This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Angstheist" is an ugly, ill-conceived word.

#81DarkContractorPosted 2/7/2013 8:05:59 PM
this actually got debated?
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#82JonWood007Posted 2/7/2013 8:08:22 PM
Sadly, yes.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#83kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 8:12:10 PM
It's less about the dictionaries definition being wrong, and more that it's reporting how people do use the word, and not itself creating a definition for people to use. That's kind of a subtle difference, particularly in light of the shifting nature of language, but I think it's important.

Since we tend to need to get pretty heavily into semantics around here anyway, I'm not particularly keen on going to a reporting tool like that as an authority on what words mean.

Also, to boot, I'm kind of questioning the validity of the definition itself, so the fact that it is in a dictionary doesn't really get me anywhere.

In this particular case, Jon's usage is the only one that kind of fits this particular definition, and it was artistic licence. Since artistic licence needn't conform to actual definitions, I don't think we need one there to cover that usage.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#84kozlo100Posted 2/7/2013 8:12:48 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Sadly, yes.

Why sadly? It's an interesting topic.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#85cyclonekrusePosted 2/7/2013 9:09:27 PM
kozlo100 posted...
Also, to boot, I'm kind of questioning the validity of the definition itself, so the fact that it is in a dictionary doesn't really get me anywhere.

For what it's worth, I can think of times where I've used "lie" like that or close to it. As an example, I was helping to build a house this week and I was asked to get a measurement. So I pulled out a tape measure and told the guy "28 1/4." But something didn't seem right so I looked more closely. That was when I discovered a smudge on the tape. So I quickly said "Wait....I lied. It's actually 23 1/4. There's a smudge on the tape."

And I know I've said something similar on numerous occasions. My interlocutor understands that I merely made a mistake even though I said I "lied." So such usage is out there. How common it is, I can't speak to. If enough people are being similarly "loose" with the definition as I was and have been, then it makes sense that dictionaries would include it, but again, I have no numbers on that.
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#86fudrickPosted 2/7/2013 9:15:08 PM
cyclonekruse posted...
For what it's worth, I can think of times where I've used "lie" like that or close to it. As an example, I was helping to build a house this week and I was asked to get a measurement. So I pulled out a tape measure and told the guy "28 1/4." But something didn't seem right so I looked more closely. That was when I discovered a smudge on the tape. So I quickly said "Wait....I lied. It's actually 23 1/4. There's a smudge on the tape."

And I know I've said something similar on numerous occasions. My interlocutor understands that I merely made a mistake even though I said I "lied." So such usage is out there. How common it is, I can't speak to. If enough people are being similarly "loose" with the definition as I was and have been, then it makes sense that dictionaries would include it, but again, I have no numbers on that.

This is funny to me, as you were one of those who disputed my position in the other thread, lol
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#87cyclonekrusePosted 2/7/2013 9:23:56 PM
fudrick posted...
This is funny to me, as you were one of those who disputed my position in the other thread, lol

I think the thing to note is that if you asked me if I were *really* lying about the measurement, I would have said "No...I'm just being loose with the term."
---
Locke: "Why do you find it so hard to believe?" || Jack "Why do you find it so easy?!" ||
Locke: "It's never been easy!"
#88PatriotwolfPosted 2/8/2013 12:02:37 AM
People who I consider "angstheits" are people who become, or currently are, atheists based on emotional reasons rather than logical thought processes. There are even some on this board.
---
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush
#89FlashOfLightPosted 2/8/2013 12:04:59 AM
JonWood007 posted...
The Bible isn't authoritative on anything.

I protest this statement, Sir.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#90kozlo100Posted 2/8/2013 12:07:48 AM
Yea, I'd chalk that one up to being a turn of phrase, which is essentially still under artistic license. Maybe there's enough like that to justify having a definition though.
---