This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

No matter how I look at it. Heaven ****ing sucks. (long rant)

#1UnfairRepresentPosted 2/8/2013 6:31:53 PM
Eternal life? I don't want eternal life. Imagining eternal anything is horrible. Oh but people say it's bliss and happiness... But that's even worse, Imagine being eternally blissful and happy? That'd be agony by day 7, let alone year 700000000000000000000000000000. What would we even do all day? Just exist? In joyful sloth? To ravage virgins and drink from rivers of honey? That's horrible.

And then there's other things. Everybody is up here? My great-great grandparents and the great-great grandparents of random people in France? That just sounds unpleasant and awkward. Meanwhile people I care about or others care about are still alive on Earth. And I'm not with them anymore, and either am wishing death on them so they can join me (which if so, I am no longer myself) Or I don't care that they are not with me (In which cause, I am no longer myself.) or do care but still am blissful anyway (in which case WTF?)

And this is ignoring people in Hell. I wouldn't even want my worst enemies to suffer ETERNALLY in damnation. Let alone friends and family, people who made mistakes including the mentally unstable. And just imagining all these people suffering would drive me to insanity. Yet apparently I don't care about them anymore and am blissfully happy.

"But No!" people cry at me. "Hell isn't eternal anymore. People now just suffer time equivalent to their sins. Then go to heaven." Well first off that "anymore." has just proven how daft religion can be. But even so this only a minor solution. I don't want people to suffer a hell jail sentence either. Where I wait a few centuries for them to torture my great uncle Bill and then let him go to back to heaven and still not care about his suffering. That's... weird. I also wouldn't want to spend heaven with Hitler or cavemen but I wouldn't want to suffer in hell for eternity or centuries either. That's just pointless.

"But!" cry the religious. "Hell and Heaven are the same place. It's only hell if you don't accept God." Well you've changed horses AGAIN. But regardless again this fixes nothing. I still don't want to be here for eternity, still confused over how I feel about the living, and I don't want to buddy up to Joesph Stalin because we're both atheists while the God acceptors live next to us happily.

"But!" cries the man with the face like a car and a body like a van. "You're not thinking right. Heaven and Hell are not the physical clouds and harps and honey and virgins you're imagining. It's a wondrously complex and spiritual existence far far beyond our comprehension for our souls to merge with God and be peacefully blissful."

This just raises more questions than ever before. If it's beyond our understanding and comprehension, how can we talk about it AT ALL. Let alone know that it exists, know it's connection to God, know we have souls, And know it is eternally peaceful and blissful. The entire conversation is pointless and so are your speculations. It also is not me. If "my soul" is a spiritual being beyond my comprehension, who isn't me, has another form, doesn't look/talk/act/think like me and lives it's own existence, this is a NEW being. Not me. It's just a poor new weird specie that lives trapped in humans (and only humans for some other daft reason) and my death empowers it... somehow.

And even that doesn't answer any of my original questions and problems. It just states "Beyond your comprehension" to evade them, while still be comprehensible enough to preach all this ever-changing stuff to everybody who is terrified of dying.

I don't see anyway how it makes sense or is desirable. And I never have.
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#2dkcprjePosted 2/8/2013 6:33:23 PM
Amen, brother!
---
"...says the guy who thinks a woman consents if she doesn't scream." "In that context, yes. It was consent. Get over it." - Numba1linesmen
#3DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 6:41:24 PM
while I do agree with the moral dilemma you're assessing with it, your understanding of theology is terrible.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#4countzanderPosted 2/8/2013 6:43:10 PM
Most of that post is based on an ignorance of theology. According to the Bible, people will be given a new body before going into a heaven, a body incapable of feeling pain and boredom and other mundane things. It helps to think of it as being hooked up to a bliss machine that makes you happy all the time.
---
http://i.imgur.com/k1nGh.jpg
#5DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 6:48:26 PM
Most of that post is based on an ignorance of theology. According to the Bible, people will be given a new body before going into a heaven, a body incapable of feeling pain and boredom and other mundane things. It helps to think of it as being hooked up to a bliss machine that makes you happy all the time.

assumed theology.

Psalm 37: four (lol four key broke too) "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires."

the methodism of that is entirely unmentioned.

Personally I don't think anyone's supposed to know what the Biblical Heaven is like besides good. Like it says in revelations, no one has even pictured it accurately in their mind (then John goes on to prophesize about what Heaven looks like but shhhhh). anyways, the theology I take out of that is that if we can picture Heaven in a certain way, then we can definitely say it's not the Biblical Heaven.
---
#6UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 6:49:53 PM
Please don't say "You're ignorant!" if you believe I am ignorant of anything then explain what I am ignorant of. Otherwise you're being silly.

countzander posted...

But here is the thing. I don't want that. And it still doesn't answer my questions. What is heaven like, is it actually eternal, does this "bliss machine" stop me from caring about those in hell and my loved ones on Earth, what is this new body? Me in my prime? Do I still have to be with Caveman Ug or at least Mr Peters the breadmaker from Dover in the 18th century and compare slothfull bliss?

And even this is ignoring how your "new body" concept is one not shared by the thousands of people who have passionately described heaven to me.

Just sounds like everyone picks their thing, and has no concept for how illogical it is all or the problems it creates or what eternity is or what you are.

Riddle me this: A man walks up to you and says that he is you. You'd say no he isn't.

Then how come this new body me in heaven is me? Especially if it doesn't act or think like me? It's a new being again.
---
#7SuibomPosted 2/8/2013 6:52:04 PM
UnfairRepresent posted...
Please don't say "You're ignorant!" if you believe I am ignorant of anything then explain what I am ignorant of. Otherwise you're being silly.

Why do you get to rant vaguely but he has to be specific?
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#8DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 6:58:28 PM(edited)

doesn't matter, since I went ahead and gave him some explanation of Heaven theologyFrom: DarkContractor | #005

assumed theology.

Psalm 37: four (lol four key broke too) "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desires."

Personally I don't think anyone's supposed to know what the Biblical Heaven is like besides good. Like it says in revelations, no one has even pictured it accurately in their mind (then John goes on to prophesize about what Heaven looks like but shhhhh). anyways, the theology I take out of that is that if we can picture Heaven in a certain way, then we can definitely say it's not the Biblical Heaven.

Better yet, I challenge you to justify your theology of Heaven using the Scripture of whichever religion you're referring to (admittedly, I strawmanned you as attacking Christianity specifically).

Personally, the moral dilema is valid imo, but I would take the boredom aspect as a joke. You are literally with God. Like in his presence.
---
#9UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 7:07:02 PM
Suibom posted...

Because I am not calling him ignorant on anything.

And I am not vague at all, I directly explain what I am arguing against every step of the topic
---
#10DarkContractorPosted 2/8/2013 7:13:39 PM

doesn't matter, since I went ahead and gave him some explanation of Heaven theologyFrom: DarkContractor | #005

assumed theology.

Better yet, I challenge you to justify your theology of Heaven using the Scripture of whichever religion you're referring to (admittedly, I strawmanned you as attacking Christianity specifically).

Personally, the moral dilema is valid imo, but I would take the boredom aspect as a joke. You are literally with God. Like in his presence.

---