This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#171SuibomPosted 2/9/2013 7:40:21 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...
Phoro, don't you think it's a good idea for each group to "police" their own?

I don't. As HK was so easy to point out in other topics, not everyone part of a group is necessarily on the same page.

Oh, so those of other groups should police each other?

Do you see yourself ever listening to and admitting you're wrong to a Christian or a Muslim?

No? Yeah I didn't figure.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#172PhoroPosted 2/9/2013 7:47:01 PM(edited)
Suibom posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...

I don't. As HK was so easy to point out in other topics, not everyone part of a group is necessarily on the same page.

Do you see yourself ever listening to and admitting you're wrong to a Christian or a Muslim?

Nowhere did he imply we should police other groups.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#173bratt100Posted 2/9/2013 7:48:48 PM
Suibom posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...

Depends what that person would be wrong about. Show any of us proof and we would be happy to admit we where wrong. It really is that simple.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#174JonWood007Posted 2/9/2013 7:57:42 PM
Suibom posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...

When the heck did I ever say that religious groups should police each other? I also have no clue what you're trying to get at in this post, aside from being overly aggressive.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#175SuibomPosted 2/9/2013 8:06:05 PM
bratt100 posted...
Suibom posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...

Depends what that person would be wrong about. Show any of us proof and we would be happy to admit we where wrong. It really is that simple.

How about when lasthero got all hot and bothered over fearing The Lord, and how he thought its such a bad thing and that Christians shouldn't do it... And then when the Scriptures were trotted on out for him to see, he basically handwaved it and went back to his "Well I think..." reasoning. We weren't talking about opinions; we were talking about doctrine, doctrine that has been established for thousands of years.

No apology. No admitting he was wrong. Just a handwave. There's one perfect example.

Policing doesn't work here because people never, ever, admit they're wrong. Can't lose that precious e-cred, yo. Can't look soft in front tha homies.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
#176Faust_8Posted 2/9/2013 8:35:27 PM
Coming from a guy who just "decides" that his topic is over after getting in his last word (made of petty emotionally-charged misconceptions), that's just ****ing hilarious.

Pot calling the kettle black.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#177PhoroPosted 2/9/2013 8:37:50 PM
Suibom posted...

Policing doesn't work here because people never, ever, admit they're wrong. Can't lose that precious e-cred, yo. Can't look soft in front tha homies.

I certainly agree with you here... but even on this point there are contentions (see GBA, HK and fudrick above).
Most of us have drawn our lines in the sand, and naturally most topics around here devolve into a few people talking at one another, repeatedly, never budging an inch.
---
#178SuibomPosted 2/9/2013 8:43:17 PM
Faust_8 posted...
Coming from a guy who just "decides" that his topic is over after getting in his last word (made of petty emotionally-charged misconceptions), that's just ****ing hilarious.

What are you getting on about, F8?

Man, look how steamed you are over that... Like, you just can't let it go. How many times have you brought it up now, three? Four times?

It's not even my birthday. Thanks F8.
---
#179PhoroPosted 2/9/2013 8:45:30 PM
Faust_8 posted...

LOL And don't forget the infamous, never-ending-yet-also-never-starting bull**** thread about how you can't criticize God because God can't be criticized. Though, to suibom's credit, that was some of the most fun I've ever had on this board. :-)
---
#180bratt100Posted 2/9/2013 9:24:54 PM
Suibom posted...
bratt100 posted...
Suibom posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...

How about when lasthero got all hot and bothered over fearing The Lord, and how he thought its such a bad thing and that Christians shouldn't do it... And then when the Scriptures were trotted on out for him to see, he basically handwaved it and went back to his "Well I think..." reasoning. We weren't talking about opinions; we were talking about doctrine, doctrine that has been established for thousands of years.

No apology. No admitting he was wrong. Just a handwave. There's one perfect example.

I don't know the incident but I can see the contradiction between a all loving and merciful god and petty, jealous, vengeful god. The two are like two entirely different characters in a book and if they didn't have the same name you would have thought they where different people. Fearing god doesn't fit into the caring loving god idea and the loving god doesn't fit the vengeful jealous god.

Also it's doctrine that has been changed countless times in the past couple thousand years. Where no two groups hold the same opinion. I hope you can understand the frustration some people express when christianity is trotted out as some homogeneous whole, when it's quite possibly one of the most fractured religions on this planet.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.