This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#181Faust_8Posted 2/9/2013 10:38:12 PM
Suibom posted...
Faust_8 posted...
Coming from a guy who just "decides" that his topic is over after getting in his last word (made of petty emotionally-charged misconceptions), that's just ****ing hilarious.

Pot calling the kettle black.

What are you getting on about, F8?

Man, look how steamed you are over that... Like, you just can't let it go. How many times have you brought it up now, three? Four times?

It's not even my birthday. Thanks F8.

It's like when a guy at a party throws up in the punch bowl. He'll always been known as the guy who threw up in the punch bowl.

Sorry, I don't get forget when people stoop really, really low. Especially when they try to call other people out on not having enough integrity.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#182JonWood007Posted 2/9/2013 10:58:42 PM
Suibom posted...
bratt100 posted...
Suibom posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Suibom posted...
Phoro, don't you think it's a good idea for each group to "police" their own?

I don't. As HK was so easy to point out in other topics, not everyone part of a group is necessarily on the same page.

Oh, so those of other groups should police each other?

Do you see yourself ever listening to and admitting you're wrong to a Christian or a Muslim?

No? Yeah I didn't figure.

Depends what that person would be wrong about. Show any of us proof and we would be happy to admit we where wrong. It really is that simple.

How about when lasthero got all hot and bothered over fearing The Lord, and how he thought its such a bad thing and that Christians shouldn't do it... And then when the Scriptures were trotted on out for him to see, he basically handwaved it and went back to his "Well I think..." reasoning. We weren't talking about opinions; we were talking about doctrine, doctrine that has been established for thousands of years.

No apology. No admitting he was wrong. Just a handwave. There's one perfect example.

Policing doesn't work here because people never, ever, admit they're wrong. Can't lose that precious e-cred, yo. Can't look soft in front tha homies.

Well you can pretty much make just about anything out of scripture...

http://www.memefive.com/BAbfCpL

I don't think atheism is even remotely the same though...we have no doctrines. And we actually encourage people to say "I think", and to criticize all sources, because accepting sources inquestioningly is wrong. It's not the same, at all.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#183FlashOfLightPosted 2/10/2013 2:21:26 AM
Hey Jon, I would have liked to participate in this thread more, but it's advanced too much already, and many points have already been made so I'll just sit back on the bench, as it were.

Just letting you know that I really wanted to expand on some of your comments.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#184SuibomPosted 2/10/2013 3:22:10 AM
Faust_8 derped...

More like I kicked you out of my house for picking your nose and wiping it on my couch, and now you're mad because you had this huge, green comet you were working on fishing out that's stuck on your finger and not on my couch.

JonWood007 posted...

Well you can pretty much make just about anything out of scripture...

http://www.memefive.com/BAbfCpL

Ok, please, just hear me out. When it says multiple places, both in the OT and the NT, "Fear The Lord", and he says, "I really don't think Christians should..." That's not us making just about anything out of scripture... That's him being incapable of admiring he was wrong. So no, bratt, you all don't always happily admit you're wrong. E-cred.

I don't think atheism is even remotely the same though...we have no doctrines. And we actually encourage people to say "I think", and to criticize all sources, because accepting sources inquestioningly is wrong. It's not the same, at all.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA HA HA ha ha ha... ha... Oh, you were being serious?

1. Which is it, Jon? Are you exactly like Christians and divided in what you believe or are you nothing like Christians and you all think the same way. Because you've said both. Unless you're pulling that whole "definitions" thing again...

2. If we DIDNT encourage people to think, all you'd have today for Christian denominations would be the Orthodoxs and the Catholics. Right? No.... See here's yet another place where instead of saying, "Yeah, that's right, I'm sorry. You all do think. And that's why you're all so diverse." you'll say, "No, I meant you all don't think... like about.... (Think Jon.... Think....) uh.... um.... "
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#185bratt100Posted 2/10/2013 3:40:10 AM
And yet it's still a contradiction.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#186Faust_8Posted 2/10/2013 6:19:24 AM
Boy you are an unsufferable little jackass aren't you?

