This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Scientology have just as much credibility as say Christianity?

#31DarkContractorPosted 2/14/2013 8:28:44 PM
sthater posted...
Also when I say I think that Christianity has a greater chance of being true I'm talking in relative terms here. I still think it's extremely unlikely to the point of being ludicrous(otherwise I would probably be a Christian myself) I'm just saying that there is a slightly greater chance of one being true. It's like saying that it's more likely that I'll win the lottery then move faster then the speed of light. Now you might go and say,"No that is false both of those are extrmely unlikely" but in fact only one of those is extremely unlikely the other one is just flat out impossible. It's not even a matter of likely hood at this point.

I would say that is the fundamental difference between Scientology and Christianity. Scientology cannot be true otherwise you would be able to cure addiction by sweating out "toxins" in a sauna but we know this is not true because addiction is an affliction of the brain. We don't have that kind of iron clad proof against Christianity(Excluding creationist claims and faith healing and all that other stuff). In conclusion I would say that Scientology isn't even a matter of faith since we can deconstruct and disprove it the same way we can debunk Vitalism, Phrenology, Creationism or any other sort of pseudoscience. Christianity itself though does not fall under that realm this all really pretty damn obvious and if this post can't explain it for you then you're never going to understand.

How exactly is original sin, the virgin birth, and resurrection not also pseudoscience? Science has provided us with iron clad proof that sperm cells are required for reproduction.

I mean, the question is whether or not God is real. How's he supposed to prove himself if any divine intervention is deemed psuedoscience? If there wasn't proof that we need sperm for reproduction, then it wouldn't be an act of God in the first place. right now you're just accepting your premise as your conclusion, imo.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#32bratt100Posted 2/14/2013 8:58:54 PM
Living to 900. False.
Adam and Eve. False.
Entire Ark story. False.
Miracles. False.
Immaculate conception. False.
Original sin. False.

These are things that do not stand up to the scientific method and they are at the very heart of Christianity.

Scientology makes many claims and most of them are false but they also make some accurate statements.

They base the idea's on flawed science but at least they make very few claims that require magic. With the obvious theaton idea being a direct parallel to the soul being one of the few magic related things.

You can attack the credibility of LRH and IMO you should, he was a lying drug abusing scumbag but so where many of the churches leaders and even Mormonism is a great example of this. It shows that the credibility of the leader has nothing to do with the truth of the religion or how believable people find it to be.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#33bratt100Posted 2/14/2013 9:09:45 PM
I think any divine intervention would be DIVINE. There would be something about it that could not come from any other source and we should see that.

It would also be easy for god to prove he is real. He is god, he could put a foot long hoagie in every persons hand at the same time with mayo that screams miracle and lettuce that crunches with the words hallelujah and as you bit into the sacred meat you would receive a personal message from god proving to you that he loves you and everyone else.

Now god has unlimited power and he wishes for us to follow him...but he gives us no guidance. So he wants us to believe but he's just to damn shy to do it.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#34Joe605Posted 2/15/2013 8:46:03 AM
DarkContractor posted...
sthater posted...
Also when I say I think that Christianity has a greater chance of being true I'm talking in relative terms here. I still think it's extremely unlikely to the point of being ludicrous(otherwise I would probably be a Christian myself) I'm just saying that there is a slightly greater chance of one being true. It's like saying that it's more likely that I'll win the lottery then move faster then the speed of light. Now you might go and say,"No that is false both of those are extrmely unlikely" but in fact only one of those is extremely unlikely the other one is just flat out impossible. It's not even a matter of likely hood at this point.

I would say that is the fundamental difference between Scientology and Christianity. Scientology cannot be true otherwise you would be able to cure addiction by sweating out "toxins" in a sauna but we know this is not true because addiction is an affliction of the brain. We don't have that kind of iron clad proof against Christianity(Excluding creationist claims and faith healing and all that other stuff). In conclusion I would say that Scientology isn't even a matter of faith since we can deconstruct and disprove it the same way we can debunk Vitalism, Phrenology, Creationism or any other sort of pseudoscience. Christianity itself though does not fall under that realm this all really pretty damn obvious and if this post can't explain it for you then you're never going to understand.

How exactly is original sin, the virgin birth, and resurrection not also pseudoscience? Science has provided us with iron clad proof that sperm cells are required for reproduction.

I mean, the question is whether or not God is real. How's he supposed to prove himself if any divine intervention is deemed psuedoscience? If there wasn't proof that we need sperm for reproduction, then it wouldn't be an act of God in the first place. right now you're just accepting your premise as your conclusion, imo.

An appearance might be a good place to start
---
Bowling IS a sport.
The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe in it.
#35B0bSagetPosted 2/16/2013 9:03:46 AM
Scientology has just as much chance of being true as any god or any fictional concept one can come up with. The method with which the idea was created is irrelevant to its validity. As long as the notion cannot be disproved with the knowledge we currently have, it is impossible to declare it more or less valid than any other concept.
#36OrangeWizardPosted 2/16/2013 3:03:43 PM
Living to 900. False.
Adam and Eve. False.
Entire Ark story. False.
Miracles. False.
Original sin. False.

These are things that do not stand up to the scientific method

Yeah, all those things are too complex for an omnipotent God to pull off
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#37Hustle KongPosted 2/16/2013 3:50:40 PM
Living to 900. False.
Adam and Eve. False.
Entire Ark story. False.
Miracles. False.
Original sin. False.

These are things that do not stand up to the scientific method

What bear is best?
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#38hunter_gohanPosted 2/16/2013 4:49:27 PM
sthater posted...
Yes. As unlikely as I do think it is there is no way to definitely prove that God does not exist. However we can(and have) definitely proved that the claims that Scientology makes about psychology and disease and addiction are completely and utterly wrong.

Seems to me you're holding them to two different standards. There is no way to definitely prove Xenu doesn't exist; however, we can (and have) definitely proved that claims that Christianity makes about psychology(demons) and disease(check out the bibles cure for leprosy: Leviticus 14:2-52 ) are completely and utterly wrong.
---
The food that stands on his [Odin's] table he gives to two wolves of his called Geri and Freki. He himself needs no food; wine is for him both drink and meat.
#39FlashOfLightPosted 2/17/2013 4:58:01 PM
Well, here's an update for you guys, YouTube is now having Scientology ad-promos featured on its home page, and the video is in a way similar to those "And I'm a Mormom" campaign videos that have already been around for quite a while.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!