This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am a Satanist and I want to discuss something.

#21FaustianLogix(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:28:52 AM
Thuggernautz posted...
FaustianLogix posted...

This is all very well worded and very true. The name "satanism" does tie into a number of negative things, however this isn't something I have an issue with. It's more the complexity of having to explain it to someone who doesn't understand that actual devil worship isn't involved in it at all. At least not in a literal sense, anyway. In a nutshell, it is as Polish said above. Indulgence as opposed to abstinence and so on (the opposite of what Christianity stands for) and worship of the self instead of a higher being. For me specifically this was something I manifested in my behavior as a greater degree of self control. This, in turn, led to me not only quitting smoking and drinking (which I had done since I was 14 as a coping mechanism) but also to dealing with my anger management problems.

It sounds like you have built up your willpower a bit since adopting the religion. That's good. However, do you need to be a part of a community adhering to such dogma as "magic", when you can clearly see it's nonsense? It seems to me you can take the lessons you've learned from the religion and move on. You could throw off the trappings of ritual and dogma, and just do what it is you need to do. I'm sure there are plenty of indulgent, self worshipping atheists out there. And many of them probably don't have to practice 'magic' when they find the concept and lack of effect completely ludicrous.

EDIT: Ironically, it sounds like I'm trying to proselytize atheism here as if it was a religion. I only noticed it after re-reading my post. I just meant to write that from what you wrote it seems as if you're pretty much an atheist already but have some weird compunction to continue with rituals that you find nonsensical. I don't think you need to, but obviously that's a decision only you can make.

See, that's exactly what has been going through my head lately. I've never practiced any of the ritualistic parts of the text (there is a good bit dedicated to it, something like the last 1/3rd of their "bible") purely because it just seemed so odd. Especially so since it seems so rooted in the physical and the real. In a nutshell, there seems to be much more clear sort of connection with atheism than their is with Satanism purely based on the ritualistic standpoints of the latter.
---
PSN - FelixxFaust | http://faust-tldr.blogspot.com/
Twitch.tv/Player_F | @FaustianLogix for streaming updates.
#22Hustle KongPosted 2/13/2013 9:38:51 AM(edited)
I'm a former Satanist. I eventually gave it up, as defining myself like that in opposition to another thing started to become irritating.

While I eventually came to see ritual and "magic" as somewhat essential to us (though not doing what they purport to do, yet an important myth), the problem is that not having grown up IN that tradition, the rituals seemed like an affectation, and I couldn't lose my self-consciousness.

So I decided that any rituals I deal with must be ones that mean something to me, whether that is through invention or the cribbing of other tradition's rituals.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#23SilviiroPosted 2/13/2013 11:40:01 AM
It's always seemed to me that LaVeyan Satanism was basically Objectivism with some rituals thrown in for the fun of it.
---
"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." -- Ecclesiastes 1:14
#24Mike_StantonPosted 2/14/2013 10:51:14 AM
I'm a LaVeyan Satanist as well. Great to have another one on board.
---
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009
Prove me wrong
#25EastsideslingerPosted 2/14/2013 2:58:32 PM
LastManStanding posted...
FaustianLogix posted...
LastManStanding posted...
Can you tell people here how Satanists have much higher reach into the world, than people realize.
During your soul searching, did you pick Satanism because you are rejecting worshiping Christ?
I'm a Catholic by the way, disciple of Christ, and I'm very well aware of Satan.

I don't know so much about how high they reach into society, but they are more similar to a business than a religion. They don't believe religions should be tax exempt for starters and pay their own bills and such. Because of that they have the one large, central church that they run. I believe it's in New York but I haven't taken an interest in the actual church.

As far as my soul searching, I came upon Satanism because I had taken an interest in a lot of various religions (and theology in general, I'd like to take some college courses in the future if possible). For some very personal reasons I chose Satanism because it filled a niche in my personality that helped me overcome hardship in my life and has since made me into what I think is a better person overall.

It is a hierarchy and yes it is ran as business.
The ones on the very top have direct access to Satan, in promise of riches, pleasures, etc. I think there is no allowance for drugs at that level because that is a sign of weakness.
Did they seal you with something, or enchanted you?
The thing is that you might not feel it now, but if you will try to leave you will find out is not so simple.
Listen if something weird starts to happen, just scream Jesus save me.

It's funny you say that because the Vatican has its own bank hierarchy hell it even has its own country for all intents and purposes. Don't throw stones in a glass house
---
"That's Mushy Snugglebites' badonkadonk. She's my main squeeze. Lady's got a gut fulla' dynamite and a booty like POOOW!" - Tiny Tina
#26Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 3:14:54 PM
Vatican City is explicitly a sovereign city-state. No "for all intents and purposes about it"!

And I guess I'm kind of glad people quote LMS sometimes, because occasionally it's a good laugh.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#27Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/15/2013 5:34:51 PM
I'm a bit confused here. I thought LaVeyan Satanism didn't actually involve mysticism, just glorification of self-indulgence. Is this some mix of brands or what?

As an atheist myself, I find LaVeyan Satanism rather childish, although not as bad as "Reverse Christian" Satanists (if those even actually exist).
#28Hustle KongPosted 2/15/2013 5:59:14 PM
LaVeyan Satanism does involve ritual magic. It's like, half the Satanic Bible.
---
Shooting Game never die.
#29Lord_IchmaelPosted 2/15/2013 6:03:45 PM
I thought LaVey himself disavowed such notions... My mistake then.
#30Hustle KongPosted 2/15/2013 6:08:26 PM
It's probably difficult to explain with any justice, but it seems to make sense to me. Acknowledging the human need for myth and ritual is not too far out there.
---
Shooting Game never die.