This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#71JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 6:54:41 PM(edited)
Dictionaries are actually authoritative on the meaning of words. The Bible isn't authoritative on anything.

Also, if you want to use logic, okay, while most definitions of the word have an intent to deceive, I don't think it's necessary in noun form. people jest jokingly that "their life is a lie" or something like that when they find out something they didn't know before that may or may not actually change their life. Does that mean what they did before is intentionally deceptive? No. It can be used in noun form to convey a simple falsehood.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#72TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 6:53:30 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Dictionaries are actually authoritative on the meaning of words. The Bible isn't authoritative on anything.

Is the dictionary the authoritative, initial account for word meanings? I was under the impression that it simply RECORDED the meanings of words.. while we actually decide what they are.

In this case, the dictionary is wrong. That is not what the English word for "lie" means. They made an error.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#73JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 6:59:42 PM
Words are what we make them to be. See the south park episode with the loud bikers that I'm totally not linking because I would get modded, for instance. Words are social conventions meant to express meaning. The meaning is what we decide for ourselves, yes, but dictionaries are good authorities to go to for the "proper" or "official" definition, after all, two different people can have two interpretations of the same word. We need some standardization in order to properly interact with others without misunderstandings. To resolve these, we have dictionaries, which happen to agree that my definition is valid depending on the context, and I think the context in appropriate.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
#74TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 7:00:44 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Also, if you want to use logic, okay, while most definitions of the word have an intent to deceive, I don't think it's necessary in noun form. people jest jokingly that "their life is a lie" or something like that when they find out something they didn't know before that may or may not actually change their life. Does that mean what they did before is intentionally deceptive? No. It can be used in noun form to convey a simple falsehood.

Id need context, but that seems like a really obscure use of the word.

I could see M-W moving 1b down to 4ish to make up for those fringe colloquial cases, but it certainly shouldnt be a counterpart to the obvious used definition of the word.
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
#75JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 7:02:23 PM
Well you go email Merriam Webster about that. Until then, I think my usage of the word is valid.
---
#76TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/7/2013 7:03:08 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Well you go email Merriam Webster about that. Until then, I think my usage of the word is valid.

Do you have their email?

Btw I feel like Im talking to the teacher in Frindle XD
---
#77JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 7:03:27 PM
Nope. maybe it's on their website?
---
#78Hustle KongPosted 2/7/2013 7:03:51 PM
JonWood007 posted...

I haven't literally laughed out loud at a post in a while. Congratulations on becoming a living caricature. Clearly you've outgrown us here. Why not just stay at r/atheism?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#79fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 7:06:59 PM
Yeah, I don't really get this concept of "I don't agree with the dictionary's definition/I haven't seen many people use that version of the dictionary's definition, therefore the dictionary's definition is wrong." Obviously someone thought it was an accurate description of the usage of the word in some contexts, and considering that it's Merriam-Webster, I'm inclined to believe that it was likely decided upon by multiple people, all of whom likely have a better understanding of the English language and spent more time and effort considering this than any of us on this board. Considering that language isn't based on objective truth and definitions aren't claims of objective truth, I also don't really think the comparison to the bible is wholly accurate.
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#80JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 7:10:00 PM(edited)
Because I don't like an echo chamber.

I was just pointing out the difference between the Bible and a dictionary since I was called out for relying on a book for validation, btw, and felt like I should explain the difference here.

Also, to be fair, i did look up a couple other dictionaries. Dictionary.com agreed with webster, while Oxford did not. Oxford is generally considered the highest authority on the english language, so i guess you could say I'm wrong in that respect, but it's clearly a way the word is used by some, so I still find this debate to be a bit petty and nickpicky.
---