All I did was post in a topic YOU CREATED with opinions you don't like to hear, clown. That's all any of us did. But things weren't going your way so you through a childish tantrum.

JonWood was talking about how atheists are free to make guesses, not proclamations of absolute truth when talking about things we can't possibly know, like the religious do. "I know the origin of the universe!" No you don't. "I know what God wants!" No you don't. "I know what happens after you die!" No you don't. Anyone who says these sorts of things can't possibly know any of that, and if they could, we'd all think the same way.

Whereas an atheist is free to say "based on what we do we know, I think the universe..." and so on.

But instead you just knee-jerk react to the worst interpretation of his words so you can get that righteous anger that you live off of.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#187Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 7:31:27 AM
Whereas an atheist is free to say "based on what we do we know, I think the universe..." and so on.

When you're insulting someone's intelligence and integrity, it would be wise to avoid saying things like that. The religious are free to do so. And in fact, a great deal do. Atheists are also free to be every bit as dogmatic and asinine.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#188fudrickPosted 2/10/2013 8:32:37 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Anyone who says these sorts of things can't possibly know any of that, and if they could, we'd all think the same way.

Just like if we could really know the processes and phenomena which led to the diversity of life we see on earth today, we'd all think the same way.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#189JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 9:56:36 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Boy you are an unsufferable little jackass aren't you?

All I did was post in a topic YOU CREATED with opinions you don't like to hear, clown. That's all any of us did. But things weren't going your way so you through a childish tantrum.

JonWood was talking about how atheists are free to make guesses, not proclamations of absolute truth when talking about things we can't possibly know, like the religious do. "I know the origin of the universe!" No you don't. "I know what God wants!" No you don't. "I know what happens after you die!" No you don't. Anyone who says these sorts of things can't possibly know any of that, and if they could, we'd all think the same way.

But instead you just knee-jerk react to the worst interpretation of his words so you can get that righteous anger that you live off of.

I'll build off this instead of quoting suibom directly.

You were "policing" a Christian for having opinions that go against your holy book and coming up with their own views. In atheism, we don't have a doctrine. The only thing we have in common is not believing in God for one reason or another. And if you happen to disagree with that, guess what? You're not an atheist, or at the best are some sort of agnostic something (which is still okay).

The point is, we don't think as a block, we don't have doctrines. We don't begin quoting Richard Dawkins or Charles Darwin at other atheists who dare have an opinion different than the rest of us. HK might be laying it on thick with me, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't have to agree with HK on much of anything. Just because we're both atheists in some form or another doesn't mean we have to see eye to eye on anything. I don't believe in him policing me or me policing him.

You may be free to make different interpretations based on a book and disagree over what it means, but we don't have to agree with any book, if we think an idea is bad, we call it bad and move on. We don't reconcile it because we don't think books are divinely inspired. We can agree with anything, we can disagree with anything, no matter how plainly some book puts it, because we're under no obligation to respect the book in the way Christians respect the Bible.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#190fudrickPosted 2/10/2013 10:00:08 AM
JonWood007 posted...
I'll build off this instead of quoting suibom directly.

You were "policing" a Christian for having opinions that go against your holy book and coming up with their own views. In atheism, we don't have a doctrine. The only thing we have in common is not believing in God for one reason or another. And if you happen to disagree with that, guess what? You're not an atheist, or at the best are some sort of agnostic something (which is still okay).

The point is, we don't think as a block, we don't have doctrines. We don't begin quoting Richard Dawkins or Charles Darwin at other atheists who dare have an opinion different than the rest of us. HK might be laying it on thick with me, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't have to agree with HK on much of anything. Just because we're both atheists in some form or another doesn't mean we have to see eye to eye on anything. I don't believe in him policing me or me policing him.

You may be free to make different interpretations based on a book and disagree over what it means, but we don't have to agree with any book, if we think an idea is bad, we call it bad and move on. We don't reconcile it because we don't think books are divinely inspired. We can agree with anything, we can disagree with anything, no matter how plainly some book puts it, because we're under no obligation to respect the book in the way Christians respect the Bible.

"The only thing atheists necessarily have in common is a lack of belief in god(s).

Now, let me tell you some things that atheists have in common."
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious