This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As a Christian, I would like to thank atheists.

#1IamvegitoPosted 2/12/2013 2:47:26 PM
Thank you for calling out the bullcrap spewed by "fundamentalists." Thank you for keeping us intellectually honest. The best way to hone one's beliefs is by being open to criticism of said beliefs by those outside the community. It's easier for others to see one's faults than for one to see one's own faults.

I also apologize for anyone attempting to "convert" you from your own experience with Ultimate Reality. No one is 100% correct, as no one is a universal person. Your telos is your own, as each telos is particular to its holder.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#2JonWood007Posted 2/12/2013 2:48:52 PM
You're welcome.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#3LastManStandingPosted 2/12/2013 2:53:52 PM
Love one another:) that is very good
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#4Hustle KongPosted 2/12/2013 3:01:20 PM
I hope my thanks to this board from helping me abandon angstheism is writ large in all my words. <3
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#5Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/12/2013 9:36:37 PM
Jesus himself encouraged people to scrutinize his word (meaning the entirety of the bible). Im all for scrutiny as long as its based off of facts actually in the bible, and not made up lies (jesus marrying M. Magdelene, etc.), butt hurt atheist ranting, or verses taken out of context and turned into something that they never were (like the part in the old testament talking about killing descendents of babylon refferred to as children).

So, atheists, keep up the intelligence. But please, get rid of the stupidity at the same time.
#6Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/12/2013 9:37:36 PM
Hustle Kong posted...
I hope my thanks to this board from helping me abandon angstheism is writ large in all my words. <3

to be honest, going from the content of your posts, i thought you were a non believer all this time. Are you saying you believe and follow jesus?
#7fudrickPosted 2/12/2013 9:52:03 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
to be honest, going from the content of your posts, i thought you were a non believer all this time. Are you saying you believe and follow jesus?

Lol?
---
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
#8JonWood007Posted 2/12/2013 9:54:20 PM
Polish_Crusader posted...
Jesus himself encouraged people to scrutinize his word (meaning the entirety of the bible). Im all for scrutiny as long as its based off of facts actually in the bible, and not made up lies (jesus marrying M. Magdelene, etc.), butt hurt atheist ranting, or verses taken out of context and turned into something that they never were (like the part in the old testament talking about killing descendents of babylon refferred to as children).

So, atheists, keep up the intelligence. But please, get rid of the stupidity at the same time.

Using only the Bible to scrutinize the Bible is circular dude. This is what I get annoyed about in Christianity. You can have an opinion....as long as you end up agreeing with us. You're not free thinking if you're limiting your thoughts.

Jesus marrying Mary Magdaline is a stretch, and I find it unsupported by history, especially since most of the texts that allude to this are written like 100+ years after the fact.

As for talking about context. That's a tricky thing. You may mean a theological context, based off of what I know about your belief. I agree context is important, but I'd argue we need a more historical context, which is what Christians sorely lack in these discussions. Your context =/= my context.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768
#9Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/12/2013 10:05:12 PM
Oh no, jonwood. You misunderstood. I didnt mean only use the bible to scrutinize itself. I meant I can only meaningfully discuss scrutiny on the bible if the subject is the ACTUAL content in the bible. Like for instance- all those morons that use mediums of research and scrutiny that are unverifiable to the average person to attack the bible - like the science behind fossil study and carbon dating and different scientific theorys and string theory, etc. the list goes on. People only bring up those things when they are failing and are attempting to sound smarter to win a debate. Use something that people can actually verify themselves and talk about, like the history of the storys behind what happened in the bible, the documented tablets of the empires at the time, etc.

That was what i meant. Does that make sense?
#10LastManStandingPosted 2/12/2013 10:05:57 PM
To believe get through Genesis 1:1
In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth
STOP.
Start your faith there, believe first sentence of the Bible.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000