This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"How to Talk to an Atheist about Christianity." A really good article.

#31Dathrowed1Posted 2/7/2013 2:28:08 PM
Wandering__Hero posted...
I'm gonna post this when LSM and some other strawman goes on another rampage.

Good topic.

why would you waste your time?
---
sig
#32DagorhaPosted 2/7/2013 3:26:49 PM
Dathrowed1 posted...

Good topic.

The Lulz?

Faith In Human Nature Not Completely Destroyed?

Hope?
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#33DarkContractorPosted 2/7/2013 3:27:06 PM
#10 is kinda silly. Does God only love me if someone asks him to? I feel like if God is going to save someone's soul, then prayer shouldn't be necessary.

I can imagine Craig Groeschel's "pray until something happens here"
(the following exchange is false and not intended as a strawman. the questions of how prayer works, however, illustrated in it are legitimate)

Servant: God, will you bring that guy to Heaven?
God: Eh
Servant: C'mon, I don't wanna see him burn
God: Well, man, I just don't know.
Servant: Please? Don't you love him?
God: I mean, I guess if you put it that way
Servant: C'mon he's miserable and you know you're the one who put that Jesus shaped hole inside his soul.
God: FINE ill do it.
Servant: Hey God I got a question.
God: Shoot.
Servant: If you knew you'd decide on saving him since you're omniawesome, how come I had to beg you?
God: the more you mouth off the hungrier I make Africa.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#34fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 3:32:29 PM
DarkContractor posted...
#10 is kinda silly. Does God only love me if someone asks him to? I feel like if God is going to save someone's soul, then prayer shouldn't be necessary.

(the following exchange is false and not intended as a strawman. the questions of how prayer works, however, illustrated in it are legitimate)

Servant: C'mon he's miserable and you know you're the one who put that Jesus shaped hole inside his soul.
Servant: If you knew you'd decide on saving him since you're omniawesome, how come I had to beg you?

You're taking this whole deconversion thing really hard, huh? =/
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#35Dathrowed1Posted 2/7/2013 3:35:17 PM
Dagorha posted...
Dathrowed1 posted...

Good topic.

The Lulz?

Hope?

So boredom then
---
sig
#36DarkContractorPosted 2/7/2013 3:37:30 PM
DarkContractor posted...

You're taking this whole deconversion thing really hard, huh? =/

pretty much completely over it.

do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I can criticize theology or something?
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#37JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 3:39:13 PM
Also, one thing I'd like to mention, A LOT of atheists actually do fall into the characteristics I described. many of us DO approach the god question scientifically. I really don't know why people are kind of making a big stink over this. yes, some atheists don't do this, but a lot do. Heck, just go to r/atheism some time, most people there are scientifically minded.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#38fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 3:39:56 PM
Criticizing theology is to be expected. I'm referring to your tone and the specific things you've been saying lately. Granted, I don't think I ever saw you post as an atheist before, so perhaps you were like this then too. Don't take this as an insult, it just seemed that you were lashing out at a god you feel has forsaken you, by not existing, if that makes sense
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#39fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 3:41:03 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Also, one thing I'd like to mention, A LOT of atheists actually do fall into the characteristics I described. many of us DO approach the god question scientifically. I really don't know why people are kind of making a big stink over this. yes, some atheists don't do this, but a lot do. Heck, just go to r/atheism some time, most people there are scientifically minded.

A lot of black people participate in criminal activity, does that justify speaking as if all of them do?
---
Best FCs:
#40DagorhaPosted 2/7/2013 3:41:22 PM
Dathrowed1 posted...
Dagorha posted...
Dathrowed1 posted...

Good topic.

The Lulz?

Hope?

So boredom then

Maybe a little narcissism or vanity as well as a touch of masochism.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut