This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#201JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 9:30:15 AM
This nitpicking is really wearing on my nerves. It would be totally different if you guys actually had valid criticisms to my opinion, but as far as I can see, you're just picking out minor flaws in my posts and making mountains out of molehills. That being said, I think I'm gonna not respond to this BS any more. If you have legit criticisms I'll answer them, but I feel like having these kinds of discussions over the course of 3-4 topics is horribly unproductive and a waste of my time.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#202Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 9:42:20 AM
Technically, but Christians tend to get huffy when you claim to be Christian but have views different than what the Bible says.

People in general tend to get huffy when you claim membership to a group, but have ideas different than what that person imagines members of that group should have. This is also the case with atheists that group together, given that they are human.

I've been accused of being an "Uncle Tom" by some New Atheists because of my not looking down on theists, and treating them like human beings.

That doesn't make me any "less of an atheist", and while you'd agree that such an accusation is silly, it still gets made.

There's a real danger in presenting us as if we weren't open to the very same errors as theists.

The presentation of atheists as having no common tendencies beyond lacking belief in the gods is true, but it is also not the full picture.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#203SuibomPosted 2/10/2013 9:44:23 AM
Brotha goes to church and comes back to this?

Faust: just lol

Jon: I wasn't policing a Christian, unless lasthero recently converted back. I was policing an atheist.

HK and Fudrick: FTW
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#204JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 10:07:22 AM
Hustle Kong posted...
Technically, but Christians tend to get huffy when you claim to be Christian but have views different than what the Bible says.

People in general tend to get huffy when you claim membership to a group, but have ideas different than what that person imagines members of that group should have. This is also the case with atheists that group together, given that they are human.

I've been accused of being an "Uncle Tom" by some New Atheists because of my not looking down on theists, and treating them like human beings.

That doesn't make me any "less of an atheist", and while you'd agree that such an accusation is silly, it still gets made.

There's a real danger in presenting us as if we weren't open to the very same errors as theists.

The presentation of atheists as having no common tendencies beyond lacking belief in the gods is true, but it is also not the full picture.

Have I ever put you down for not being antitheist enough? No. Then get off my case.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#205Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 10:09:20 AM
Have I ever put you down for not being antitheist enough? No. Then get off my case.

I never said you have. That doesn't mean, however, that your errors and generalizations should go unanswered.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#206JonWood007Posted 2/10/2013 11:22:31 AM
And those guys are pulling the no true scotsman fallacy. They are wrong. Technically speaking, I think my point still stands. Atheism as a belief, has no doctrine inherent to it like religions have. Now, you may have idiots getting on your case for not sharing their beliefs, but nowhere in atheism do you HAVE to come down hard on religion 100% of the time. Honestly, I've even had atheists rip me for not being antitheist. As far as I'm concerned, not hating religion with a passion doesn't make me believe in God any more. That's the point I'm trying to get at.
---
#207Hustle KongPosted 2/10/2013 11:49:00 AM
And that same assish behavior you are describing having been subject to yourself is also NOT compulsory in the Christian. And it is absent in a great many.

People who treat people poorly will use their religion or their non-religious philosophy to justify treating people poorly. This isn't required of atheists OR Christians. Or anyone.

Christians, like other humans, are free to think for themselves. Some of them may be harassed by Christians who do not like people thinking for themselves, just like you or I may be harassed by atheists who imagine we are not anti-religion enough to be "real" atheists.

But this doesn't make either group of harrassers the "real" Christian or atheist.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#208Faust_8Posted 2/10/2013 1:22:42 PM
Suibom posted...
Faust: just lol

Like I'm going to care if someone like you "lols" at me.

Let's see, do you resort to using:

Derp? Check.
Closing own topics? Check.
Literally typing HAHAHA in posts? Check.
Accusations of circle jerking? Check.

Sorry, you're not even on the same level as me or most posters here. But enjoy your false sense of superiority while you can, someday it's going to deflate.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#209SuibomPosted 2/10/2013 2:03:15 PM
Faust, you're missing something from that checklist: a qualifier.

I only do those things to people on your "level". The guys this topic was made about.

I'm pretty civil to everyone else here. I respect lots of posters on this board, regardless of their beliefs. Now that doesn't mean I just buy into whatever they're saying, but I don't make it a point to remind them that I don't.

I never set out here to be liked by everyone. I'm not TRJ, patron saint of the 263. Up until later last year, I kept myself to discussing Christian doctrine. That was what I got out of this board: doctrine-refining. Testing what I believed amongst my peers. It wasn't until August or so that I made more of an effort to engage those of differing views outside of Christianity. But guys like you don't want to discuss anything, reason anything. Your mind's made up just as much as mine is. See, I can admit that. I can admit that I'm likely not going to change my mind on a few issues. I can admit that my topic you're so burned over getting shut down in would have ran itself out to either make it to 500 with nobody changing their position or understanding where either side is coming from, or we would have gotten bored trying.

So toss me on your ignore list if I'm such an insufferable thorn in your side. Because since there's no reasoning with you anyways, and since I'm not going to put you on my ignore list, I'm at least going to get a laugh over you while I'm here.

Your level... The hubris is burning my nose. Make it stop! Make it stop!!
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#210Faust_8Posted 2/10/2013 3:06:50 PM
I only use hubris when I'm dealing with someone acting like a child. Like I said, you've been acting very immature. I don't normally act this way.

And no offense, but you're blind if you think an atheist like me "has my mind made up." Rejecting bad evidence, hearsay, and baseless assumptions is not proof of a closed mind. This board has made me SOFTEN my views (years ago I was a strong atheist, now I'm a weak/agnostic atheist).
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while