This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RE: Suibom

#1lastheroPosted 2/5/2013 6:17:33 PM
Since you closed down the abortion topic - or, perhaps, it was locked by a moderator, not like I can tell, I'd buy either one - I was unable to respond to the appeal to emotion that was made in the final post. Now, typically, I wouldn't do something like this, but since you did address me directly and call me an endorser of 'fetuscide' (which, by the way, isn't even the correct term - what you mean is 'feticide'. If you're going to slander someone, at least use the right word) I felt the need to respond.

So, here is my response to your story and your baby and everything you brought up not just this time, but the last time we talked about this.

I don't care. I don't care about your baby. I don't care about your wife. I don't care about your mother. I don't care that you were adopted. No offense to any of them - I'm sure it's all true, and it's all nice, and it all fits great into the Hallmark card that is your life. But it's all completely besides the point. None of it - NONE OF IT - has any bearing on the actual discussion about abortion. It is a sideshow. A boldfaced appeal to emotion. As if there's something so wrong with people who disagree with you that you must tell them your stories to get them to see the light. As if people on the other side never thought through their stance. It's blithely patronizing baloney.

So the next time you feel the need to get on your high horse about abortion - I give it a month - please keep your stories to yourself? They're a sideshow. At best. They take away from actual meaningful discussion. Knock it off.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#2JonWood007Posted 2/5/2013 6:23:16 PM
I already responded to him over PM, but i might as well post what I posted here:

see you closed your topic (how mature of you to close your topic because people don't agree with you btw), so I figured I'd respond here.

Here's the thing. I don't begrudge you for being pro life. It's a respectable position. What I do have a problem with, however, is your closed mindedness over the subject, and your apparent tendency to want to shove your morals down everyone else's throat. Whether you realize it or not, THIS IS NOT A BLACK AND WHITE ISSUE.

Now, as for what you mentioned in your topic, about being adopted, I have tried to empathize such a position, and here is what I've come up with. I don't remember being in the womb at all. I wasn't conscious, or aware, I didn't feel pain, and if I were aborted, I wouldn't even be aware of the fact. It would have been like I never existed. I see asking 'what if I were aborted" to be a question similar to "what if my parents never had sex?" The result would have been exactly the same as far as my side of things goes. Just my opinion.

Now, I'm not trying to make you agree with the act of abortion. I think that it's a very delicate personal matter and whatever you believe, pursue. I just don't respect the fact that you want to shove your ideas down everyone's throat, or that people who do have abortions are evil or something. It's just not that black and white. And I don't think that everyone should be forced to live by your convictions on such a delicate matter, just like I don't expect you to live according to mine. The thing about pro choice, is that we're just for that, we're for choice. We're for discretion. We're for people making their own personal decisions on the matter. And while you're free to disagree with them, I strongly detest the implication that everyone should do as you do.

---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3AynRandySavagePosted 2/5/2013 6:27:53 PM
Looks like I was beaten to the punch. I was about to do this exact same thing.
#4GBALoserPosted 2/5/2013 6:31:49 PM
I was going to post on his topic, just with my own personal experiences in my family, but the topic shut-down before I could. Pretty much as you are saying, Jon; it isn't so black and white as every politico wishes it were
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#5C_MatPosted 2/5/2013 6:33:39 PM
Someone is only alive because a 14-year-old decided to give him up for adoption instead of ending his life. It is honestly disturbing, beyond what I can even describe with words, that saying that will register in your brain as "appeal to emotion."
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#6TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/5/2013 6:37:39 PM
C_Mat posted...
Someone is only alive because a 14-year-old decided to give him up for adoption instead of ending his life. It is honestly disturbing, beyond what I can even describe with words, that saying that will register in your brain as "appeal to emotion."

It is by definition an appeal to emotion. There is nothing disturbing about calling a spade a spade, so to speak
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#7GBALoserPosted 2/5/2013 6:38:56 PM
C_Mat posted...

Nah, I wouldn't call it that (though it could easily be called that). It's a topic that touches him dearly. The problem is he began to let his own life experience serve as his reaction, and it was coming off as lashing out rather than arguing his case.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#8C_MatPosted 2/5/2013 6:40:02 PM(edited)
TheRealJiraiya posted...
It is by definition an appeal to emotion. There is nothing disturbing about calling a spade a spade, so to speak

^Yes, I was referring more to the hardness of their hearts.
---
http://youtu.be/gmnSnNC8UJk
#9lasthero(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 6:39:40 PM
C_Mat posted...

It is. By definition it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a good story, I feel it. But including it has nothing to do with the actual discussion. It'd be like if you were talking about gun control, and you talked about the time you and your Dad went hunting and how it was a great bonding experience. It's nice, but it's completely beside the point of the matter.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#10TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/5/2013 6:41:25 PM
C_Mat posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...

^Yes, I was referring more to the hardness of their hearts.

I cant judge that because I didnt read much of that thread, just wanted to jump in and make that one point.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt