This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would it take to convince you of another belief?

#1DarkContractorPosted 2/12/2013 10:07:33 AM
So for theists, what would it take to convince you of another religion, or that God does not exist?

For atheists, what would convince you God is real?

For me, to be convinced of Christianity in particular, all I would need honestly is just for Jesus to pop up for like five seconds, do an undeniable miracle, and I would follow him for the rest of my life. I would have zero problem on trusting him on moral issues. etc. Swap Jesus out with another deity for how I'd be convinced of another religion.
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#2Joe605Posted 2/12/2013 10:28:15 AM
Nothing, there is absolutely nothing that could ever make me "believe".

If it is the truth, belief becomes unnecessary.
---
Bowling IS a sport.
The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe in it.
#3DarkContractor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 10:30:31 AM
Nothing, there is absolutely nothing that could ever make me "believe".

If it is the truth, belief becomes unnecessary.

you know what I mean.

anyways, what would you consider sufficient evidence to realize a certain religion is "truth"?
---
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
#4JonWood007Posted 2/12/2013 10:47:10 AM
I know we discussed this a little, but to answer your question in a more vague way (since God described here is vague), I would say it depends on the god. Deism is probably the easiest to convince me of. The whole thing is, you can't interact with that version of God by definition. However, it may be possible to convince one through science and philosophy. Even as an atheist, I still recognize deism as a viable possibility.

Religious gods require a lot more evidence. After all, religions make a lot of claims about the world, and a lot of these claims are inconsistent with reality. As mentioned over PM, probably a conversation with God and answers to whatever questions I have.

The thing with my deconversion is not one thing caused it. It was a breakdown of an entire worldview. If you are a Christian and find one thing incorrect about your faith and believe in the rest, you likely will not change your belief outside of that one fact. But when your entire worldview breaks down, you may lose all reason to believe in it. That's how I deconverted, and I would say a similar process would need to happen to get me back to theism. Basically, I would need a whole worldview shift to take me back into a religion.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#5IamvegitoPosted 2/12/2013 10:53:50 AM
I'm already pluralist. You can't convince me of ****.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#6kozlo100Posted 2/12/2013 11:24:44 AM
The short answer is evidence that I find compelling.

It's kind of hard to say what that would be without actually seeing it, but my bar is much lower than witnessing miracles or seeing physical manifestations of deities. In fact, I'd go so far as to say a good line of reasoning would do the trick.
---
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick
#7TyIerb7Posted 2/12/2013 12:42:37 PM
JonWood007 posted...
Deism is probably the easiest to convince me of. The whole thing is, you can't interact with that version of God by definition. However, it may be possible to convince one through science and philosophy. Even as an atheist, I still recognize deism as a viable possibility.

that's pretty absurd to concede.
#8Hustle KongPosted 2/12/2013 12:46:18 PM
Whim, maybe.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#9PhoroPosted 2/12/2013 1:05:21 PM
If I saw a sign.
It would open up my eyes if I saw a sign.
Because life is demanding, without understanding.
---
You're killin' me, Smalls.
#10JonWood007Posted 2/12/2013 1:53:29 PM
TyIerb7 posted...
JonWood007 posted...
Deism is probably the easiest to convince me of. The whole thing is, you can't interact with that version of God by definition. However, it may be possible to convince one through science and philosophy. Even as an atheist, I still recognize deism as a viable possibility.

that's pretty absurd to concede.

Why is it absurd to admit that it is a lot easier to convince me of a version of god that relies on only a few claims vs one that relies on many?
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768