This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Giving away my spiritual book collection

#1DarkContractorPosted 2/12/2013 7:32:02 AM(edited)
Have a few books laying around, claim what you want, PM me your address. itd be cool if you give me shipping money but if not no worries

Crazy Love (Francis Chan)
Strength For today (John MacArthur, its a devotional)
the Keys to Spiritual Growth (John MacArthur)
the Christian Atheist (Craig Groeschel)
Pathway to Discipleship (devotional by multiple authors)
Purpose Driven Life (rick warren)

I think thats all I have (im holding onto my apologetics books) but if I think of anymore I'll post it here.

oh and I hold a James 1:27 membership at Family Christian Stores. the premium one that gets the highest discounts, not the basic membership. I can see if I get that transferred to anyone.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#2Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/12/2013 7:08:04 AM
What happeend to you, dark contractor? You used to be beautiful man! Ever since your supposed de conversion your posting like a zombie. I know something is wrong. You dont wanna respond to PM, so i have to call you out on here.
#3DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 7:57:41 AM(edited)
how am I a zombie? I'm giving away Christian books to this board as an atheist and I'm a zombie? Surely if I was a Christian and gave away the same books on this board you would call it beautiful and see it as a beautiful way of spreading the Good News and reaching out. If I am incorrect in that assertion, by all means explain to me what reaction you would have had.

Everythings fine, I assure you. I got multiple, multiple pms from people asking what happened. And to all of you, I assure you there is no detail left from my de-conversion topic. No hidden trial or temptation or anything. Legit skepticism, a legit lack of response from God. I'm much happier honestly. the placebo of thinking everything will always be okay is gone, but I have nothing holding me back from truly appreciating the universe of what it is. I no longer have moral issues that I constantly have to convince myself to trust God on (all while dealing with unanswered prayers of helping my trust) (like the condemning of homosexuality, all the things people just say anything God does is a priori good on). I can take a true understanding of science instead of being worried about how it will impact my believes. I recently read up on the genealogy of morality and analogous misfires. I would have random urges and thoughts pop up that I would feel like a horrible person for having (don't need to go into detail on this, it's private). Bible says I'm a horrible person for having them and I need to repent since I deserve to burn for my thoughts. Science says it's completely natural and gives me actual, concrete ways of dealing with them.

Anyways, wanna book, man?
---
#4myzz7Posted 2/12/2013 7:27:13 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 7:30:12 AM
i would be interested in a couple, but i rather have you not incur shipping costs.

its fine dude, I wouldn't offer it if I couldn't afford it. Do you have any in particular in mind?

I should mention btw, I'm not concerned with the perception of me at all. I just find my emotional state being defined by my believes then extrapolating that assertion to assume there's more to my de-conversion than what I said funny and incorrect, that's all.
---
#6FlashOfLightPosted 2/12/2013 7:41:44 AM
DarkContractor posted...

No wonder you forfeited on your faith after reading this bunk.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#7DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 7:50:40 AM(edited)
DarkContractor posted...

the Christian Atheist was awesome, never finished the others, haha. tca was a big wake up call on things I wasn't doing as a Christian and a lot more ways to incorporate altruism and love into my discipleship of others.

also, I know you're being sarcastic, but are you saying some books were able to overcome the callings of the Holy Spirit or the convicting power of Scripture? :P

also, while I never finished Crazy Love, from what I did read Chan was absolutely nailing some things that should be apparent in a growing Christian's life. I still hold the opinion that he's the best Pastor in America. Multiply was another big wake up call. And his sermons are so to the point but still so meaty. I saw him at Passion 2013 and was blown away.
---
#8Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/12/2013 8:12:23 AM
DarkContractor posted...
DarkContractor posted...

the Christian Atheist was awesome, never finished the others, haha. tca was a big wake up call on things I wasn't doing as a Christian and a lot more ways to incorporate altruism and love into my discipleship of others.

also, I know you're being sarcastic, but are you saying some books were able to overcome the callings of the Holy Spirit or the convicting power of Scripture? :P

also, while I never finished Crazy Love, from what I did read Chan was absolutely nailing some things that should be apparent in a growing Christian's life. I still hold the opinion that he's the best Pastor in America. Multiply was another big wake up call. And his sermons are so to the point but still so meaty. I saw him at Passion 2013 and was blown away.

you speak like you still know god is real. You speak like you know the love of god is real. Do you realize the words you are saying? How can you be blown away by something that you dont believe in?

DC, i hate to be the one to break this to you- but over time the holy spirit will convict you, more and more painfully as time goes on, and you will forced to make a choice at a cross roads- come back to the father of truth, or continue down a road of disobedience that only leads to death. The Lord says that the holy spirit will convict straying sheep. You are being a bad sheep, DC. From one sheep to another- please come back. The Lord wants you, I want you, the church wants you. I dont know how else to say this in words. I sound like a little drama queen right now. I dont know what else to say.
#9FlashOfLightPosted 2/12/2013 8:33:47 AM(edited)
DarkContractor posted...

My criticism of these books in general, are that they get either a convert, to-be convert, or current christian to focus too much first on a worldy life, by that I mean that they appeal too much to vain and petty things that are typical concerns of what you would hear from psychologists on talk shows, talking about irrelevant and temporary nonsense. With this, they throw in just a bit of scripture, and the rest of their book is exclusively their content and ideas, they are trying more to sell themselves than God's Word.

For example, in a clip here with the same Craig, he... ok, mixes some scripture in, but then he goes on to say at 3:38-51 that he is aware of this problem of christians turning to the world, but he, like many others focus their speaking methods on personal stories, and a style akin to an infomercial host, which detracts away from God's word. The point Christ was trying to emphasize about Satan coming immediately and taking away what was sown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12WWJJCVsJ8

I am referring to what Paul warns about in 1Cor. 3:11-13

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is."

If speakers and christian authors think that their intent will be fruitful by having 2 percent Bible, and 98% emotional appeal, their work will always fail. The root will dry up, and the tree will wither and die. Even so, is one's faith. Faith comes by hearing the Word of God, it can't be brushed off to the side -

Romans 10:17

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

If you hold him as the best Pastor, that is well, but God emphasizes that we all have to come to a point where we no longer rely on others to be taken by the hand, but that we ourselves are instructed well enough to the point where we can go out and catch men.

Here is Christ saying that ->

Matthew 28:19-20

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Now, how can a christian teach, if he is still a novice? This is what is explained in Hebrews 5:12

"For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat."
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#10LastManStandingPosted 2/12/2013 8:36:17 AM
Books that have impromptur which someone claims responsiblity in front of God, that you want to read. Look at your bible.
You have three Impromi Potest, Nihil Obstat, and Imprimatur.
Everything else you are in danger of getting corrupted. Corruption is very very dangerous for faith. It is a seed that gets planted in you, which can ruin you.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000