This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you believe in God?

#21Marvel ManPosted 2/14/2013 9:46:45 AM
WelshGamer82 posted...
Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.

brb, reconverting.
---
My steel has been tainted by the blood of a weakling!
"Goku would win because Gohan is stronger."
#22WelshGamer82Posted 2/14/2013 10:07:36 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1058/236985-flawlessvictory_large.jpg
#23Moorish_IdolPosted 2/14/2013 10:54:46 AM
Iamvegito posted...
People who think "eternal life" means "life after death" are committing severe eisegesis on their holy text. That literally wasn't a concern of Jews in the first century or before.

This interests me. What does "eternal life" mean to the Jews?
#24stevo6452Posted 2/14/2013 2:02:05 PM(edited)
The universe is too weird to have emerged in it's current form. The physics that allow the existence of biological life are on a knife edge (or so I have been told).

There's also the riddle of consciousness....
#25ThuggernautzPosted 2/14/2013 2:50:27 PM(edited)
stevo6452 posted...
The universe is too weird to have emerged in it's current form. The physics that allow the existence of biological life are on a knife edge (or so I have been told).

There's also the riddle of consciousness....

What exactly are you comparing it to? Do you have an example of another universe in which life didn't arise? Need I remind you that as far as we know, out of the trillions of stars and billions upon billions of planets, there is only one we know of that contains life? And that life took billions of years to evolve, and went through multiple almost crippling extinction events? That dozens of species go extinct every day? I wouldn't call those conditions or physics perfect for life, nor could I even make a judgement call about physics being on a 'knife's edge'; it is not hard to imagine a universe teeming with intelligent beings and habitable planets. If God designed this universe for us, he sure did a terrible job of it.
#26Faust_8Posted 2/15/2013 12:29:46 AM
Not to mention it's simply "the universe makes me incredulous, therefore God."

And "God" being a very specific god to boot.

It's the Argument From Ignorance/Incredulity fallacy.

And like Thug said, the weirdness of the universe can be seen as evidence AGAINST some all-powerful designer. Look into quantum mechanics and try to see the divine in THAT chaos. It was a god who made a beam of electrons act as a wave when passing through double slits but act like a particle when passing through double slits while being measured?

"Compatible" with god isn't the same as "suggests" god. Nothing we know of the universe suggests a god, though you can perceive the universe as compatible with one given that you're pretty flexible with your god's purpose and method of design.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#27bratt100Posted 2/15/2013 12:39:58 AM
I just love how they find the universe to complex so they make an even more complex being to create it.
---
If you believe in the flying Spaghetti Monster and are 100% proud of it copy this to your sig.
#28IamvegitoPosted 2/15/2013 7:15:08 AM
Iamvegito posted...
People who think "eternal life" means "life after death" are committing severe eisegesis on their holy text. That literally wasn't a concern of Jews in the first century or before.

Well, the phrase in the Bible "eternal life" is a Greek translation of a Hebrew idea of "the life of the age to come." The idea is that the world will be different. The Messiah was thought of as a military leader, while Jesus was a political prophet. One cannot glean "afterlife!" from that phrase.

Similarly, "salvation" is a this-world self-transformation that yields a new view of the world, that can lead to world-transformation.

Naturally, 99.9% of Christians get this wrong and just want to avoid hellfire in the afterlife. This. Is. Wrong.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#29UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 7:57:48 AM
Iamvegito posted...
Iamvegito posted...

Well, the phrase in the Bible "eternal life" is a Greek translation of a Hebrew idea of "the life of the age to come." The idea is that the world will be different. The Messiah was thought of as a military leader, while Jesus was a political prophet. One cannot glean "afterlife!" from that phrase.

Similarly, "salvation" is a this-world self-transformation that yields a new view of the world, that can lead to world-transformation.

Naturally, 99.9% of Christians get this wrong and just want to avoid hellfire in the afterlife. This. Is. Wrong.

Or you're wrong
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#30IamvegitoPosted 2/15/2013 8:08:44 AM
Or you're wrong

HA! Insult the Biblical scholar because he doesn't support your view of what Christianity should be.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."