This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#31DrAlbertBandura(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 2:28:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the idea of a word for that kind of group, I'd just like for it to be devised a bit better.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg
#32Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 2:28:26 PM
Around here, it is often more used by us atheists ourselves who need to say something about the unhinged state in which some of the more recent and "enthusiastic" apostates find themselves.

It may be an ugly and ill-conceived word, but it describes an ugly and ill-conceived approach to atheism. It stays.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#33TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 2:31:13 PM
DrAlbertBandura posted...
Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the idea of a word for that kind of group, I'd just like for it to be devised a bit better.

Why on earth do you care?

How do you measure how well a given word has been "devised"?
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#34fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 2:37:56 PM(edited)
Wandering__Hero posted...
I'm English and I'm merely referring to the way ultra niche churches and groups get disproportionate repsentation. I mean how many times did we need to hear from the WBC, really?

I think that has precisely nothing to do with the fact that they're christians, or that they call themselves christians. Travel the country for years visiting funerals for soldiers and such and screaming obnoxious hateful things at the mourning friends and family of the deceased, and I'm sure you'd get some recognition too.

And that "the rapture is totally next week guys" thing, which if the media was more balanced would have lead to a retort of "Actually Jesus said this was impossible, quit blaspheming "revent" "

Yeah, I actually have no clue why that received so much coverage

Also on a global scale, I'm still not sure how popular Right Wing Christianity is. I mean its a pretty "daring" take on the words of a man who told you to go out and feed the poor. I've heard of a few people whine about the Bible's left bias, but never the reverse. Go fourth and deregulate everything! And God said "Bonuses for everyone, even if you ****ed up your job!"

I'm not sure what your point is here (though I do agree that hyper-right-wing christians are a bit hypocritical), but this certainly doesn't negate the fact that Fox News is by far the most watched news network and it has a strong pro-christian bias, or that many politicians and representatives of government, also mostly right wingers, have said dumb things in the name of christianity and should be called out for it in the media.

Though I do admit, I can't be sure of how the American media portrays Atheists. But whatever it says about them doesn't seem to reach England, so I assume their not as high profile as the fringe loony Christians.

They mostly pretend we don't exist until some group speaks out a bit too enthusiastically about removing "god" from money or the pledge or something
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#35GBALoserPosted 2/7/2013 2:34:09 PM
DrAlbertBandura posted...

How about "apostirate"? Doesn't flow well to me, though.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#36Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 2:38:03 PM(edited)
Aprostate works, too.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#37fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 2:37:20 PM
As for the topic at hand, the word itself kind of annoys me. It does serve a purpose, but the aesthetics are less than pleasant, to me. I'd rather people just say "angsty atheist" or something
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#38Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 2:41:08 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Try finding out everything you believed is a lie. See how well you take it when you've emotionally invested in this lie.

One gets over it. Also, lol @ "lie". Is "error" too level-headed for you?
---
Shooting Game never die.
#39kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 2:42:32 PM
See, for my two cents, I like that it's an ugly word. Ugly word for an ugly group.

As a former member of that group, I think its ugliness grates in just the right way.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#40DrAlbertBandura(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 2:43:10 PM
Why on earth do you care?

How do you measure how well a given word has been "devised"?

Have you never said it aloud? Say it aloud. Now say "yolo." Now saw "swag." Now use "angstheist" again. It's just as stupid as those words, with the added deficiencies of sounding like you're saying "angsty theist" and in a way that has no flow whatsoever.

Think of all the synonyms. "What a muddled, puerile person you are." Wow! You described an individual using a piece of language that was the opposite of bescumberingly stupid!

That's why I care. I'd like to think the individuals with whom I'm talking are learned enough to have a little self-respect to avoid such garbage language.
---
Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns. I'll drive."
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9504/bandura.jpg