This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Lets say there is a religion

#11OrangeWizardPosted 2/7/2013 9:32:55 PM
If that's the case, I'd say that 95% aren't actually fortune cookieists, so it wouldn't be fair to judge fortune cookieism by them.

This.
#12Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/7/2013 9:42:33 PM
When a religion/philosophy/etc. has a single doctrine of "be nice" and its followers don't follow it, it's not the religion's/etc.'s fault.

However, when it has multiple conflicting doctrines and its followers choose to follow the worse/more morally questionable ones, the religion/etc. is partly at fault.
#13bratt100Posted 2/7/2013 10:06:20 PM
fuzzypickles12 posted...
Does this religion have any kind of leadership or central governing body?

Why does that matter? He wasn't referring to an institution and religion doesn't need one. Ideally people would have a personal god, one that hasn't been muddied by 2000 years of mis translation and people imparting their will on others.

A god should be self evident, you should know what he wants instinctively. It would be better if it where obvious. It's not though.

It's as if god forgot that mankind has a history stretching back 150 000 but he only chose the last 2000 to actually let us know what he wanted and then only if you are a certain level of drunk.

Be nice to people. It's a great idea but then you would have groups who would then redefine what people means and they would use that to commit mass atrocities. But hey they aren't people anyway.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#14lastheroPosted 2/7/2013 10:13:40 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...
It's a terrible religion because "being nice to people" is vague as ****

Really? I dont have any trouble at all with that idea

I dunno, 'nice' can mean a lot of things. In the right situation, just about anything could be 'nice'.
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#15Far421Posted 2/7/2013 11:34:46 PM
It is harmful if its effects are harmful. The mere fact that it boldly states some god's desires without giving any proof of anything promotes an unhealthy attitude of blind obedience in its followers. Morality should be something we can grasp through logic and experience, not something that needs to be told to us. Your text does no good and at worst could do some bad.

Of course, no one would actually pay heed to such a text.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4341 2165 1292
#16UnfairRepresentPosted 2/7/2013 11:49:45 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
UnfairRepresent posted...
It's a terrible religion because "being nice to people" is vague as ****

Really? I dont have any trouble at all with that idea

When slavery started a lot of people thought it was kindness and beneficial.

For thousands of years people who abused their children thought they were being nice,

Gays being beaten and sent to conversion therapy is considered by bigots to be nice.

Nice is vague. Too vague.

It'd be nice if when walking down the street all the young attractive women stripped for me as they went past. Not sure they'd see it that way.
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#17OrangeWizardPosted 2/7/2013 11:52:51 PM
Morality should be

Teehee
#18fudrickPosted 2/8/2013 3:23:41 AM
bratt100 posted...
you would have groups who would then redefine what people means and they would use that to commit mass atrocities. But hey they aren't people anyway.

inb4abortion
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#19bratt100Posted 2/8/2013 3:32:27 AM
fudrick posted...
bratt100 posted...
you would have groups who would then redefine what people means and they would use that to commit mass atrocities. But hey they aren't people anyway.

inb4abortion

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#20DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 3:51:20 AM
I consider Buddhism to be the most moral religion, Christianity right behind. Doesn't speak for either's validity.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.