This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you believe in God?

#51UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 7:44:36 AM(edited)
So you're terrified of expressing your beliefs because people you will never meet might think they're stupid?

I hate to break it to you but more people are going to think that logic is stupid than your beliefs.

Unless you're a Scientologist or something.
---
^ Hey now that's completely unfair.
http://i.imgur.com/45yVrRr.jpg
#52GBALoserPosted 2/19/2013 8:01:56 AM
I could tell you I've seen things that convinced me we are part of some timeline predetermined. I could tell you I have seen images of things that should not exist in this reality. And at the end of the day, it would not matter. They are things that defy a logical explanation, something you so dearly wish for all spiritual conversions. For me, it's more a waste of time to explain than fear of ridicule.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#53UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:08:55 AM(edited)
GBALoser posted...
I could tell you I've seen things that convinced me we are part of some timeline predetermined. I could tell you I have seen images of things that should not exist in this reality. And at the end of the day, it would not matter. They are things that defy a logical explanation, something you so dearly wish for all spiritual conversions. For me, it's more a waste of time to explain than fear of ridicule.

Yet you waste more time than it would ever have spent to explain yourself by explaining why you wildly dodge and evade the question for fear or ridicule.

Although I don't fully blame you, if you're so terrified of the response that you're unwilling to say it, and your defense for the evasion is "It's not logical or rational but I believe it anyway." then what you believe sounds like it's probably kinda crazy.

In fact I'm not unconvinced at you are a Scientologist or perhaps a Mormon.
---
#54GBALoserPosted 2/19/2013 8:19:55 AM
Congratulations. No reading comprehension.

You're proving why no one takes you seriously here. Calling people with beliefs foreign to your own sound crazy.

Again, refer to my original post.

GBALoser posted...
Moorish_Idol posted...
I would answer you but you have a pattern of calling things you don't understand "stupid" and I don't want to encourage your bad habit.

---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#55UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:24:29 AM
If you hate me for believing you spending all this time and effort to explain why you won't take the time and effort to explain why you believe in something, while admitting it's irrational/illogical and stating you're afraid to state it because it would be ridiculed... is an indicator that you might believe something crazy... then yes you're going to hate me a fair bit.

I could lie if you prefer and pretend that was reasonable? But I personally would find that highly disrespectful and insulting.
---
#56GBALoserPosted 2/19/2013 8:33:47 AM
It's funny you think I hate you for being an atheist.

No. The reason I care not for your presence is your general attitude toward everyone here. When theists and atheists are calling you out for your attitude, it isn't just me. It isn't for fear of "ridicule of faith." It's for the fact that you do not seem to grasp faith of any kind on any level, be it secular or theistic. You're "trying" to use "logic" to provide counterpoints, but it comes out as you calling all non-Vulcan emotions "stupid."

And, you've outed me. I'm a Scientologist Mormon Wiccan. Or not.
---
#57UnfairRepresent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:47:24 AM
GBALoser posted...
It's funny you think I hate you for being an atheist.

I never said that. But thanks for showing your hand.

No. The reason I care not for your presence is your general attitude toward everyone here. When theists and atheists are calling you out for your attitude, it isn't just me. It isn't for fear of "ridicule of faith." It's for the fact that you do not seem to grasp faith of any kind on any level, be it secular or theistic. You're "trying" to use "logic" to provide counterpoints, but it comes out as you calling all non-Vulcan emotions "stupid."

And why do you care so much about whether or not I "grasp" your self-confessed non-logical belief?

And even more importantly why do you care so insanely much on why I must be forced to understand and comprehend why you care so much that it literally forces you to not explain yourself?

I don't buy it. I just think you're embarrassed by your beliefs. Nobody would spend this much effort to explain why they're avoiding taking so little effort to explain how they feel because someone they don't know "might" think they're stupid.

That in itself is stupid. I'm afraid all your efforts have been for naught. And caused the very thing you were trying to prevent.

And, you've outed me. I'm a Scientologist Mormon Wiccan. Or not.

When did I mention Wiccans?
---
#58GBALoserPosted 2/19/2013 10:14:44 AM
UnfairRepresent posted...

And why do you care so much about whether or not I "grasp" your self-confessed non-logical belief?

And even more importantly why do you care so insanely much on why I must be forced to understand and comprehend why you care so much that it literally forces you to not explain yourself?

It's not a matter of forcing my beliefs or anyone else's down your throat. But from the beginning you've come off as anyone else's beliefs that don't match your own are somehow inferior. You don't seem to understand that faith is using both logical arguments and emotional influence, and any attempt by both atheists and theists to explain this to you is just met with you saying, "Well, that's stupid." It's a circular argument. You don't appear to be willing to understand anyone else's faith. That's what's irritating.

I don't buy it. I just think you're embarrassed by your beliefs. Nobody would spend this much effort to explain why they're avoiding taking so little effort to explain how they feel because someone they don't know "might" think they're stupid.

That in itself is stupid. I'm afraid all your efforts have been for naught. And caused the very thing you were trying to prevent.

"Be as vague or as specific as you wish What made you believe God or Gods exist?"

Your words.

That I've already told you my beliefs, yet you've not been able to discern what I've said, again shows that you'd rather point out that anyone having faith of any kind should be ridiculed.

I never said that. But thanks for showing your hand.

Well, if I showed you my hand, there's a purpose to it.
---
#59zero8691Posted 2/19/2013 11:05:10 AM
UnfairRepresent posted...
Be as vague or as specific as you wish What made you believe God or Gods exist?

Because he's real.
---
If Judeo-Christian God exists, he creates and destroys indiscriminately. He loves and hates all. That's pretty badass
#60De EvolutionPosted 2/19/2013 12:02:21 PM
DeadPresidents2 posted...
I've always naturally gravitated towards having humility about the unknown

Claims to have humility about the unknown
Believes in an unproven and unfalsifiable deity

---
All I got is beef with those that violate me
I shall annihilate thee