This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#21OrangeWizardPosted 2/7/2013 1:24:46 PM
ITT:
TC: STOP IT!
Everyone else: "But..."
TC: NO!
Ee: "Bu-"
Ee: "B"
TC" I SAID NO.

Told you, TC.
#22OrangeWizardPosted 2/7/2013 1:25:22 PM
It's irritating because it's ill-conceived and so makes whoever utters it sound incredibly daft.

Now you're just throwing buzzwords into a sentence.
#23Lord Lu BuPosted 2/7/2013 1:27:22 PM
DrAlbertBandura posted...
Yeah, but it's not irritating because it's derogatory. It's irritating because it's ill-conceived and so makes whoever utters it sound incredibly daft.

Not only that it but it is a very generalized term and misrepresents atheism in the process.
---
Yes, you can say ASS!
#24fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 1:35:18 PM
Wandering__Hero posted...
Your luck you can draw lines in your group, in ours every time an idiot says something stupid in the name of Chirstinaity, the American media trips over itself to put them in the spotlight.

Oh, come on. Are you really alleging that American media as a whole has a widespread bias against Christians and Christianity itself? Have you ever paid much attention to the news network which is the most popular in the US by a large margin?

Thus these people can become our representative, no matter how small they are in practice.

Often, those Christians who say something stupid in the name of Christianity are already representatives of many people through government. That's why they're given publicity. There aren't many atheists in prominent positions like that.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#25FlashOfLightPosted 2/7/2013 1:37:35 PM
OrangeWizard posted...
ITT:
TC: STOP IT!
Everyone else: "But..."
Ee: "Bu-"
Ee: "B"
TC" I SAID NO.

Told you, TC.

Absolute madness.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#26Wandering__HeroPosted 2/7/2013 1:53:32 PM
fudrick posted...
Your luck you can draw lines in your group, in ours every time an idiot says something stupid in the name of Chirstinaity, the American media trips over itself to put them in the spotlight.

Oh, come on. Are you really alleging that American media as a whole has a widespread bias against Christians and Christianity itself? Have you ever paid much attention to the news network which is the most popular in the US by a large margin?

Thus these people can become our representative, no matter how small they are in practice.

Often, those Christians who say something stupid in the name of Christianity are already representatives of many people through government. That's why they're given publicity. There aren't many atheists in prominent positions like that.

I'm English and I'm merely referring to the way ultra niche churches and groups get disproportionate repsentation. I mean how many times did we need to hear from the WBC, really? I know, lets ask the KKK for their opinion on some topics.
And that "the rapture is totally next week guys" thing, which if the media was more balanced would have lead to a retort of "Actually Jesus said this was impossible, quit blaspheming "revent" "

Also on a global scale, I'm still not sure how popular Right Wing Christianity is. I mean its a pretty "daring" take on the words of a man who told you to go out and feed the poor. I've heard of a few people whine about the Bible's left bias, but never the reverse. Go fourth and deregulate everything! And God said "Bonuses for everyone, even if you ****ed up your job!"

Though I do admit, I can't be sure of how the American media portrays Atheists. But whatever it says about them doesn't seem to reach England, so I assume their not as high profile as the fringe loony Christians.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#27Marvel ManPosted 2/7/2013 1:56:18 PM
I don't mind the word, I just hate how some theists use it during arguments for ad hominem attacks.
---
My steel has been tainted by the blood of a weakling!
"Goku would win because Gohan is stronger."
#28DrAlbertBandura(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 2:02:06 PM
I don't mind the word, I just hate how some theists use it during arguments for ad hominem attacks.

It really has the opposite effect to what they believe it does.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg
#29GBALoserPosted 2/7/2013 2:12:51 PM
DrAlbertBandura posted...
Yeah, but it's not irritating because it's derogatory. It's irritating because it's ill-conceived and so makes whoever utters it sound incredibly daft.

Usually because they are...
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#30TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 2:24:28 PM
It applies to a specific group of people who are rude, arrogant, and usually ignorant, and the word is respectful to atheists by drawing a clear line between them and their "never matured beyond middle school" angsty counterparts.

Like "fundie" has started to do for us. I praise the use of the word "fundie" because it draws a line that keeps me from being lumped in with people I dont want to be lumped in with.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt