This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"How to Talk to an Atheist about Christianity." A really good article.

#81DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 5:38:55 PM
what do you say when someone "reaches out to the divine" and goes looking for God and just wants to know who this "God guy is", genuinely and sincerely looking, and ends up with Islam or Buddhist or Hinduism, etc.?
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#82fudrickPosted 2/8/2013 8:09:58 PM
fudrick posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...
You realize that kozlo and I are both atheists, don't you? What reason would we have for disputing what you're saying here?

Alright, step two: how the f*** is that anything like "You're assuming that you can't be considered liars and time-wasters who add little and say even less because we're all atheists."?

---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#83CuddleWithClawsPosted 2/8/2013 8:34:36 PM
I listen to people about their beliefs, but the instant the conversation borders on anything resembling evangelism I tune it out. I am distinctly irked whenever a Christian considers it their business to even "plant a seed" in my mind (though I am a skeptic agnostic and not a hard atheist).

This is good advice, but on the whole I'd be happier if evangelism just wasn't a thing. If an atheist earnestly cares enough about the subject they'll ask an authority.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#84JonWood007Posted 2/8/2013 8:39:22 PM
Yeah, believe it or not, as hardcore as I seem on here at times, IRL I rarely discuss religion any more. I did as a Christian but I tend to keep my atheistic beliefs to myself, I see more trouble brewing if I tried to really push them. Hence, I come on here and reddit and have my discussions. I figured my friends dont wanna see atheist propaganda on FB, and I don't want PMs about "coming back to Christ" or whatever. If I go back to religion, it's not gonna be because some dude argues me back, unless he actually poses new arguments I've never heard before, which i seriously doubt he could.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#85almasbabyPosted 2/9/2013 10:48:16 AM
DarkContractor posted...
JonWood has reached out to the divine. He was a Christian for a long time. Unfortunately, when he reached out he couldn't find anything to grab.

Then it didn't work for him. It's his choice to stick with it or move on. I wish him the best either way.
#86almasbabyPosted 2/9/2013 10:53:20 AM
DarkContractor posted...
what do you say when someone "reaches out to the divine" and goes looking for God and just wants to know who this "God guy is", genuinely and sincerely looking, and ends up with Islam or Buddhist or Hinduism, etc.?

I don't believe there's just one path, but I do believe they all lead to the same place. Whichever path is the one that works for you is the one you should travel. Or don't travel any of them if none of them do. Or all/some of them if that works. It's each individual's choice.
#87fudrickPosted 2/9/2013 10:59:22 AM
almasbaby posted...
Then it didn't work for him. It's his choice to stick with it or move on. I wish him the best either way.

almasbaby posted...
I don't believe there's just one path, but I do believe they all lead to the same place. Whichever path is the one that works for you is the one you should travel. Or don't travel any of them if none of them do. Or all/some of them if that works. It's each individual's choice.

So if intuition doesn't "work" for someone as far as giving them reason to have any particular faith, you think that automatically means that that person has "no respect for intuition which faith is based on"? Or will you admit that that was an unfair characterization of atheists?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious