This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this picture as silly as it appears to be?

#11SirThinkALotPosted 2/13/2013 10:12:30 PM
mercurydude posted...
I think I became dumber for having read that. I also don't think whoever put that chart together ever heard of the ancient Greeks. Not to mention that the verse in Isaiah that they reference calls the earth a circle, not a sphere.

Theres no separate word for the two in Hebrew. So theres really no way of knowing what exactly Isaiah meant.

But yea I question some of these Biblical interpretations. And the science says earth sits on an animal is just silly.
---
Learn real history and economics at liberty Classroom
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/dap/a/?a=1305
#12OzymandiasIVPosted 2/13/2013 10:47:29 PM
But what's that have to do with bloodletting?

The "Science Then" column seems to be implying that those who practiced bloodletting did not think blood was vital to life. To the contrary, those who practiced bloodletting knew that it was necessary, which is why they never drained anyone from all their blood (otherwise the patient would die, and no one would have practiced bloodletting). The belief at the time was that blood and other humours within our bodies needed to be in equal measure to each other, so bloodletting was a way of releasing small amounts of blood to equalize it with the other humours. None of those practicing bloodletting thought blood was bad, or that we could live without it, as the chart implies.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#13dkcprjePosted 2/13/2013 10:50:17 PM
Bible: Do not allow a sorceress to live.
Science: Uh... Sorcerers don't exist.
Science: Hello?
---
I'm a b****.
#14OzymandiasIVPosted 2/13/2013 11:07:23 PM
Bible: Do not allow a sorceress to live.
Science: Uh... Sorcerers don't exist.
Science: Hello?

Bible: God created a formless form (Earth), then light, then morning and evening, then land and water (form), then the Sun and Stars that produce the previously-made light, then he made sea and air critters and *then* land critters, and then told man that every seed-bearing plant is edible, and he did this all in 6 God days...

Science then: (I don't know, "then" is a pretty broad and vague time frame)

Science Now: Yeah, that's pretty much all wrong.
---
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.
#15lastheroPosted 2/14/2013 1:42:46 AM
The fact that it doesn't tell you who 'Science Then' represents is pretty telling. The part about the ocean floor especially puzzles me - who ever thought the ocean floor was flat? Why would anyone think that? If the world above water is full of caverns and mountains and whatnot, why would anyone think that the world below water was any different?
---
X-Men: First Class RPG - Welcoming all new players!
[http://s1.zetaboards.com/New_Mutants/index/]
#16Hustle KongPosted 2/14/2013 5:51:25 AM
These kinds of "lol, the other guys" graphics/memes or whatever are almost always stupid beyond belief on both sides.
---
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
#17ThuggernautzPosted 2/14/2013 8:54:33 AM
1. No it isn't, it's an oblate spheroid.

2. They are not innumerable, there is a finite number. We can estimate that number. That current number is 9x10^21 stars. (9 sextillion).

3. Define free. Earth is bound by the Sun's gravity, the Sun by the Milky Way's.

4. Bulldust. Chinese astronomers were aware of the uniqueness of stars, and that stars could appear and disappear. Around the time of Jesus, they documented a supernova. And anyway, it wasn't until Giordano Bruno that people even knew that stars were actually celestial objects like our Sun, and that our Sun was a star.

5. I don't know where they got that interpretation from. That verse speaks of wisdom, and how God is the only one capable of true wisdom. That exact line as follows from the NIV:

When he established the force of the wind
and measured out the waters,

6. Yep, 'science' thought wind blew straight. No seafaring people had ever run into a squall, a storm, a cyclone or a hurricane before. Nope.

7. Sick people were bled to remove contaminants and poison from the blood. You know, the source of life and health. Derp.

8. Citation needed. Free divers have been diving deep for quite a long time. They know the floor of the ocean isn't flat.

9. Citation needed. I don't know of any source that said the ocean was only due to rainfall and rivers. In fact, most every civilization had their own creation story for the oceans, usually at the hand of a god or gods.

10. Certain Roman physicians already practiced this. So did the Sumerians, and the Mohenjo-Daro (Indus Valley Civilization) nearly 3000 years earlier.
#18the_hedonistPosted 2/15/2013 7:30:25 AM
I don't really have a bone to pick in this fight. I agree with TRJ that the Bible isn't really trying to teach science in those instances. Also, obviously the middle column is extremely oversimplified. I do have a question, though.

Thuggernautz posted...
2. They are not innumerable, there is a finite number. We can estimate that number. That current number is 9x10^21 stars. (9 sextillion).

Are there theoretically not many more? I am not implying that the amount is infinite, but that the amount is actually not possible to number; i.e. innumerable.

Perhaps the best estimation of the number of stars is 9 sextillion, but that is the best estimate of stars in the observable universe, right? Meaning that, quite possibly, there are objects (including stars) that are so far away that the light hasn't had the chance to reach us yet?

I cannot imagine what sort of technology what one would have to have in order to make the observable universe coincide with the actual universe, but it is safe to say that, at least at the time of the Bible's writing and today, the stars are innumerable.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#19the_hedonistPosted 2/15/2013 7:32:48 AM
Note that I am actually asking a question. This is not merely rhetorical. I am woefully ignorant in scientific matters, and I am always trying to learn more. So if someone who has more of a scientific or astronomical inclination, I would be delighted to learn something new.
---
"Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."
#20DoGCyNPosted 2/15/2013 7:32:50 AM
I also agree that the Bible doesn't seem to be really trying to teach science...however... the fact that a great many things in the Bible line up with science thousands of years before these things were discovered is pretty amazing all on its own.
---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10