This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#1DrAlbertBanduraPosted 2/7/2013 11:37:11 AM
Down there with "evillusionist." Do yourself a favor and never, ever use it. Ever.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg
#2Faust_8Posted 2/7/2013 11:38:53 AM
As an atheist, I do have to say that some people really earn the title.

They're usually teenagers that deconverted a week ago, yeah, but they still act like arrogant little douches...and I don't want them to have the same label as me.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#3kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 11:42:16 AM
What term would you have us use for the anti-theists who's angst drives a fervor and zeal that prevents them from having useful discussions about religion?

I mean, I'm not saying there's a lot of these people, but they do exist. As opposed to 'evilutionists'. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#4FlashOfLightPosted 2/7/2013 11:42:29 AM
This word is not yet approved by the fine folks over at Oxford, plus it sounds like you're tripping over your tongue when trying to say it.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#5DrAlbertBandura(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:44:22 AM
Then call them "arrogant little douches" -- it's nothing that follows necessarily from their atheism. The offending term is just a childish mish-mash of words that means little, inspires no creativity, and is wholly stupid.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
#6FlashOfLightPosted 2/7/2013 11:48:36 AM
Agno-theist would sound better and more professional, IMO. With or without that little sucker there in the middle.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#7the_hedonistPosted 2/7/2013 11:54:22 AM
The term itself does not necessarily imply that the angst itself follows from the atheism. It just implies that the atheist in question is particularly angsty.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#8hunter_gohanPosted 2/7/2013 12:02:40 PM
kozlo100 posted...
As opposed to 'evilutionists'. I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

Members of the EAC which knowingly push a false theory to undermine Christianity? At least that might be what people who use that word think...
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#9DrAlbertBandura(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:05:02 PM
Still ridiculous. I don't go around looking for gothic kids who are filled with angst and call them angstothics. I wouldn't even do anything but acknowledge that the kids are both angsty and gothic. The whole run-together term concept is stupid. It doesn't even flow smoothly. And the nature of the words combined just confuses the whole issue because "theism" itself is a word on its own.
---
#10kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 12:06:11 PM
I don't believe the implication that their angst follows from their atheism, but rather that their atheism is how they vent their angst. The word does seem a fair bit more descriptive than the rather nonspecific insult you recommend.

Also, for hunter: Who are the EAC?
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick