This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would it take to convince you of another belief?

#81OrangeWizardPosted 2/17/2013 4:05:53 PM(edited)
How you're sliding from "conversation with a being" to "supernatural-ish experience with an otherworldly being" in an attempt to give yourself reasons not to believe.

Soon you'll be experiencing eldritch horrors.
---
Trolling and making valid arguments are not mutually exclusive things.
#82ryan0991Posted 2/17/2013 4:07:21 PM
There is no backpedaling. You got confused by my initial post. I gave you more detail to clear up the confusion. And now you're being your typical antagonistic self by claiming that I'm backpedaling. You have the absolute more antagonistic methods of arguing that I have ever seen.
---
http://gamercard.xbox360achievements.org/x360a-1/BOBtheMASTER.png
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#83OrangeWizardPosted 2/17/2013 4:09:06 PM(edited)
If you trust your senses when talking with me, you should also trust your senses when talking with God, unless you happen to get struck on the head, or start some new medication between now and then.

You can't cherry-pick when you'll trust your senses, or rather, you can't retroactively look at a conversation and say "I don't want God to exist, so I'll just write that whole thing off as a hallucination"
---
#84ryan0991Posted 2/17/2013 4:25:17 PM(edited)
If you trust your senses when talking with me, you should also trust your senses when talking with God, unless you happen to get struck on the head, or start some new medication between now and then.

You can't cherry-pick when you'll trust your senses.

Do you have trouble reading? I'm pretty sure I already explained all of this.

Let's say you approach me at a restaurant and we have a perfectly normal conversation about normal things (let's say we talk about sports). I have no reason to be skeptical of any of this. I have no reason to think that my senses deceived me in this instance.

In a different scenario let's also say that I'm sitting at a restaurant and suddenly a glowing otherworldly being appears before me that no on else can see. It speaks to me and tells me that he is god and tells me that he loves me. Then just as quickly he disappears. In this case I DO have reason to doubt what my senses just perceived.

I really cannot explain this anymore simply.

You can't cherry-pick when you'll trust your senses, or rather, you can't retroactively look at a conversation and say "I don't want God to exist, so I'll just write that whole thing off as a hallucination"

It has nothing to do with "not wanting god to exist". That's exactly the kind of crap I was just talking about.

My options would be "believe that god just spoke to me" or "assume that I had a hallucination\or that my senses are failing me in some way". Without actually having this happen to me I don't know for sure what I would decide, but I think I would be more inclined to believe that I hallucinated.

Or as Hustle said, I'd probably go see a doctor.
---
Could care less = you care at least somewhat. Couldn't care less = you don't care at all.
#85Hustle KongPosted 2/17/2013 4:17:06 PM
You can't cherry-pick when you'll trust your senses

When your senses bring to you information that is wholly outside your previous experience, it is certainly prudent to be cautious. Depending on HOW out of the ordinary they are, you might want to see a doctor.

That also doesn't mean to throw the experience out. But it would be a shame to say, have a brain tumor.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#86ryan0991Posted 2/17/2013 4:23:51 PM
You can't cherry-pick when you'll trust your senses

When your senses bring to you information that is wholly outside your previous experience, it is certainly prudent to be cautious. Depending on HOW out of the ordinary they are, you might want to see a doctor.

That also doesn't mean to throw the experience out. But it would be a shame to say, have a brain tumor.

This
---
#87OrangeWizardPosted 2/17/2013 5:50:10 PM
a glowing otherworldly being appears before me that no on else can see

Yep, these scenarios just keep getting more and more ridiculous, and thus, you keep inventing more and more reasons as to why you should discard the event.

It has nothing to do with "not wanting god to exist". That's exactly the kind of crap I was just talking about.

uh-huh, sure.

Or as Hustle said, I'd probably go see a doctor.

Be careful you don't crawl into a sewer and seek medical help from a rat, seeing as you can't trust your senses anymore.
---
#88Hustle KongPosted 2/17/2013 5:59:24 PM
so if you suddenly started hearing voices, or seeing things completely out of the ordinary, you wouldn't bother considering seeking medical help? Is that what I'm supposed to get from your pithy response?

If I were to only trust my senses, then almost every night when I go to sleep, some pretty out-there things happen.

I'd also have David Blaine prosecuted for something or other.

We have to do a bit more than simply and completely trust our senses. Some sort of interpretation has to come into play.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#89OrangeWizardPosted 2/17/2013 6:34:25 PM
so if you suddenly started hearing voices, or seeing things completely out of the ordinary, you wouldn't bother considering seeking medical help?

I'd consider it.
I'd also consider that it might be more difficult, if not impossible, for me to correctly do so, depending on how insane I am.

I might just crawl into that sewer, thinking that I'm actually at the doctor's office.
---
#90JonWood007Posted 2/17/2013 6:36:45 PM

He is if he's talking to people, like ryan suggests.

Well here's the thing, i can't talk to God, and everyone who claims to seems to reflect their own desires in their supposed conversations....and even contradict one another.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768