This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. "Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

User Info: DrAlbertBandura

DrAlbertBandura
4 years ago#1
Down there with "evillusionist." Do yourself a favor and never, ever use it. Ever.
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
4 years ago#2
As an atheist, I do have to say that some people really earn the title.

They're usually teenagers that deconverted a week ago, yeah, but they still act like arrogant little douches...and I don't want them to have the same label as me.
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 years ago#3
What term would you have us use for the anti-theists who's angst drives a fervor and zeal that prevents them from having useful discussions about religion?

I mean, I'm not saying there's a lot of these people, but they do exist. As opposed to 'evilutionists'. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick

User Info: FlashOfLight

FlashOfLight
4 years ago#4
This word is not yet approved by the fine folks over at Oxford, plus it sounds like you're tripping over your tongue when trying to say it.
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!

DrAlbertBandura
4 years ago#5
Then call them "arrogant little douches" -- it's nothing that follows necessarily from their atheism. The offending term is just a childish mish-mash of words that means little, inspires no creativity, and is wholly stupid.
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."

User Info: FlashOfLight

FlashOfLight
4 years ago#6
Agno-theist would sound better and more professional, IMO. With or without that little sucker there in the middle.
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
4 years ago#7
The term itself does not necessarily imply that the angst itself follows from the atheism. It just implies that the atheist in question is particularly angsty.
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."

User Info: hunter_gohan

hunter_gohan
4 years ago#8
kozlo100 posted...
As opposed to 'evilutionists'. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

Members of the EAC which knowingly push a false theory to undermine Christianity? At least that might be what people who use that word think...
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.

DrAlbertBandura
4 years ago#9
Still ridiculous. I don't go around looking for gothic kids who are filled with angst and call them angstothics. I wouldn't even do anything but acknowledge that the kids are both angsty and gothic. The whole run-together term concept is stupid. It doesn't even flow smoothly. And the nature of the words combined just confuses the whole issue because "theism" itself is a word on its own.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 years ago#10
I don't believe the implication that their angst follows from their atheism, but rather that their atheism is how they vent their angst. The word does seem a fair bit more descriptive than the rather nonspecific insult you recommend.

Also, for hunter: Who are the EAC?
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. "Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived