This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you believe in God?

#11UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 6:19:58 PM
SirThinkALot posted...
Because God's existence makes sense of some things that dont make sense without him...

Such as?
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#12SirThinkALotPosted 2/13/2013 9:07:50 PM
UnfairRepresent posted...
SirThinkALot posted...
Because God's existence makes sense of some things that dont make sense without him...

Such as?

The beginnings of Christianity, meta-ethics, possibly the beginings of space and time...
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#13IamvegitoPosted 2/13/2013 9:10:01 PM
People who think "eternal life" means "life after death" are committing severe eisegesis on their holy text. That literally wasn't a concern of Jews in the first century or before.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#14LastManStandingPosted 2/13/2013 9:14:54 PM
charey posted...
LastManStanding posted...
Be as vague or as specific as you wish What made you believe God or Gods exist?

Eternal life.
My Catholic faith was given to me by my parents. So I been a child of God since very little.

So the only reason you are a Christian is Pascal's wager? I don't think God would be fooled a mercenary belief made just for your reward. That is without mentioning that Pascal's wager is a false dichotomy.

If you are going to be a Christian it needs to be for the love of God, if you are only in it for the reward you will not get the reward.

Eternal life is achieved through love, faith, and hope, but mostly love.
---
Divine Mercy - God Loves you as a sinner.
Christ Said: Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588) Day of Mercy was declared in 2000
#15SirThinkALotPosted 2/13/2013 9:26:02 PM
Iamvegito posted...
People who think "eternal life" means "life after death" are committing severe eisegesis on their holy text. That literally wasn't a concern of Jews in the first century or before.

Yea, while first century(possibly earlier) Jews did believe in some kind of ressurection at the end times, their main concern was with God's chosen land and people in the now. Even their Messianic hope was rooted in the re-establishment of Israel as a nation, not with ushering in ressurection. If you look at the OT, discussions of future ressurection or life after death were rare, and unclear.

It was really Christianity that brought the idea of a future ressurection to the fore-front of their theology. No doubt in large part because of their belief in the ressurection of Jesus.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#16IamvegitoPosted 2/13/2013 9:33:23 PM
It was really Christianity that brought the idea of a future ressurection to the fore-front of their theology. No doubt in large part because of their belief in the ressurection of Jesus.

To phrase it differently, neither Jesus nor Paul would have really thought much about "life after death." Paul muses about it on two separate occasions, but that's pretty tangential to the main focus of his letters.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#17Faust_8Posted 2/14/2013 12:12:48 AM
Unfair is still exactly fitting into the "New Atheist that's new to the board" stereotype, isn't he.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#18toxicpiePosted 2/14/2013 1:56:50 AM
Bread goes in; toast comes out. You can't explain that.

Really, though, bad situation and I prayed and just felt better. That's what got me started, I guess. And like Polish, I've had so many of my prayers answered. =]
#19WelshGamer82Posted 2/14/2013 1:58:18 AM
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.
#20UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 5:01:06 AM
SirThinkALot posted...
SirThinkALot posted...

Such as?

The beginnings of Christianity, meta-ethics,

How do these make no sense without God?
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg