This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#191Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 10:02:35 AM
I don't believe in him policing me or me policing him.

I believe in us policing each other in the same way that I believe in TRJ policing me. We are a community here, beyond any particular beliefs. And as members of that community, I think it's important to call each other out on our crap as human beings, not as atheists, Christians, or what have you.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#192JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 10:06:49 AM
"The only thing atheists necessarily have in common is a lack of belief in god(s).

Now, let me tell you some things that atheists have in common."

Geez, are you going to twist that out of context AGAIN even though I clarified my opinion?

I believe in us policing each other in the same way that I believe in TRJ policing me. We are a community here, beyond any particular beliefs. And as members of that community, I think it's important to call each other out on our crap as human beings, not as atheists, Christians, or what have you.

Well that's called having a debate with someone.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#193Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 10:12:35 AM
Being a poor sport and using dirty and dishonest tactics is "having a debate"? Hell, I'd say if there was a debate involved, crap calling should be done even more stringently.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#194fudrickPosted 2/10/2013 10:13:13 AM
JonWood007 posted...
Geez, are you going to twist that out of context AGAIN even though I clarified my opinion?

If you clarify your opinion, but then instantly start saying things that demonstrate that your clarification of your opinion was inaccurate, I'm going to judge based on your actual statements and not your declared opinion. For example (not trying to compare what you did to this, just an extreme example), I could say, "I'm not a racist, I believe people of all races are fundamentally equal and any differences are based upon cultural or individual differences. Asians are naturally superior to all other races."

The fact is, you seem almost incapable of making posts without characterizing all atheists in generalized ways.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#195Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 10:14:30 AM
Now, now, Fudrick... he's "debating". That means he can say whatever he wants with no accountability! Spoiling his fun is just no good!
---
Shooting Game never die.
#196JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 10:17:51 AM
I think you're failing to draw the line between what atheists often DO think, and what they're obligated to think.

A lot of atheists do think similar to me (NOT ALL), particularly a lot of the "new atheism" crowd. However, that's different than being obligated to think like me. You guys are obviously disagreeing with me now, and that's fine. You're entitled to your opinions.

Mmmkay?

I also don't think it's a stretch to say atheists in general are not obligated to respect the views of any piece of literature in the way Christians do. We have he freedom to accept and reject the ideas we will.

So no, I'm not seeing the contradiction.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#197Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 10:19:46 AM
EVERYONE has that freedom. Everyone typically exercises that freedom, also.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#198fudrickPosted 2/10/2013 10:20:16 AM
JonWood007 posted...
We don't begin quoting Richard Dawkins or Charles Darwin at other atheists who dare have an opinion different than the rest of us.

JonWood007 posted...
we don't have to agree with any book, if we think an idea is bad, we call it bad and move on. We don't reconcile it because we don't think books are divinely inspired. We can agree with anything, we can disagree with anything, no matter how plainly some book puts it, because we're under no obligation to respect the book in the way Christians respect the Bible.

---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#199JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 10:24:34 AM
EVERYONE has that freedom. Everyone typically exercises that freedom, also.

Technically, but Christians tend to get huffy when you claim to be Christian but have views different than what the Bible says.

JonWood007 posted...

We don't begin quoting Richard Dawkins or Charles Darwin at other atheists who dare have an opinion different than the rest of us.

JonWood007 posted...

we don't have to agree with any book, if we think an idea is bad, we call it bad and move on. We don't reconcile it because we don't think books are divinely inspired. We can agree with anything, we can disagree with anything, no matter how plainly some book puts it, because we're under no obligation to respect the book in the way Christians respect the Bible.

I fail to see a contradiction here. You must be reading my posts wrong. All I'm saying is atheists don't have a doctrine and we often judge based on ideas.
---
#200fudrickPosted 2/10/2013 10:25:33 AM
JonWood007 posted...
You must be reading my posts wrong. All I'm saying is atheists don't have a doctrine and we often judge based on ideas.

No. You are writing your posts wrong
---
Best FCs: