This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please explain to me why so many American Christians support the death penalty.

#1Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 2/13/2013 2:18:52 PM
If you truly believe in the central tenets of Jesus and what he says in the New Testament, there is absolutely no possible logic or reason that would justify your support for the death penalty. None.

And no, the death penalty =/= imminent self-defense. Not even by a long shot.
---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#2LastManStandingPosted 2/13/2013 2:27:30 PM
Supporting death penalty is a sin.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#3WelshGamer82Posted 2/13/2013 2:28:16 PM
From: Barenziah Boy Toy | Posted: 2/13/2013 9:18:52 PM | #001
If you truly believe in the central tenets of Jesus and what he says in the New Testament, there is absolutely no possible logic or reason that would justify your support for the death penalty. None.

Why would anyone waste time giving you a reason why American Christians support the death penalty, if, simultaneously, there's no possible reason that would justify their support for the death penalty?
---
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7020/jesustwitter.jpg
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. < ><
#4Wandering__HeroPosted 2/13/2013 2:32:19 PM
Because sadly the fundies tend to just do what they are told rather than what is taught by Jesus.

Right Wing Christianity is actually unbilciical and a radical departure from Jesus's words but eh.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#5Barenziah Boy Toy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 2:33:19 PM
Why would anyone waste time giving you a reason why American Christians support the death penalty, if, simultaneously, there's no possible reason that would justify their support for the death penalty?
Because I'm trying to humor them.
---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#6Wandering__HeroPosted 2/13/2013 2:51:20 PM
I don't think we have that type of Christian here (they tend to be older folks who haven't grasped this new found internet thing), so I don't know if this thread will get anywhere.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#7Moorish_IdolPosted 2/13/2013 3:30:43 PM
As a non-Christian I supported the death penalty up until a few years ago, after seeing Changeling. The execution scene pretty much beat any support I had for it out of me.
#8SuibomPosted 2/13/2013 3:44:49 PM
I would assume they view it as a permissible, even a necessary, form of justice. That for heinous crimes and/or unrepentant criminals, who demonstrate no empathy or sorrow, it's a fitting sentence.

If you're asking for a scriptural reason why they may feel that way, I couldn't say. You should ask them. And while you're at it, tell them to stop being so hard on beer. If Jesus turned water in to wine, if CS Lewis knocked back a few at the pub over a hearty theological discussion, if Yeungling keeps producing religious-experience-level lagers, then why should I be looked at funny for wanting a brew with my brat at the church picnic?
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#9Wandering__HeroPosted 2/13/2013 3:51:02 PM
I do wish the fail Christians used the internet so we could call out their hypocircsy and nonsense, but meh. Still on the positive side once they die off they'll be far less people growing up to replacing them
---
#10Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/13/2013 4:44:48 PM
The Lord said in genesis when someone takes a life their life should be taken.