This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"How to Talk to an Atheist about Christianity." A really good article.

#71almasbabyPosted 2/7/2013 9:44:05 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
fudrick posted...
almasbaby posted...
11) Understand that atheists have no respect for intuition which faith is based on, nor do they seem to possess any capacity for sensing the divine or for comprehending that your faith is the pathway to it.

You are honestly barely below the LMS/Polish_Crusader tier of theistic insufferableness

And to think, you're the same person who made that thread on gravity...

Yeah, Almas, you've become a very unpleasant person since your conversion. I think your insensitivity and downright meanness in the post Fudrick quotes is the final straw that really ends what good will I had regarding you.

I'm speaking of course as an atheist with a strong sense of intuition.

Hopefully you can become a little more Christlike eventually.

You call that mean? Jeezus, HK, you ain't been around. Not only is it not mean, it's a fair assessment of the majority of atheists I've met. As for being Christlike, why don't you just keep the focus on yourself in that regard, okay?
#72bratt100Posted 2/7/2013 10:37:20 PM
Are you crazy? Saying we don't have intuition is like saying we lack morals. It makes us second class citizens because we don't "feel" christ. It might be eye opening for you to know that many atheists have the exact same feelings that you do, we just don't attribute them to God.

Great way to de-humanize one of the fastest growing segments of the population. The last time that happened the USA invaded Afghanistan.

And this is coming from a person who's often abrasive with my no nonsense policy.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#73fudrickPosted 2/8/2013 3:08:12 AM
almasbaby posted...
it's a fair assessment of the majority of atheists I've met.

Too bad that's not what you f***ing said, though. You put it forth as an accurate description of any and every atheist. I'm tired of people around here, atheist or theist, making these broad, baseless generalizations about extremely diverse, variable groups of people.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#74DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 3:45:55 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
fudrick posted...
almasbaby posted...
11) Understand that atheists have no respect for intuition which faith is based on, nor do they seem to possess any capacity for sensing the divine or for comprehending that your faith is the pathway to it.

You are honestly barely below the LMS/Polish_Crusader tier of theistic insufferableness

And to think, you're the same person who made that thread on gravity...

Yeah, Almas, you've become a very unpleasant person since your conversion. I think your insensitivity and downright meanness in the post Fudrick quotes is the final straw that really ends what good will I had regarding you.

I'm speaking of course as an atheist with a strong sense of intuition.

Hopefully you can become a little more Christlike eventually.

You call that mean? Jeezus, HK, you ain't been around. Not only is it not mean, it's a fair assessment of the majority of atheists I've met. As for being Christlike, why don't you just keep the focus on yourself in that regard, okay?

Yeah, all the atheists you met probably amounts to less than one percent of the atheist population.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#75UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 9:40:13 AM
^ Well no ****. There's millions of atheists
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#76JonWood007Posted 2/8/2013 10:40:36 AM
bratt100 posted...
Are you crazy? Saying we don't have intuition is like saying we lack morals. It makes us second class citizens because we don't "feel" christ. It might be eye opening for you to know that many atheists have the exact same feelings that you do, we just don't attribute them to God.

Great way to de-humanize one of the fastest growing segments of the population. The last time that happened the USA invaded Afghanistan.

And this is coming from a person who's often abrasive with my no nonsense policy.

Many atheists are intuitive like everyone else, but sometimes the correct answer to having intuition isn't to answer it, but to evaluate it in other ways. The thing about intuition is that it's an unreliable guide to truth. Try writing a scholarly article based on intuition. You won't get very far, and it will never pass peer review.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#77DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 1:50:03 PM
^ Well no ****. There's millions of atheists

exactly my point. he's arguing that he's a met lots of atheists the way he described, and from there generalizes.
---
#78almasbabyPosted 2/8/2013 2:09:00 PM
JonWood007 posted...
bratt100 posted...

Many atheists are intuitive like everyone else, but sometimes the correct answer to having intuition isn't to answer it, but to evaluate it in other ways. The thing about intuition is that it's an unreliable guide to truth. Try writing a scholarly article based on intuition. You won't get very far, and it will never pass peer review.

Who's trying to pass peer review? Faith isn't a scientific enquiry. It's a means for reaching out to the divine. Its value is in its effectiveness for achieving that, not in how many of your peers corroborate your findings.
#79UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 5:53:31 PM
almasbaby posted...
JonWood007 posted...
bratt100 posted...

Who's trying to pass peer review? Faith isn't a scientific enquiry. It's a means for reaching out to the divine. Its value is in its effectiveness for achieving that, not in how many of your peers corroborate your findings.

Please explain this value.

Because this "reaching out to the divine" is pretty much the only thing to defend the horrors religion is causing worldwide right now
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#80DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 6:37:19 PM
JonWood has reached out to the divine. He was a Christian for a long time. Unfortunately, when he reached out he couldn't find anything to grab.
---