This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you believe in God?

#1UnfairRepresentPosted 2/13/2013 2:59:14 PM
Be as vague or as specific as you wish What made you believe God or Gods exist?
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#2DeadPresidents2Posted 2/13/2013 3:18:37 PM
When I was younger, my family jumped around from view to view (everything Eastern Mysticism to Judiasm to Christianity) and it basically taught me to be extremely shrewd with holding your beliefs in higher regard than others.

Today, I have never been more comfortable with being a Deist, tinkering on the term "Christian Deist". I've considered atheism many times--and indeed, many people think that I am one, given how I talk in my classes--but it's just not for me. I've always naturally gravitated towards having humility about the unknown, and when I've weighed the points against one another, those in favor of a god have made more sense to me.

Basically, whenever we have religious discussions in my classes, I find myself in that highly uncomfortable scenario where I roll my eyes whenever theists talk, then facepalm whenever atheists respond.
---
Me to this random girl : Mygirlfriendsayswhat? Random girl: What?
Me: Zing!
#3Moorish_IdolPosted 2/13/2013 3:34:12 PM
I would answer you but you have a pattern of calling things you don't understand "stupid" and I don't want to encourage your bad habit.
#4LastManStandingPosted 2/13/2013 4:02:34 PM
UnfairRepresent posted...

Eternal life.
My Catholic faith was given to me by my parents. So I been a child of God since very little.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#5GBALoserPosted 2/13/2013 4:12:06 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...
I would answer you but you have a pattern of calling things you don't understand "stupid" and I don't want to encourage your bad habit.

---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#6chareyPosted 2/13/2013 4:15:34 PM
LastManStanding posted...

Eternal life.
My Catholic faith was given to me by my parents. So I been a child of God since very little.

So the only reason you are a Christian is Pascal's wager? I don't think God would be fooled a mercenary belief made just for your reward. That is without mentioning that Pascal's wager is a false dichotomy.

If you are going to be a Christian it needs to be for the love of God, if you are only in it for the reward you will not get the reward.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#7Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/13/2013 4:44:07 PM
I believe in God because i called on him and he answered me. I had faith in him and he had faith in me. I have seen so many miracles i dont even remember them all. Other friends of mine have called me up and said they got a revelation about me from jesus in a dream about something that would happen to me in the future. I would swear they were crazy and deny it. Then in a few months it actually happened. The things i have experienced spiritually in the past year are absolutely amazing.

Does that answer your question?
#8UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 4:48:18 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...

Why do you care what I think of your beliefs?

I'm just asking what they are. You just sound like you're ashamed.
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#9Moorish_IdolPosted 2/13/2013 7:10:28 PM
Moorish_Idol posted...

Why do you care what I think of your beliefs?

I'm just asking what they are. You just sound like you're ashamed.

I didn't say I care. I said I don't want to encourage your bad habit.
#10SirThinkALotPosted 2/13/2013 7:13:11 PM
Because God's existence makes sense of some things that dont make sense without him...
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305