This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#51kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 3:38:49 PM
Now you've done it. I actually don't remember, and now I'm curious as to what I might have said.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#52TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 4:02:28 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Who said a lie needs to be intentional?

.... I dont understand the purpose of the word "lie" if it can happen unintentionally.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#53fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 4:07:50 PM
Here's what Merriam-Webster has to say:

1a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive
1b: an untrue or inaccurate statement that may or may not be believed true by the speaker
2: something that misleads or deceives
3: a charge of lying (see 3lie)

Clearly 1b supports Jon's position (and my position in that old thread), but in reality I feel that almost no one uses that definition and if they do, it's probably rarely. This is pretty much what I said in the other thread, but for some reason lots of people wanted to insist that that definition was completely incorrect, lol
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#54kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 4:10:47 PM
Ah, on the right day, I can see myself fighting you on that one.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#55DarkContractorPosted 2/7/2013 4:18:41 PM
I don't think Jon had any ill intent. Just poor wording.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#56fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 4:21:06 PM
It was really weird to me that so many people took issue with that honestly, as nearly every post I made on the subject included an explanation that I realize that usage of the word is most likely almost nonexistent. I know I probably should have just given up and conceded, since functionally there's not really much of a difference between what I was saying and what everyone else was saying, but I'm just stubborn. Here's the thread, by the way, if you wanted to read through it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/263-religion/60361244

I think we were all being a bit ridiculous in that discussion =P
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#57kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 4:26:05 PM
Oh yea, that looks like one of my grumpy days.
---
#58JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 4:42:45 PM
DarkContractor posted...
I don't think Jon had any ill intent. Just poor wording.

pretty much. I was trying to be dramatic with my wording. Not saying I was intentionally misled. Although i think a broad definition of "lie" could include all falsehoods.

Words can have different meanings depending on their context. Some people here are obviously misreading mine. heck, people are reading WAAAY too much into this. Point is, I don't like the fact that everything I used to believe is not true. And really, lie seemed to be the best word when I wrote it, so....
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#59Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 4:47:58 PM
When aiming to be dramatic, you can't complain when drama comes of it. ;p
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#60TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 5:04:11 PM
fudrick posted...
Here's what Merriam-Webster has to say:

1a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive
1b: an untrue or inaccurate statement that may or may not be believed true by the speaker
2: something that misleads or deceives
3: a charge of lying (see 3lie)

Clearly 1b supports Jon's position (and my position in that old thread), but in reality I feel that almost no one uses that definition and if they do, it's probably rarely. This is pretty much what I said in the other thread, but for some reason lots of people wanted to insist that that definition was completely incorrect, lol

1b is inaccurate, and M-W should be revised.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt