgin. She would still have every right to be upset, imo.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#4lastheroPosted 2/5/2013 11:30:55 AM
"Do you become upset when people say unsaved people will end up in hell?"

Depends on how its said.

If it's meant in a concerning way, like from a person who genuinely cares whether I'm saved or not, then it doesn't bother me much. After all, if I believed such a place existed, I wouldn't want anyone to go there, and I'd warn them.

More often than not, it's used as an insult, though. Why do I find it offensive? Well, compare it to any other insult. Saying that someone sleeps with their own mother is offensive, saying that someone is a female dog is offensive, but saying that someone is going to burn in torment FOREVER? That's something beyond offensive. Even if you actually believe it exists, to wish that fate on a person for any reason is in incredibly bad taste. I've had plenty of people I can't stand, plenty of people that piss me off, but I've never met anybody I hate so much that I would wish eternal torture on.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#5darklaoPosted 2/5/2013 11:34:50 AM
It depends on who's saying it. If it's said by some random a******, I don't really give a s***. If it's said by someone who is supposed to know and love me, then I invariably get super pissed. They should know better, frankly, and I have a reasonable expectation that they should be polite. After all, I don't go around telling them their brains are full of s***ty lies, do I? Nope.
---
[agitprop]
come and play come and play forget about the movement
#6mercurydudePosted 2/5/2013 11:41:59 AM
It's one thing to hear a statement like that once. It's another thing to be hear it over and over again to the point that you feel harassed. That's one of the reasons why I'm not as open about my religious beliefs as I used to be, and why I'm very careful as to who I share that information with. Even within my own family, there are only a handful of people who know I'm a non-Christian.

I would assume that you aren't surrounded by Muslims in the way that someone living in the Bible Belt (such as myself) is surrounded by Christians, so it's really no big deal to you if you hear that from a single Muslim. Likewise with the example of WBC that you used, that's a very small, but vocal Kansas church. They might travel a lot in order to be in the public eye, but you aren't going to find them everywhere you look.

There's also a certain smugness that comes with that attitude of I know where I'm going when I die and I'm going to be so much better off than you if you don't convert! I think the Landover Baptist Church forum spoofs it very well when they have all new users labeled as Unsaved Trash.
---
"I am going to light a fire in Paradise and pour water on Hell, so that both veils completely vanish." - Rabia Al-'Adawiyya
#7hamsandwich3141Posted 2/5/2013 12:08:30 PM
I don't get upset regardless of how its meant. If it's meant concerningly then I really have no reason to be upset, as I consider people's intentions to be much more important than their words. And if it's meant in a dickish way then those people aren't worth any of my time getting upset over. They can tell me whatever they like.
---
She went after her kids with super love, they turned into drugs. - LastManStanding
#8Moorish_IdolPosted 2/5/2013 12:54:50 PM
I get upset if it's used as a thinly veiled insult, but that is rare to hear outside of the extreme fundamentalists. But if someone is just saying it as a concern for me, there's no reason to get upset.

The only thing that confuses me is why some Christian's express their concern that I am Hell-bound when I clearly don't believe Hell exists. It's an awfully superfluous thing to say to me.

Also I'd say most Christians I've spoken to IRL don't believe in Hell as being eternal torture, but rather a second death. So when these people express concern, it's more of a "there's a better option" concern than a "you will feel everlasting pain" concern.
#9ThuggernautzPosted 2/5/2013 1:34:21 PM
lasthero posted...

Depends on how its said.

If it's meant in a concerning way, like from a person who genuinely cares whether I'm saved or not, then it doesn't bother me much. After all, if I believed such a place existed, I wouldn't want anyone to go there, and I'd warn them.

More often than not, it's used as an insult, though. Why do I find it offensive? Well, compare it to any other insult. Saying that someone sleeps with their own mother is offensive, saying that someone is a female dog is offensive, but saying that someone is going to burn in torment FOREVER? That's something beyond offensive. Even if you actually believe it exists, to wish that fate on a person for any reason is in incredibly bad taste. I've had plenty of people I can't stand, plenty of people that piss me off, but I've never met anybody I hate so much that I would wish eternal torture on.

Pretty much this. If I said I wished you were tied to a table and castrated slowly, you would find that offensive even if you knew it wasn't going to happen. Same deal, except the eternal torture interpretation of Hell is infinitely worse.
#10ElderMisanthropyPosted 2/5/2013 1:40:38 PM
countzander posted...
Do you become upset when people say unsaved people will end up in hell?

It makes me feel the same as if someone tells me I'm not getting into Narnia; I don't think either place exists, and I don't really care if someone thinks I'm going to or not going to end up there.
---
Both mentioning wizards and actually being one helps dissolve the tension of most situations.