This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't believe I didn't know about the "final Pope" prophecy until yesterday.

#1LinkFanaticPosted 2/12/2013 2:01:59 AM
Apparently it's common knowledge too. Where have I been? >_<
---
SSJ Gotenks is santa clause, because he can fly around the planet in one night. - ShaolinAced
#2Maximum OverdrivePosted 2/12/2013 2:13:25 AM
Yes, The Prophecy of St Malachay.

Now that Benedict is stepping down, expect Petrus Romanus to herald the end of the world. Just in time as North Korea has done its third prohibited nuclear test.

;) Just kidding

I hope o_o

---
---
Resistance: Fall of Man username: [AM>]Shadow_Angel
MGO username: [PED] SHADOW ANGEL
#3PhoroPosted 2/12/2013 3:48:52 AM
I'm interested in what the official Catholic response will be when the prophecy proves false. Do they renounce Malachy's sainthood and/or declare him a false prophet? Or will they just sweep the whole thing under the rug and elect a 113th Pope like nothing ever happened?
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#4Maximum OverdrivePosted 2/12/2013 3:57:54 AM
Phoro posted...
I'm interested in what the official Catholic response will be when the prophecy proves false. Do they renounce Malachy's sainthood and/or declare him a false prophet? Or will they just sweep the whole thing under the rug and elect a 113th Pope like nothing ever happened?

The Catholic Church doesn't recognize the prophecy as genuine in the first place so there will be no official reaction. It was never recognized as authentic and seen only as a "forgery". The doomsday conspirators were the ones who always made it seem official.
---
#5PhoroPosted 2/12/2013 4:33:55 AM
Maximum Overdrive posted...
Phoro posted...

The Catholic Church doesn't recognize the prophecy as genuine in the first place so there will be no official reaction. It was never recognized as authentic and seen only as a "forgery". The doomsday conspirators were the ones who always made it seem official.

So their stance is that Malachay never even made the prophecy in the first place? Why does your first post make you sound skeptical but concerned about it, then?
---
#6Maximum OverdrivePosted 2/12/2013 4:53:34 AM(edited)
Phoro posted...
Maximum Overdrive posted...
Phoro posted...

So their stance is that Malachay never even made the prophecy in the first place? Why does your first post make you sound skeptical but concerned about it, then?

Yes, the church has always denied it.

I've always been a skeptic of prophecies and don't believe a single one of them. However, I was raised to be religious and it's stuck with me and I'm now 28 years old. While I don't believe in the Prophecy of the Popes, I always held an interest in it and I tend to want to believe in stuff like that. Another example of that is, I don't believe in ghosts (like the ones who haunt houses and abandoned hospitals), but nonetheless, they've always fascinated me and make me WANT to believe. I don't know why I want to, I just do.

I know, it's weird. How can you believe in a religion but not believe in that other stuff. To be honest, I don't know. That's just how my personal belief system developed. Not to mention, according to Catholicism, people who die don't come back as ghosts but stay "asleep" until judgement day. Also, the church mentions that absolutely no one knows when the end will come. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a false prophet/attention seeker/crazy.

---
#7PhoroPosted 2/12/2013 5:04:50 AM
Fair enough. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. I certainly won't hold your personal beliefs or idiosyncrasies against you. I'm an atheist, but I still wonder about a lot of that stuff too. If nothing else, it's fun to think about, and some of my favorite movies touch on such subjects.
---
#8the_hedonistPosted 2/12/2013 6:40:25 AM
I've never heard of it. Perhaps it's a good sign for the Catholic Church, though. Maybe there aren't quite as many crazies among the Catholics as there are among Protestants.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#9JonWood007Posted 2/12/2013 7:49:35 PM
I knew of it vaguely....I remember a lot of talk about it when Benedict was named pope...people were saying the next one would be the last or something.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#10CthulhuPosted 2/17/2013 3:06:45 PM
Its never a good idea to build into your prophesy something that will falsify it. That's why a lot of people simply believe Jesus will return "someday" and that nobody knows. When you start listing year and number of Popes, one of these days, we'll reach that year and Pope, and those following it will look like idiots when the world doesn't end