This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"How to Talk to an Atheist about Christianity." A really good article.

#21Lord Lu BuPosted 2/7/2013 12:12:32 PM
Magyar15 posted...
Jon, ever since you deconverted, you have gotten really arrogant...

You seem to be confusing arrogance with being right.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!
#22fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 12:14:36 PM
Lord_Ichmael posted...
For discussions, not proselytizng.

It's "How to Talk to an Atheist about Christianity" not "How to Proselytize Atheists"
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#23Faust_8Posted 2/7/2013 12:16:31 PM
Magyar15 posted...

Because it's so OUT THERE to say that most Christians can't talk to atheists very well in a topic sharing how a Christian is posting guidelines on how to talk to atheists.

Sorry, he's right. We've seen thousands of strawmen and logical fallacies and denying objective evidence and basically acting like children, on this board and in reality. He's justified in saying that.

However, I'm not saying that most atheists are great at talking to Christians either.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#24Wandering__HeroPosted 2/7/2013 1:47:26 PM
I'm gonna post this when LSM and some other strawman goes on another rampage.

Good topic.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#25Magyar15Posted 2/7/2013 1:56:50 PM
Faust_8 posted...
Magyar15 posted...

Because it's so OUT THERE to say that most Christians can't talk to atheists very well in a topic sharing how a Christian is posting guidelines on how to talk to atheists.

Sorry, he's right. We've seen thousands of strawmen and logical fallacies and denying objective evidence and basically acting like children, on this board and in reality. He's justified in saying that.

However, I'm not saying that most atheists are great at talking to Christians either.

It isn't just this topic; I just can't help but cringe at referring to atheists as "God scientists."
---
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust
#26JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 3:08:39 PM(edited)
Magyar15 posted...

Noted, it's a character flaw of mine, but I only do it because I believe I am right. Remember, I'm an ex Christian. I left the religion for legitimate reasons. Many of which having to do with the fact that I find its concepts of the world demonstrably flawed.

I'm normally pretty tolerant of ideas, but I do come down especially hard on ideas that I once held but now reject.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#27fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 3:07:36 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Noted, it's a character flaw of mine.

Maybe you should, y'know... stop actively speaking for all atheists as if you have the authority or knowledge to do so <.<
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#28JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 3:13:52 PM(edited)
Who ever said I speak for ALL? Atheist is a broad term. I do think that certain kinds would wholeheartedly agree with me though. Obviously not all though.

Wouldnt an article that claims to help Christians speak to atheists also fall into the same flaw btw? As if they're assuming all Christians are alike and their belief system is compatible with this article. And that all atheists are equally receptive to this approach.

See, we're generalizing when we begin putting labels on things in the first place.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#29fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 3:19:41 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Atheists are like "God scientists" in a way, they won't accept God because he doesn't disprove the null hypothesis or meet a burden of proof.

When you say stuff like this, it appears to the onlooker that you are attempting to characterize all atheists in this way. That's what I meant. As for the article, it's a bit different I think as it's just advice and presumably not intended as a characterization of all atheists or all christians.
---
Best FCs:
#30fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 3:21:20 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Atheist is a broad term.

This is really why I take issue with people making statements which characterize all atheists in a certain way, btw. Realistically, if you say anything about atheists other than, "they don't believe in god," you're bound to mischaracterize someone's beliefs or actions or whatever you're talking about
---
Best FCs: