This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Apparently, Republicans and Democrats pray quite differently...

#1Barenziah Boy ToyPosted 2/13/2013 4:56:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/interactive-how-democrats-and-republicans-pray-differently-223145251.html

Excerpts:
Several times a month, the chaplain of the House of Representatives invites guest chaplains from around the country to deliver an opening prayer for that day’s proceedings. In many cases, these guests come recommended by a particular member of Congress. Since 2000, more than 600 individuals have invoked God’s blessing on the chamber: 293 sponsored by Republicans, 178 by Democrats, and 172 for whom the House Chaplain’s website lists no sponsoring member.

Democrats and Republicans really do pray differently. Republican-sponsored guest chaplains are far more likely to invoke Jesus by name. By contrast, the more generic “spiritual” is considerably more likely to be heard coming from a Democrat-sponsored chaplain.

The picture that emerges is one in which the two parties are concerned with opposite sides of the God-man divide: Republicans seem more concerned with God’s work in heaven, Democrats with his work on earth. (This is a popular refrain for Democratic presidents. In his second inaugural, Obama called freedom “a gift from God, it must be secured by His people here on Earth,” a clear echo of President John F. Kennedy’s inaugural.)

Guest chaplains sponsored by Democrats are more likely to use words like “together” and “people,” while those sponsored by Republicans are more likely to say “father” and “heaven.” Democrats say “compassion,” Republicans say “mercy.” Democrats say “goodness,” Republicans say “glory.”

Interesting but totally expected of Republicans.
---
You don't need a treaty to have free trade. M Rothbard
{Self-Hating Token Asian of the Ivory Tower's Zionist Elite}
#2GBALoserPosted 2/13/2013 5:21:20 PM(edited)
This topic:

Uninteresting but totally expected of BBT.
---
Every once in a while I realize the human race may be worth saving. Of course, then I come back here, but still, those are good moments. -Readyman
#3SuibomPosted 2/13/2013 6:01:41 PM
So what you're saying, BBT, is that it sounds like one group knows how to pray Scripturally (or at least sound like they do) and the other doesn't.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#4Moorish_IdolPosted 2/13/2013 6:51:22 PM
American politics on the Religion board = horrible recipe.

If this turns into a debate... may god have mercy on our souls.
#5TheRealJiraiyaPosted 2/13/2013 6:58:48 PM
Suibom posted...
So what you're saying, BBT, is that it sounds like one group knows how to pray Scripturally (or at least sound like they do) and the other doesn't.

Looks like two halves of a whole prayer IMO
---
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. -Plato
http://tinyurl.com/JoinThisIRunIt
#6IamvegitoPosted 2/13/2013 7:11:35 PM
one group knows how to pray Scripturally't.

The Dems need to play the liberation theology up more (and act on it) if they want it to be "scriptural." The Republicans should just stop.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#7FlashOfLightPosted 2/13/2013 7:15:36 PM(edited)
There are varying ways to worship from these two groups because they tend to come from different family backgrounds under different economic conditions, as well as different cultural conditions due to where a family has immigrated to the United States from.

The families that come from an English background, tend to have Protestant roots mixed in somewhere among their family tree, while Polish and Hungarian immigrants tend to have a Catholic background. They have a very different approach to praying that they inherited from their respective families.

The demographics, when you look at Republican-leaning states, and Democrat-leaning states, have this quality in them, New York, for example, does not have the same religious tendencies as Texas does comparatively for the wider stems of their populations. Likewise, among those who grew up in Utah, they have a different level of importance than they give to religion compared to someone who grew up in New Jersey.

These are things, and subjects which I hope to differentiate as I work towards my Presidential campaign with how my own Party, which I founded; Republican Independent Democrats or R.I.D. will welcome in these demographical, historical, and cultural influences, so that people in the United States can better embrace the inherent differences that make up our nation.
---
Hi, do you have an unused or unwanted sig? Don't delay, we can help, write to Better Sig Now, P.O. Box 917, for an affordable, quality sig - Today!
#8SuibomPosted 2/13/2013 8:02:16 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Suibom posted...

Not praying in Jesus's name looks like half of a whole prayer IYO?!

Jesus said whatever we asked the Father in His name, He'd do. It's a matter of invoking that authority given to the church, and if they're not, then they're not praying according to the way Jesus told His followers to.

That's not half of anything.
---
"Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!
But the thunder of His power who can understand." - Job 24:14
#9IamvegitoPosted 2/13/2013 9:06:22 PM
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Suibom posted...

Not praying in Jesus's name looks like half of a whole prayer IYO?!

Jesus said whatever we asked the Father in His name, He'd do. It's a matter of invoking that authority given to the church, and if they're not, then they're not praying according to the way Jesus told His followers to.

That's not half of anything.

Pretending Jesus was an otherworldly speaker is 0% of a Christian prayer. He gave them the benefit of the doubt.
---
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."
#10Polish_CrusaderPosted 2/14/2013 1:50:08 PM
BBT is right. Democrats are far less likely to call on jesus and much more likely to be ashamed of his name. Theres a lot more real christians in the republican party, but i still disagree with a lot of republican policys, especially the ones on taxes (rich pay the least), and big business law.

Im an independent. I vote for what is right for the country regardless.