This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#151IvashankoPosted 2/8/2013 6:31:42 PM
Yeah, but now as a nonbeliever, I can't help but demand evidence before going back to accepting those kinds of belief systems. That might've helped me during my deconversion, but now I'm just gonna be skeptical the whole way through.

While this is a fair point of view, it is unfair to say that all forms of moderate Christianity are like what you listed. That is all I was saying.
#152JonWood007Posted 2/8/2013 6:37:01 PM(edited)
And I'm not familiar with those kinds of Christianity, I'm only familiar with the ones I have had exposure to. Although I suspect while the ones you mentioned may attempt to logically justify their beliefs, I doubt they would follow the Bible to the T. That's the thing with Christianity, so many branches and people do claim to follow the Bible and cite it as a source of authority, but then they turn around and only accept it when they happen to agree with it. Either that or they reinterpret it to fit their views.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#153Hustle KongPosted 2/8/2013 7:06:58 PM
And I'm not familiar with those kinds of Christianity, I'm only familiar with the ones I have had exposure to.

Then one would recommend you get out there and learn, and, heaven forfend, withhold judgement.

But being just another stripe of Fundie, I don't think you can withhold judgement. You've just switched sides, but your awful tactics remain the same.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#154JonWood007Posted 2/8/2013 7:50:09 PM
^^Actually I'm pretty moderate compared to reddit, believe it or not.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#155Faust_8Posted 2/9/2013 2:08:38 AM
When I see someone using "tactics" it's creationists or OW or something. I don't see JonWood using any "tactics" besides things you don't want to hear, which isn't using some kind of underhanded tactic but instead just saying something that is either right or wrong.

If you think is broad opinions are wrong, fine. But I don't see how he's using "tactics."

I've also seen people accuse him of speaking for all atheist or against all theists but I honestly didn't see where that was coming from either. He was just stating what he thinks, he never claimed to be the face of atheism or whatever.

I just don't see where this hate of JonWood is coming from. There's a difference between someone saying something you don't like and someone being wrong.

For example: That's the thing with Christianity, so many branches and people do claim to follow the Bible and cite it as a source of authority, but then they turn around and only accept it when they happen to agree with it. Either that or they reinterpret it to fit their views.

I just don't see how this is wrong OR a "tactic." Unless there are Christians here that will deny that thousands of Christian sects exist, that they follow EVERYTHING the Bible says at all times, and there are never conflicting interpretations. In addition to never once disagreeing with something the Bible says either.

I'm increasingly thinking people like HK resent JonWood just because he's saying the truths you don't want to hear. Oh sure, you say he's just wrong and that he needs to learn about Christianity more, but the whole point is that there is no one or three or five Christianities to learn about. You can find a scriptural basis to support any damn fool thing you want, and a sect that will agree with you. There's no consensus from Christians on anything except perhaps the most core tenets like "the resurrection happened."
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#156bratt100Posted 2/9/2013 4:10:03 AM
I completely agree and in the case of HK he seems to have this circle jerk system worked out where his little group pats him on the back. It's as we need to tiptoe around and hope we don't offend anyone with our opinions.

I'll tell you what is offensive, telling someone that an idea with no basis in reality demands as much respect as something with mounds of evidence. I'll respect the person but I don't need to respect there beliefs when to me they are in many cases laughable and in others downright evil.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#157PhoroPosted 2/9/2013 5:51:06 AM
Faust and bratt for the mother****ing win.
Jon, I don't know how you put up with the underhanded insults and overbearing arrogance for page after page like that. You're a masochist, and I love you.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#158PhoroPosted 2/9/2013 5:56:17 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
"I was wrong" -not Jon, ever.

It seems like you've only been "lied to", or people are "nitpicky". Have you ever taken personal responsibility for being just plain incorrect on something?

Uh, have you?
Has *anyone* in the history of GameFAQs' Religion Board ever taken responsibility for being wrong about *anything*?
No? Then why pick on Jon for it?
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#159mercuryinkPosted 2/9/2013 9:46:52 AM
I think "evilution" would have something to do with, like, the prequel trilogy. How Vader went from being the cute kid from that Arnold movie to blowing up his daughter's homeworld.

Angstheist, however, is a perfectly good term for people who join the American Society of Antiphilately, pay their dues and collect their membership card, then spend all day insisting that not collecting stamps is a hobby, so a Jew like me should go back to Church and pray to Jesus for a brain.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
#160mercuryinkPosted 2/9/2013 9:59:16 AM
The religion came first, then the bible, just like the language came first and then the dictionary.

I would challenge this assertion, but that's because my Bible is older than the religion you're talking about.

Then again, my religion isn't sola scriptura.
---
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003